Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hafny mirror experiences?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-19-21, 04:31 PM
VicBC_Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts

I bought a bar end mirror by Hafny, to use on my road bike.
Expensive.

When I went to install it today, I was surprised at the small diameter of the 'plug' that goes into the end of the bar.
The bar ID is about 21 mm , the plug will adjust between 16mm and a little more than19 mm before the plastic plug on the end (with captive nut) starts spinning.
Then, I couldn't loosen the bolt either. Luckily the mirror was still so loose that I could just pull it out of the bar.

The plug has two very small grooves that are supposed to engage the split bushing. Once the bushing expands, the grooves don't engage any more and the plug just spins.
Compare the mirror plug to a proper fitting bar-end plug.

Old 06-20-21, 06:16 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,389 Times in 2,734 Posts
Some enthusiastic accessorizers in this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...nd-mirror.html. Maybe PM some of them?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-20-21, 08:41 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
If you bought it from Amazon, and it's the one that lists it as fitting " Fits 14.8~23 mm inside diameter", return it. Or, could you put a strip of Gorilla tape on a portion of the plug to take up the slack?
Likes For freeranger:
Old 06-20-21, 10:45 AM
VicBC_Biker

Thanks for the input.
I put a shim made from a piece of plastic tubing (split) at the base of the inserted section and it tightened up OK.
But for the $$ charged, I didn't expect to have to do that.

First ride with it this morning - getting it adjusted will take a bit more experimenting. I also need to tighten the tension screw which presses on the ball mount, as the mirror needs to be pretty much locked in place to keep it from moving after bumps in the road.
Old 06-20-21, 01:16 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I've bought 3 of different Hafny bar end mirrors over the years. I didn't think $15 was expensive. Maybe you got the one with real glass instead of the stainless steel mirror?

Excellent mirror BTW. Small but doesn't rattle and stays put (until you bump it putting the bike away)
Old 06-20-21, 01:28 PM
VicBC_Biker

Everything is much more expensive in or shipped to Canada (and CAD vs USD makes things seem more expensive to me).
Yes, my Hafny has glass, and it's the convex model with the teardrop shape.
And, yes, I have to learn to be more careful leaning the bike when I put it away.

It used to just be a matter of taking care of the derailleur - now there's the brake rotor on the other side, and now the mirror too...
Old 06-21-21, 06:54 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
You are missing the shim included by Hafny in the package. I know this because I swapped a Hafney mirror to my wife's new road bike and it wouldn't tighten. I googled the instructions and saw with shim was supposed to be fitted. When I looked in the bar of her old bike, the shim had stuck inside when I removed the mirror.
Old 06-21-21, 09:17 AM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by redcon1
You are missing the shim included by Hafny in the package. I know this because I swapped a Hafney mirror to my wife's new road bike and it wouldn't tighten. I googled the instructions and saw with shim was supposed to be fitted. When I looked in the bar of her old bike, the shim had stuck inside when I removed the mirror.
The package was a clear bag, with tape to close it. Inside was a piece of cardboard with the mirror zip-tied to it.
There wasn't a shim included, and it wasn't mentioned in the instructions on the card.
As soon as I got ready to install the mirror, I thought:"This will never expand enough to fit the bar". So there definitely wasn't a shim on the mirror.

Old 06-21-21, 09:52 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
VicBC_Biker I would contact Hafny (I think I purchased thru Amazon and there should be info there) and I'm sure they'll send you a shim. The installation videos for your model and it will show what your package was missing.

Old 06-21-21, 10:05 AM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by redcon1
VicBC_Biker I would contact Hafny (I think I purchased thru Amazon and there should be info there) and I'm sure they'll send you a shim. The installation videos for your model and it will show what your package was missing.
Thanks, redcon1
I appreciate the video link and sugestions.
My mirror is a different model (FR06) which is a litle bit different than the ones in the video.
I left a message at the Hafny website, suggesting they check out this discussion.
Since I figured out a DIY solution, I don't need to wait for a shim from Hafny in Taiwan.
However, it's a poor situation. Not everybody has a workshop with a large collection of 'this might come in handy some day' stuff.
For me, it was a matter of 10 minutes to fix the problem. For somebody without a shop, it would be a major hassle.
Old 06-21-21, 10:17 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Hafny has a couple of different arrangements for how their mounts expand inside bars.

One of those arrangements is what VicBC_Biker shows in the picture posted in this thread, where the expanding part is a shell with a single gap running down its length.

Another arrangement has a 2-piece split assembly (held together by a pair of o-rings) that sits between the end pieces. That kind comes with a "spacer", as they call it, to use with larger-ID bars.

Here's a picture from their web site showing the second type:

I have two different Hafny mirrors, so I have seen both of these variations in person.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 06-21-21, 10:34 AM
VicBC_Biker

Follow-up:
Corrine Li at Hafny sent me an email within a few minutes of my filling out the contact form at their website. So that's positive.
Thanks for reaching out.

Our old expansion is designed to fit 16~21mm inside the diameter of the handlebar.
After that, we found out that the diameter of the road bike is normally larger than the others.
Therefore, we started adding an additional spacer at the beginning of this year.

Could you please send a picture of what you have received?
Also, please provide your shipping address, and phone number for shipping purposes.
If there is a missing part with your order, I will arrange the shipment as soon as possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
Corrine
Not as good as recalling all the defective product that was advertised to fit road bars, but won't...but it is something.
The 30 year old bar end plugs from my parts box fit the new alloy FSA bars perfectly, so it's a bit strange for a manufacturer to claim ignorance of the sizing.
I think many high-end bikes and bike parts come from Taiwan, so there should have been lots of bars available for making sure their product fit.

Last edited by VicBC_Biker; 06-21-21 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-21-21, 12:04 PM
VicBC_Biker

New email from Corinne:
Thanks for the information.

I read the comments on the forum, and noticed that the bolt at the end is most likely to be threaded. This is why the expansion keeps spinning, and can't be expanded.

Just want to clarify the old expansion and the new expansion parts.
My team and I ran a few tests on an Union Drop bar, Scott road bike, and Giant road bike. We didn't need to use the spacer to install the mirror, and it fits securely.
After we started selling this model, we found out that around 10% of customers think the expansion is too small for them. This is why we started adding the expansion.
We also have an auto email sending out to the customers if they would like to request the spacer without any cost, depending on your communication setting on the Amazon.

All of our products have a one year warranty, and we are very happy to take care of it.
I will send you the expansion replacement, and it is expected to arrive within 5~7 business days.

Let me know if you have any questions, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Best,
Corrine
Old 06-21-21, 12:11 PM
VicBC_Biker

This sentence has me perplexed:
I read the comments on the forum, and noticed that the bolt at the end is most likely to be threaded. This is why the expansion keeps spinning, and can't be expanded.
The plastic 'plug' at the end has a recess with a stainless nut.
Tightening the hex-head machine screw tends to turn that plastic plug. To prevent it from spinning, Hafny have molded a couple of shallow 'V' indents into the plug- these engage the sides of the split tube. Once the plug has been pulled toward the end, the split tube expands and no longer engages those shallow 'V' indents. Then the plug (with its recessed nut) is free to spin - in both directions. So it's not possible to tighten the machine screw or to loosen it.

The mirror is in the bike now so I can't provide more pictures, but one of the pics I have may show enough to make this clear:

Old 06-22-21, 04:09 PM
VicBC_Biker

A new plug assembly came through the mail slot today, from the Hafny distributor (?) in Vancouver.
I tried it on a spare set of bars and it fits.
So that's definitely an A+ for Hafny customer service.
Likes For VicBC_Biker: