Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Prescription glasses for cycling?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Prescription glasses for cycling?

Old 11-16-22, 11:29 PM
Vinnems

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Was checking out a few of the links posted and most of the glasses look like normal glasses. I was thinking cycling glasses were a more distinct type of glasses like these:

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product...2143587&size=L

The glass curves around to protect from wind and debris, lenses are "higher" up to compensate for looking up when in the more aggressive positions, and some kind of magic material on the nose that keeps it from sliding down or moving much at all.

I've ridden for many years with just normal prescription glasses and have always suffered from them sliding down my face, or when they do stay put with the use of a strap, not being "high" enough that I end up looking over them when in the drops. Was aiming to get something more tailored to cycling.
Old 11-17-22, 04:38 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
I'd recommend asking for recommendations from your optometrist. The problem I run into is finding frameless PPE that aren't huge looking.
Old 11-17-22, 07:01 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 707 Times in 345 Posts
'68 Tour champion Jan Jansen had style!

Old 11-17-22, 07:32 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I have chronic dry eye so need good protection from the wind which also accommodates lense inserts. So I went through 4 sets of cycling glasses that accommodate inserts until I found these for a whopping $18 with three lenses including Photocromatic. They are Chinese brand X-Tiger. If I break them of lose them, its no big deal. I have 4000 test miles on them and would recommend for the budget conscious.

https://xtigersport.com/collections/...39609873793217. But I bought mine through AliExpress and they were far cheaper.
It looks like those are the Myopia inserts. Right? From what I saw i assume you need to have them ground to your prescription by your optician. It has been decades, but when I dealt with that the local ones were not helpful. Was that an issue for you? I wound up buying glasses that sold inserts that were already ground to specific diopter values like drug store reading glasses. That worked out okay (I wore them on a coast to coast tour and a bunch of other riding) until I later had some Project Rudys made for me.

In recent years I have been wearing some regular glasses with large lenses that give good coverage and stay up well. The transitions coating has sufficed in lieu of real sunglasses.

At one point I had two identical pairs of avaitor frames one with a dark tint and one clear and I just switched between them depending on the activity and weather.

I may revisit all this when I next get an eye exam if there is a change in my prescription.
Old 11-17-22, 08:30 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinnems
I've ridden for many years with just normal prescription glasses and have always suffered from them sliding down my face, or when they do stay put with the use of a strap, not being "high" enough that I end up looking over them when in the drops. Was aiming to get something more tailored to cycling.
It sounds like you need some Oakleys 😁

I also rode for many years with normal prescription glasses, in fact I still do much of the time. Mine work OK except for sun, rain, and high speeds (eyes water so much I can't see). I recently got some Oakleys which have been staying on really well and also have a fantastic field of view. I don't particularly like the look of those sports frames off the bike so I got more normal looking ones: https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product...t=888392269805. They were designed for sports activities and stay on extremely well without any strap, and I don't have to look like a jock when I wear them to the beach.
Old 11-17-22, 09:04 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
While I was blind as a bat without glasses, SportRx found some cycling glasses I could wear; Rudy Project, in my case. Good people to work with, and the glasses were very good.

Since I had my cataracts taken out last year, things got a lot! easier. And less expensive. Bolle or Tifosi reading sunglasses work well for me, I need the reading inserts to deal with near vision tasks like fixing flats. Sigh.
Old 11-17-22, 09:29 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
While I was blind as a bat without glasses, SportRx found some cycling glasses I could wear; Rudy Project, in my case. Good people to work with, and the glasses were very good.
You had better luck with them than I did. Maybe they are good for single lenz. The progressives I got sucked and I returned them.
Old 11-17-22, 10:01 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
I use regular wire frame glasses with progressive, photochromic lenses. I bought 2 pair, one that's clear indoors and another that starts out dark for driving. I usually wear the latter on the bike. They work great. Over the decades, my eyes have gotten so that they don't water in a bit of wind.
Old 11-17-22, 10:10 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Lombard
You had better luck with them than I did. Maybe they are good for single lenz. The progressives I got sucked and I returned them.
I got progressives from them and mine were great. It can be an issue getting the different parts of the prescription in the right pace especially for glasses used on the bike.

