Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

2 Questions!

Old 08-07-22, 05:54 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
2 Questions!

#1 Got a new tablet and want a screen protector. I see that there are different types. Anyone have a suggestion? I have jsed cheap ones on other units bjt I always struggle with air bubbles.
#2 Will be travelling to Europe and will need a mobile plan for our unlocked phone. My question is are there "different" SIM cards for different plans ,with in the same company, or is it a generic card that would work with different plans?
Thanks!
Old 08-07-22, 12:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I've been impressed with the Skinomi Techskin that I've put on several cell phones. It doesn't care if you leave bubbles as they seem to go away. I even had a piece of large dust get on one phone and though it looked terrible immediately after the install, a few days later the air gap around it was gone and the spec of dust very unnoticeable.

Skinomi TechSkin - Cell Phone Cases, Screen Protectors, Skins, Shields, Covers

Cell phones in other countries really depend on your particular carrier and what you really plan on doing more of as well as the particular country you are in. Though I'd think Europe more standardized than some other places. However I haven't been back to Europe since cell phones were even a thing.

Text, Talk or browse, be aware of what the plan limits are on each. Even with a unlocked phone, your own carrier might have a inexpensive plan you can do for a month. Particularly if just data and text is all you need. In some cases it might be cheaper to buy a burner phone for over there and forward your number to it. And there are week long or month long plans you can buy and just swap a sim card, but be sure to look for the gotcha's.

Friends that have recently done the trip can be a help here. Find out if they had horror stories or it was a non issue for them.

And so this isn't just random foo conversation in the wrong forum. Lets make it bicycle related and say that the color of your bike and the type of cyclometer you have might be faster in one county than in another. But only when lighted with the proper light and video'd by a sports action camera made for cycling.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-07-22 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-09-22, 05:27 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
#1 Got a new tablet and want a screen protector. I see that there are different types. Anyone have a suggestion? I have jsed cheap ones on other units bjt I always struggle with air bubbles.
#2 Will be travelling to Europe and will need a mobile plan for our unlocked phone. My question is are there "different" SIM cards for different plans ,with in the same company, or is it a generic card that would work with different plans?
Thanks!
#1, get something that is glass. I've been putting these types on my teenagers iPhones and iPads for several years and while I have had to replace numerous screen protectors, they've yet to scratch or crack the actual screen.

#2, what country(s) are you going to be travelling in? Which one do you arrive to first? Are they all EU members? Regardless, your options are (1) see if your US carrier has a plan; Verizon for instance has a $100/mo plan that gets 250min voice, 1000 SMS, and 5GB data using your current SIM and retaining your US mobile number; (2) buy a cheap prepaid SIM (that can be reloaded), typically around 10€, with 1-2GB of data and some amount of voice credit included in the SIM purchase; or, (3) look into an eSIM option, like Airalo; I have no experience with these, but from I can tell they are hit or miss. I'd recommend using the 2nd route, physically swapping SIM cards is easy and for the price is a bargain. It was how we handled mobile coverage for the first few months we lived in Europe when we moved here in 2017 until we got set up with a mobile plan. Remember also, due to EU regulation, there are no roaming fees when travelling between countries in the EU. Option 2, for example, could be purchased in say Denmark, and then used in Germany, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, and the Netherlands with no extra fees. Switzerland has a per day roaming fee, but the UK does not.