Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake lever placement on drop bars - advice needed

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brake lever placement on drop bars - advice needed

Old 04-15-22, 02:33 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by schwim
Hello there friends!

I got another ride in and kept moving the brakes up the bars until I found a happy spot and I can say that with them in their current location, it really changes the ride. The shifters are perfectly situation for thumb action, braking is easy and it helps some with the wrist/shoulder pains further in the ride.

I'm sure I'm on too small of a bike now, it's almost assuredly a medium frame and I'm historically a large frame rider. I will, however ride it until it dies and just try to make some adjustments to lessen the impact.

Thank you all for all the help, it was a game-changer!
any pics of it now?
Old 04-15-22, 02:46 PM
schwim

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
any pics of it now?
Absolutely

Likes For schwim:
Old 04-15-22, 06:35 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by schwim
I'm sure I'm on too small of a bike now, it's almost assuredly a medium frame and I'm historically a large frame rider. I will, however ride it until it dies and just try to make some adjustments to lessen the impact.
From the looks of your seat height, I would say if anything this frame is more towards the large size for you. If you feel cramped then you would be better off extending handlebar stem length and height. We don't know if you like a low seat position or not but if not then consider my suggestion if you're not comfortable.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-15-22, 06:46 PM
schwim

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
From the looks of your seat height, I would say if anything this frame is more towards the large size for you. If you feel cramped then you would be better off extending handlebar stem length and height. We don't know if you like a low seat position or not but if not then consider my suggestion if you're not comfortable.
The current seat height is misleading. Due to a head/neck injury, I have to have a position that allows me to look forward without looking "up". On a large bike, this is easy enough but on a bike like this, extending the seat until my leg is near extended causes me to have to look at a dangerous neck angle for me. I lowered the seat back down to lessen this. On my mountain bikes, I installed dropper posts, which is fantastic for when the pain gets really bad. I'm exploring some replacement stems to get the bars up some for me.
Old 04-15-22, 06:52 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I'll just say that the seat position is kind of the main point of the bike where all other adjustments are based on. If a (proper) higher seat causes you to have to lift your head up, then you need to raise the stem and maybe even use a shorter stem which in your case will give you a much more comfortable and upright position. Too low a seat can cause knee strains in the long run. Just a suggestion.
Likes For Crankycrank: