Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Derailleur worn out?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Derailleur worn out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 07:25 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Derailleur worn out?

How can you tell when your derailleur is officially done?
Old 08-22-13, 08:57 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Moved from Long Distance to Bike Mechanics.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 08-22-13, 09:30 AM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
are you asking a theoretical question or do you have specific symptoms to report? I don't want to lay out a general flow-chart to distinguish between poor adjustment and can't-be-fixed-wear unless I have to.
Old 08-22-13, 09:33 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I think that the rear derailleur might be the most reliable part of the whole bicycle.

Everything has a service life so, I suppose, the bushings in the parallelogram will eventually wear out and the derailleur will need to be replaced. If I was looking for such wear, I'd try to bend the parallelogram with my hands to see how much play I could feel. I'm thinking it would be a very long time before a replacement would be truly needed.
Old 08-22-13, 01:16 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by TallRider
are you asking a theoretical question or do you have specific symptoms to report? I don't want to lay out a general flow-chart to distinguish between poor adjustment and can't-be-fixed-wear unless I have to.
Actually, I thought people who claim they replace parts often in the long distance forum may have been better to ask the question but anyway...
The point is, yes, it's a theoretical question.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I think that the rear derailleur might be the most reliable part of the whole bicycle.

Everything has a service life so, I suppose, the bushings in the parallelogram will eventually wear out and the derailleur will need to be replaced. If I was looking for such wear, I'd try to bend the parallelogram with my hands to see how much play I could feel. I'm thinking it would be a very long time before a replacement would be truly needed.
What I'm trying to ask is say, if you have friction shifters, and don't need the indexing, how is it possible that it would stop working?

The reason for the question is I bought a touring frame and knowing that I wanted to start with local cities, I know eventually I may start going on longer and longer trips. (I mean with my personality, I know I'll hesitate a little at first then change my idea completely and go longer distances in the end.)

Of all comments I read though, some review on the Trek 520 touring bike where someone said they eventually wore out EVERYTHING excluding the front derailleur and frame.
Old 08-22-13, 01:23 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Don't worry about it. I rode on a 5000 mile trip that included the Appalachians, Cascades and Rockies, with Huret Jubilee derailleurs, stretched to max capacity in the rear, and they had already gone thousands of miles before that. I did manage to wear out the original rear, but it took from 1972 to 1976 to do so and that derailleur was unusually subject to wearing out. I've never worn out a hub or bottom bracket because I keep them properly maintained, and have broken 3 spokes in the 40 some years I have been a bike enthusiast. One would have to log probably 100k to start wearing out significant amount of non-expendable parts.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 08-22-13 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-22-13, 01:24 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Derailleurs don't wear out per se, but some parts suffer the effects of wear.

The fastest to wear are the pulleys, where the diameter shrinks and the chain runs noisy. They also wear at the bearing to where you can wobble them.

The main place of actual derailleur wear is at the pivots. When severe, you can twist the pantograph sideways with a bit of hand pressure. The issue with pivot wear is that it takes overtravel to get the RD to shift, then it'll settle back to trim. Folks used to non-index get used to it and it's less of an issue, but it makes any index system sloppier.

Pivot wear takeas a long time, not in years or miles but in shifts, since that's the only time pivots move.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-22-13, 02:13 PM
sreten
Banned.

Bikes: 20" Folder, Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY

Pivot wear takes a long time, not in years or miles but in shifts, since that's the only time pivots move.
Hi, Not strictly true, there is a vibration element to it as well as the shifting, rgds, sreten.
Old 08-22-13, 02:25 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by sreten
Hi, Not strictly true, there is a vibration element to it as well as the shifting, rgds, sreten.
In the REAL world, fretting wear on RD pivots either doesn't happen or is such a slow process that movement wear overshadows it to the point that it isn't ever a factor.

Do you have any first or second experience that shows otherwise?

