Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Giant Peloton 1988

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-23, 12:17 PM
FrederikFelding

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Peloton 1988

Hi guys,

I've found a second hand Giant Peloton that seems to be in quite good shape (correct me if I'm wrong).
I've attached the photos that the seller has provided, and I want to hear you guys opinion on what's good and what's bad about the bike. I don't know much about this model myself, or have much experience on buying second hand bikes, so I would greatly appreciate some help :-).

According to the seller it has Shimano Exage action, and the wheels should be Rigida rims with Fortezza hand-made Vredestein tires, and the frame should be 55 cm and I'm about 178 cm. Also the bike should be from 1988.
The bike is priced at 3750 DKK (I live in Denmark) which corresponds to about 530$ - although the danish market is usually a bit more expensive than the american.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced bike (for me no more than about 600$) to be used primarily for transportation (about 20-30km per day). And perhaps a bit of road cycling in the weekends, although this is not the primary purpose

Apparently I'm not allowed to post links or images, but the images can be found on Imgur at "imgur.com/a/9rHiLdQ" :-).
Old 03-08-23, 02:02 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 140 Posts
I feel steel Giants are underrated but no.

That is a €100 bike.
Old 03-08-23, 02:34 PM
jasoninohio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
If you are looking for vintage late 80s/early 90s road you can do better for that money. If you just need a bike to ride a bike shop should definitely be able to set you up with something newer that would work on your budget...
Old 03-08-23, 05:18 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
From my perspective the price is at least $200 usd too much. Should be $200-300 usd. Great frame, average components. Won't take tire wider than 25mm, thus I'm not in favor of using it for commuting, but will work if necessary.
As said in a previous post, Giant steel frames are underrated.
Old 03-08-23, 05:40 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 3,691 Times in 1,820 Posts
Agree with assessments above, nice bike but overpriced for what it is. I was less sure about European market but listings below seem to confirm yes
https://retrobikerotterdam.com/produ...1m-shimano-105 - 280 euro
https://retrobikerotterdam.com/produ...oton-7200-62cm - 320 euro
Old 03-09-23, 12:00 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 140 Posts
That is one hell of an overpriced bike shop, more than likely geared towards export/foreign buyers

Going rate for a Giant Peloton on Marktplaats (which more than likely is where this shop gets its merch) is much lower than that.

Likes For Mackers: