Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

A Tale of Two GPS

Old 07-16-22, 12:25 PM
1sp33d

Bikes: 2022 Cervelo Caledonia -- 2022 Surly Ghost Grappler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 23 Posts
Epic fail on my part. I spent 20 minutes or so entering in the map yesterday only to have it not work at the beginning of the ride. Took a few wrong turns, the garmin kept telling me to make a u-turn lol. I had to go the whole ride not knowing speed, where I was, where to go, etc. Looks like I'll need to spend more time figuring it out or maybe even read the manual (no vomit emoji)

Last edited by 1sp33d; 07-16-22 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-16-22, 01:03 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,302 Times in 1,112 Posts
That sounds similar to my first attempt to follow a route sent to my Garmin. I planned to start and stop at my house and as soon as I got around the corner Garmin tried to reroute me back home.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-16-22, 01:30 PM
1sp33d

Bikes: 2022 Cervelo Caledonia -- 2022 Surly Ghost Grappler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
That sounds similar to my first attempt to follow a route sent to my Garmin. I planned to start and stop at my house and as soon as I got around the corner Garmin tried to reroute me back home.
Do you know what you did wrong? I still don't really know. My only guess is that I started the garmin about 400 yards or so past the start point I entered.
Old 07-16-22, 01:40 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,302 Times in 1,112 Posts
Honestly I don't know what I did wrong. I really didn't get my Garmin for navigation, I wanted it mostly to be more visible than my watch I had been recording rides with. I think I may have used it one other time to follow a route and I don't recall that I had an issue the second time. Also this was a couple or three years ago and the Garmin to Strava integration has improved since then. When I tried it, it was necessary to have a Strava widget or something installed on the Garmin for sending routes from Strava to the computer.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-16-22, 01:41 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by 1sp33d
Do you know what you did wrong? I still don't really know. My only guess is that I started the garmin about 400 yards or so past the start point I entered.
If you are doing a loop, end the loop short. Don’t bring the course all the way back to the start point.

That is, wherever you start the course, you want to be closer to the start of the course than the end of it.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-16-22, 05:47 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I grew up on tech. old dude here. I hate touch screen in the car ( radio, heater & A/C ) prefer buttons. I hate ipads/tablets prefer a laptop/desktop. I hate typing on my iphone, will always switch over to my desktop to text someone on FB or whatsapp. I prefer my fenix watch with buttons to my friends iwatch touch screen when using it for hiking/running.

On the bicycle though I love my touch screen 1030+ I have tried several wahoo products with buttons and the garmin 130+ with buttons. I was lucky enough to try the products side by side while riding my bike 20+ miles.
Likes For sean.hwy: