Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

135mm quick-release axles, deal breaker?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-21, 05:57 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I found a low cost 2021 Fuji gravel bike at an on-line dealer. The bike has 100 front and 135 back quick-release axles. I have 2 disc brake bikes with through-axles and I like the precision of the through-axle standard.

I want a low cost bike I can keep at a vacation home and this Fuji is perfect for what I have planned. Am I going to be sorry I got a disk brake bike with quick-release axles?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-17-21, 06:45 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,414 Times in 2,752 Posts
My negative experience with QR and discs involved removing/replacing the front wheel. Very fiddly to get the brake alignment right. If you don't have to remove the wheel to transport the bike, that might not be an issue.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-17-21, 06:49 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
I rode Mountain Bikes with disk brakes and QR axles for years without any problems.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 12-17-21, 07:24 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
My negative experience with QR and discs involved removing/replacing the front wheel. Very fiddly to get the brake alignment right. If you don't have to remove the wheel to transport the bike, that might not be an issue.
Perfect evaluation, thanks. I'd buy this bike to keep for local rides and to avoid having to transport a bike from my domicile. I'm patient enough to reset the alignment. Will I need to reset the caliper position after I reinstall the front wheel?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-17-21, 08:18 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

It was my experience that I had to realign the caliper after most wheel removals. This was with an inexpensive suspension fork, maybe flexy, so that may have compounded the issue.
Old 12-17-21, 08:25 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I like thru axles, but QR works fine. more fiddly yeah maybe most of the time not always seems to depend on the drop out design.

Either way once they are on and set its fine a gravel bike I wouldn't even hesitate to go QR.
Old 12-17-21, 08:30 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
All my bikes are older and have QRs. It is not an issue but there are a couple things to keep in mind:
  • QRs were not originally designed for the forces disc brakes produce, and the front QR can loosen off over time. Make sure it is tight enough initially and check the tightness occasionally
  • Ensure the wheel is fully installed in the dropouts and is straight in the fork before you do final adjustments on the brake. This should prevent the problem shelbyfv described, unless there is some other problem
Otherwise it should be fine. Disc brakes and QRs existed happily together on lots of bikes for over a decade before TAs became common.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 12-17-21, 08:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
There are 2 QR disc bikes hanging in our garage right now. One hasnt had a wheel adjusted since the last time I added sealant over a year ago(if it cuts, that sealant will be useless) and the other hasnt had a wheel adjusted in 3 years as it uses tubes. My kids ride both and while they secondary bikes that dont get high use, they probably get more use than a backup bike at a vacation house. Just use internal cam QRs and have fun.
Old 12-17-21, 08:47 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I don't think you'll be sorry. My gravel bike is QR and I don't see any problem with it at all. QR is gone on higher-end bikes, but it's apparently never going away on cheaper bikes. Which surprises me a little, because I would think the lawyers would make them use TA on all bikes.
Old 12-17-21, 10:43 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I have QR discs on my Soma Fog Cutter and have no issues removing and installing wheels. I actually prefer it since it's faster than thru axles and I do it often with the front to transport the bike. Just make sure the wheel is seated properly, I give it a quick spin to be sure no rotor rub. I am using internal cam XT skewers.
Old 12-17-21, 11:55 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It was my experience that I had to realign the caliper after most wheel removals. This was with an inexpensive suspension fork, maybe flexy, so that may have compounded the issue.
That might've been your issue. I have a Space Horse with QRs and disc brakes and have no such problems. Insert wheel, squeeze front brake lever, then clamp down QR. Works like a charm. It works even better if you throw away the OEM QR levers, which are probably external cam, and replace the with some Shimano XT internal cam levers - which will cost about thirty bucks.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-17-21, 12:00 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 442 Posts
Overall I prefer TA mainly due to easier rotor alignment, but I'm always paranoid that I'll accidentally mess up the the threads when screwing in the axles. QR is a bit more tedious to align properly, but you don't have to worry about messing up your bike.

I have QR on my gravel bike, but I also have the option to go thru-axle in the future with a rear derailleur hanger swap. I like having this option since forks are easy to swap out, but having the option to change your frame from QR to TA makes it a bit more future-proof.
Old 12-17-21, 12:59 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I'm more interested in where one goes on vacation when living in Wisconsin.
Likes For tdilf:
Old 12-17-21, 02:34 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
this Fuji is perfect for what I have planned.
I wouldn't let the QRs stop you if the bike is otherwise perfect. Keep the skewers tight and accept the fact that you might occasionally have to re-align a caliper, which takes all of five minutes. But honestly, I've only had to do so a couple of times in many hundreds of miles of use on mine.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-17-21, 05:23 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by tdilf
I'm more interested in where one goes on vacation when living in Wisconsin.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/i...ing/index.html
Old 12-17-21, 06:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

^^^Cool! Surely you need a Pegoretti gravel bike (if such a thing exists.)
Old 12-18-21, 02:32 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
I found a low cost 2021 Fuji gravel bike at an on-line dealer. The bike has 100 front and 135 back quick-release axles. I have 2 disc brake bikes with through-axles and I like the precision of the through-axle standard.

I want a low cost bike I can keep at a vacation home and this Fuji is perfect for what I have planned. Am I going to be sorry I got a disk brake bike with quick-release axles?
QR works fine in my Fuji Sportif with hydro brakes. When replacing a wheel I turn the bike on its head and make sure the wheel is All the way in before clamping the QR. That way the wheel is placed the same every time. Only issue I can envision is if the wheel is not straight when pushed all the way in. Then it might be fiddly replacing the wheel without disc brake rub. I have an other bike that is like that. I hesitate upgrading that bike to hydro with the tight tolerances of hydro disc brakes.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 12-18-21, 04:49 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
I'm patient enough to reset the alignment.
Which on my first disc brake equipped CX bike (with QR axles) was as simple as opening the cam lever old the wheel on the ground, and drop the fork/frame over the top of the axle, ensuring it was all the way into the dropout, and boom…perfectly aligned, every time. No different than with rim brakes.

This is by no means an endorsement for QR with disc brakes. Just saying that ensuring the hub is aligned in the dropouts is not magic.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 12-18-21, 07:08 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
That's incredible!
​​​​​
Old 12-18-21, 10:13 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Through Axle is definitely better, but QR was generally adequate..
Old 12-21-21, 07:21 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I have MTBs with both and a gravel bike with QR.

TA is an improvement, but if I was otherwise happy with a gravel bike, I would not really care that it was QR.

As far as brake alignment, there are tricks to that on QR, but it has generally not been a problem for me if I am conscientious about how a place the wheel during brake setup and subsequent wheel installations.
Old 12-21-21, 09:58 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Wow, that's awesome - glad I asked. Good luck to you both!
Old 12-22-21, 06:56 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
+1 on not a big deal; have four such bikes.

For putting the wheel back, count the full revolutions to clear the lips and remember the lever orientation. This will help keep the torque constant.
Old 12-22-21, 11:00 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
Just piling on - I had a Fuji MTB with QR/hydro discs and it was fine. The calipers were a little fiddly and required frequent alignment to prevent rubbing, but I have the same situation with my TA disc brake bikes.

My only concern would be wheel/hub compatibility - 135mm QR disc hubs are becoming more rare these days, so your aftermarket wheel options might be a bit more limited.
Old 12-22-21, 11:20 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I got a custom bike in 2014, which was the last year for QR (at least from that maker). It hasn't been problematic, once I learned that I needed either Dura Ace internal cam QR or (arguably better) DT-Swiss QR-compatible skewers that you can crank down hard. This is especially important if you have disk brakes. Ideally, the fork drop-out should be forward-facing (like Enve's 1st gen forks).

If you get the bike and can't live with it, you can always replace the fork.

My main gripe at this point is it is hard to find high-end wheels that are still QR-compatible. Chris King, for example, no longer offers it. Some hubs are backward-compatible (or future-compatible) like White Industries or DT Swiss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.