Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Quick Release Skewer for Trainer

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 06-20-22, 01:32 PM
tessellahedron

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I have a ten speed bike with a 5 speed rear wheel hub that measures 120mm wide. So I need a 120mm trainer skewer, or at least a compatible 120mm enclosed cam skewer.

Where can I find that? The stuff I'm seeing online is either the wrong length or expensive vintage parts that I can't be certain will fit the trainer.

As a workaround I thought about installing a standard axle and adding on those quick release adapter ends. They should fit the trainer but I'm nervous they won't be strong enough.

The forum won't let me post pictures or even a link so you'll have to imagine.
Old 06-29-22, 07:07 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Without pictures, it's hard to understand your set up. Most indoor bike on trainers have a clamp and release which goes over your rear wheel, the one side for the M5 bike nut and the other for the QR handle. The trainer should accommodate a wheel mounted with standard bolts as well.

Is the problem because the rear forks are not wide enough to hold the bike in the trainer? I had problems fitting an older steel bike in my trainer a few years back so I picked up a second hand aluminum road bike instead but I know others do it with no problems.