Sometimes it might be better to just use bifocals with a line for riding and have the close prescription a little low so you need to go out of your way a bit to use it.
Old 11-17-22, 10:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
I did get the single vision. I tried progressives for my regular glasses for a while and then went back to bifocals. Didn't need the bifocals on bike glasses because I could take my glasses off and read up close.

FWIW, I'd only go to two places (that I know of) for progressive lenses, and both of those have experienced opticians and could fit glasses to my face in person. Because my 'script was so bad (-11 D), it would be a real challenge to build good progressive lenses remotely for me. YMMV.
Old 11-17-22, 10:29 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

I did get the single vision. I tried progressives for my regular glasses for a while and then went back to bifocals. Didn't need the bifocals on bike glasses because I could take my glasses off and read up close.

FWIW, I'd only go to two places (that I know of) for progressive lenses, and both of those have experienced opticians and could fit glasses to my face in person. Because my 'script was so bad (-11 D), it would be a real challenge to build good progressive lenses remotely for me. YMMV.
Progressives generally work well for me because my top Rx isn't that strong - an astigmatic correction and +1.5. My bottom Rx adds +2.5.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-17-22, 10:38 AM
staehpj1

Since I had my cataracts taken out last year, things got a lot! easier. And less expensive. Bolle or Tifosi reading sunglasses work well for me, I need the reading inserts to deal with near vision tasks like fixing flats. Sigh.
I googled the Tifosi reading sunglasses and like the looks of that solution if I do get cataract surgery. My eye doc said I was looking at that in the not too distant future and I haven't been back for a checkup for three years so I may be due by now. I don't want to rush into a surgery, but that one sounds like a good thing. I think some of my brothers had it by about my age (71).
Old 11-17-22, 01:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
It looks like those are the Myopia inserts. Right? From what I saw i assume you need to have them ground to your prescription by your optician. It has been decades, but when I dealt with that the local ones were not helpful. Was that an issue for you? I wound up buying glasses that sold inserts that were already ground to specific diopter values like drug store reading glasses. That worked out okay (I wore them on a coast to coast tour and a bunch of other riding) until I later had some Project Rudys made for me.

In recent years I have been wearing some regular glasses with large lenses that give good coverage and stay up well. The transitions coating has sufficed in lieu of real sunglasses.

At one point I had two identical pairs of avaitor frames one with a dark tint and one clear and I just switched between them depending on the activity and weather.

I may revisit all this when I next get an eye exam if there is a change in my prescription.
I took the inserts to my optical shop along with my most recent prescription and told them (gasp) bi-Focals, so I can read the map apps when needed. For about $65 I got the new lenses but without all the usual add-ons like anti-glare, scratch resistant, etc.

My wife wears her oversized (current trend) prescription sunglasses and they work fine, but she doesn’t have dry eye.

Old 11-17-22, 02:29 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
I'm sensitive to the sun, and I've had trouble for years with the sun getting to my eyes between the top of my prescription sunglasses and eyebrows. I've found progressives to be imperfect but better than bifocals. I just got transitional lenses, and I really like them. I bought a pair like these this Summer, and they have been GREAT - pretty ugly, though.... Something like, but not exactly, these: https://www.libertysport.com/slam-xl.html. LibertySport is the brand I got.
Old 11-25-22, 06:47 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I got Oakley glasses with progressive and polarized transition lenses. It was expensive but well worth it for me. I like starting my endurance weekend rides hours before dawn sometimes, and wearing my previous non-transition sun glasses was a bit dangerous. It was way too dark. With the transition lenses, I can go out an hour or two before dawn and continue, without changing glasses, as the bright Florida sun comes out. I also use a croakies strap to prevent the need for me to adjust my glasses every minute or two.
Old 11-25-22, 10:21 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I got Oakley glasses with progressive and polarized transition lenses. It was expensive but well worth it for me. I like starting my endurance weekend rides hours before dawn sometimes, and wearing my previous non-transition sun glasses was a bit dangerous. It was way too dark. With the transition lenses, I can go out an hour or two before dawn and continue, without changing glasses, as the bright Florida sun comes out. I also use a croakies strap to prevent the need for me to adjust my glasses every minute or two.
Which Oakley glasses did you get? Were they wrap arounds?
Old 11-25-22, 01:03 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Which Oakley glasses did you get? Were they wrap arounds?
I got the Flak or the Half Jacket. I needed separate lenses for the prescription, but I wanted wide glasses.
Old 11-25-22, 03:03 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I got the Flak or the Half Jacket. I needed separate lenses for the prescription, but I wanted wide glasses.
Thanks! I'll have to look into this.
Old 11-25-22, 09:59 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 750 Posts
I use Oakleys, a version with the word "flak" in it, but I can't tell you which one without looking it up. I have progressive lenses, with a few other bells and whistles - polarized, and some sort of coatings/treatments on the lenses to make them stand up to abuse.

