Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nervex Lugged frame -help to identify

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-10-22, 06:10 AM
richosti

Bikes: 1974 peugeot noveau folding (restored), 2016 polygon helios a9x, vivente world randonneur patagonia, merida e one twenty 500, new unidentified steel frame??

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Folks,
I bought this old frame recently and have stripped it down. It came from an old bloke here in Sydney who reportedly got it from his mum. She apparently said it was Gary Sutton's bike. It is fairly old and is a 5 speed rear wheel with very close spacing. The OLD appears to be around 126mm but i has definitely been opened up a little. I am trying to identify it if possible. Please see photos below of the parts and frame junctions. Info relating to dimensions also follows - thanks for your help!
Rear mech: Zeus Gransport 2 - 5 Speed
Front mech: Campag ?
Crankset: Magistroni
Brakes: Weinmann Type 730
Rims look like Weinmann High pressure
English threaded BB - Nervex followed by lug set numbers. Then stamped over the top W 6924
Seat tube ID / OD: 26.6 / 28.6, CTT: 560mm
Head tube ID / OD: 29.8 / 31.6
Top tube OD: 25.6, CTC: 575mm
Frame weighs: 1937g
Fork weighs 910g

Old 04-10-22, 11:39 PM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 192 Posts
I think the serial number position and format is consistent with Speedwell.
I know they used Nervex Pro lugs on their Olympic model but, as far as I know, those only had track ends, so this must be a different model. Possibly from around early 60s?

Here's another Speedwell number with a 'W' prefix:

The fork is also most likely original. Here's a an example with Nervex lugs and that fork crown:

Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 04-11-22, 12:14 AM
richosti

Bikes: 1974 peugeot noveau folding (restored), 2016 polygon helios a9x, vivente world randonneur patagonia, merida e one twenty 500, new unidentified steel frame??

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MauriceMoss
I think the serial number position and format is consistent with Speedwell.
I know they used Nervex Pro lugs on their Olympic model but, as far as I know, those only had track ends, so this must be a different model. Possibly from around early 60s?

Here's another Speedwell number with a 'W' prefix:

The fork is also most likely original. Here's a an example with Nervex lugs and that fork crown:

Thank you Maurice! That gives me somewhere to start. I will look into this option further. Early 60's sounds about right from thew sellers perspective too.

Last edited by richosti; 04-11-22 at 04:25 AM.