In any case I offered the Op a diagnostic for wear, and might remind him that the info provided by others is correct that derailleur wear is a v-e-r-y slow process, and other than mtb where abrasion from dirt accelerates wear in general. I have RDs with 10,s of thousands of road miles on them with little if any care, and all are going strong, though I have worn out some pulleys over the years. In my cycling career spanning 45 years and 100k miles, and I've yet to wear out a derailleur, ever.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-22-13, 02:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
When you crash on them and they go into the spokes and do in the wheel, as well .. then it's clearly done.
Old 08-22-13, 03:12 PM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I wore out my first rear derailer rather quickly; rather, I wore the pulleys down pretty danged fast. In my early days on a bike, I rode in all conditions, and my idea of "bike maintenance" was long periods of neglect book-ended by putting copious amounts of wet lube on the chain, to shuch it up. Between the gunk, sand, road salt, and miles, those pulleys got round within a few years.

But, like cny mentioned above, it you maintain decent components properly, they'll last a good long time.
Old 08-22-13, 03:29 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
...when you have to over shift a complete gear to shift 1. So when your in the 3rd cog and have to over shift to 5th to get into the 4th.....that's a worn out whipped RD.
Old 08-22-13, 05:06 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
...when you have to over shift a complete gear to shift 1. So when your in the 3rd cog and have to over shift to 5th to get into the 4th.....that's a worn out whipped RD.
Sure, but other problems could cause the same problem. Also, that's a moot point with friction set-ups.
Old 08-22-13, 05:33 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
Also, that's a moot point with friction set-ups.
Oh really? I've worked on my fair share of friction bikes with biziillion mile RD's that wouldn't shift into high or low gear because there was enough over shift.
Old 08-22-13, 07:21 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
I wore out the paralleogram pivots in about 5 years and 16000 to 18000 miles. The symptoms were shifts that were noisy from rubbing the adjacent cog, and having to shift two cogs and then back one.

I took good care of the old derailleur, wiping it clean and lubing the pivots regularly. It still wore out.

I could move the cage holding the two pulleys by a fairly small amount of pressure from my fingers. The new one is still solid after a few years, barely moving at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The original 2006 Veloce had small pressed-in pins as pivot points.

The redesigned derailleur has much more substantial pivots, and they are set farther apart on the wraparound body, too. A much better design.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
campy-veloce-rmech-med.jpg (20.1 KB, 173 views)
VE_cambioMEDIUMnero_500x581.jpg (24.9 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-22-13 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-23-13, 07:24 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
FWIW: Wear on the P knuckle retaining pin and flange on a Red RD after ~12,000 miles resulting in ~2.5mm axial play:

Attached Images
20130803_135359.jpg (79.3 KB, 181 views)
Old 08-23-13, 05:09 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by miamijim
Oh really? I've worked on my fair share of friction bikes with biziillion mile RD's that wouldn't shift into high or low gear because there was enough over shift.
That's nice to know. At least I'll have a clue what to look for.
Old 08-26-13, 08:56 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
I've come across plenty of derailers that were too worn at the upper pivot (the mounting bolt) to be any good on 8s+ indexed systems, and maybe one or two with that much parallelogram wear.

But as for friction shifting, just about any sloppy old piece of crap will work, especially on Hyperglide (or equivalent) cogs. A RD has to be crazy-worn before you can't friction-shift it reliably.
Old 08-26-13, 03:03 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using friction shifters, the RD is done when the upper pivot is so loose it dings the spokes. Mine isn't there yet, but pretty sloppy.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 08-26-13, 04:04 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Deraileurs do wear out. I have an old Sun Race from their introduction year that was used on my commute bike for 15 years. Winter took its toll on the thing and it was very sloppy in the pivots which made shifting to larger cogs difficult, even though it was a friction only system.
Old 06-27-17, 12:53 PM
CalvinAL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My derailleur has play side to side at the rivet. The rivet can not be tightened. The High limit is all the way out. I still can't get into the highest gear. I think it is time to replace it and have ordered a new one. Perhaps the new one will have a bolt that can be tightened instead of a rivet.