They were very expensive, and I was pretty sheepish about spending the money. But I've had them for several years, using them for riding, skiing and occasional general use. I'm relatively careful with them, but I tell you, the lenses and frames can handle a lot less-than-perfect usage. Like most equipment you use hard and frequently, these things have really been a good value for me.

They are comfortable and extremely durable, both in the frame and the lens. I've replaced the nose pads a couple of times. Compared to the cheap sunglasses I've always used, the lenses are obviously better in clarity and durability. The way they're designed, I've found, makes them significantly less apt to fog up when I'm skiing. Very happy with them.

The most important thing is how they fit your face. Try on as many brands and models as you can.

I like these Oakleys well enough, well enough to not bother shopping around for another frame. But I'm not 100% satisfied with the fit. Maybe 85-90% satisfied. They're very comfortable, but next time I'm looking, I'll have more of an idea of what sort of lens shape and frame fit I'm looking for. I wasn't quite that aware when I bought the Oakleys.

I do have simple sporty-looking tinted safety glasses with cheaters in them which I keep around in case I forget the Oakleys, and I use yellow and clear safety glasses with cheaters for when the Oakleys are too dark for the conditions. They work great too, but don't have the (very minor) correction I have which makes evertying a bit sharper.

Last edited by Camilo; 11-25-22 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-01-22, 03:32 PM
Vinnems

Follow up on this. I was disappointed to learn, though no sure why I thought otherwise, that the large Oakley glasses weren't large prescription lenses. Turns out they embed smaller lenses into the large lenses, so you don't get much more FOV than a smaller pair of glasses worn under.
I ended up getting a pair of Rudy Project Inkas, since I liked the look, that it's made in Italy, and the lenses are pretty dang big! Also like how I can swap lenses out of the frame in case my prescription changes (I'm getting old...), and also the dedicated flip up sunglasses portion.
Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions!
Old 12-01-22, 08:21 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Originally Posted by Vinnems
Follow up on this. I was disappointed to learn, though no sure why I thought otherwise, that the large Oakley glasses weren't large prescription lenses.
Which models? I have the Holbrook Metals (I put link above) and the entire lens is prescription. I think most of their other glasses are like this as well.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 12-01-22, 08:32 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 750 Posts
My Oakleys are prescription lenses, not inserts. I do know that lenses with a lot of curve like the Oakley Flak (whatever) that I have can only handle corrections to a certain extent.
Old 12-01-22, 10:16 PM
Vinnems

I was looking at the type like the Jawbreaker. The dealer showed me that they don't take inserts, but they actually embed a smaller lens in the bigger glass, which is actually pretty cool but not what I was looking for. A few of the other larger visor type ones was what I was really interested in, as I thought I'd get a huge field of view. Of course their more traditional type glasses you can get with prescription lenses.
Old 12-02-22, 01:03 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Yes it looks like Oakley Jawbreaker, Radar, and M2 have dual lenses, but none of the other Oakleys do. Your Rudys look something like my Holbrooks. I had some Rudys like the Jawbreaker's with prescription and it was a single lens but the field of view was not very good.
Old 12-24-23, 06:30 PM
geneg

Bikes: Cannondale BadBoy 2001, BadBoy Ultra 2005

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any updates for 2023/2024? Any non overprised sugestions? Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.