Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

7spd derailleur - What would be the best upgrade?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-22, 03:06 PM
schwim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts

Hello everyone!

I would like to swap out the current derailleur for a better model. I found some Acera SGS that I'm pretty sure is compatible with my Tourney 7 spd brake/shifter combo lever. I wonder, however, what would be considered a great upgrade part number in this case?

I know I'm just dealing with NOS stuff at this point and it's not so much a relevant setup any longer but eBay seems to be great at keeping me in parts so I thought I'd just through a few PNs at it and see what I can find.

Thanks for your time!
Old 04-15-22, 03:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
What are you trying to solve? Does the current DR not shift well?

Not sure that any you replace it with will be an "upgrade".
Old 04-15-22, 03:32 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
I wouldn't go beyond a DER rated for 8 speeds.
As the # speeds increases, cages get narrower and things like chain rub become more apparent.

Even a Tourney should work adequately for 7 speed if maintained.
Cleaning & lubing the cables may seem like an upgrade?
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 04-15-22, 03:40 PM
schwim

Originally Posted by Iride01
What are you trying to solve? Does the current DR not shift well?
Slow to shift and the pressed steel cage is so flexible and sloppy that it flexes in cross-chain situations. The plastic cogs are so loose, they go cockeyed on their axles. It's a pretty crappy example of a derailleur.

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
As the # speeds increases, cages get narrower and things like chain rub become more apparent.

Thanks very much for the help. The one I linked is a 7/8 speed der and if I remember correctly, the Acera was a pretty decent Shimano line. I'm not familiar enough with either road-specific gear or the era to know what was above that.

The cable system is a new Jagwire set. Shifting is nice, the tolerances are just so poor on the rear der that it makes it impossible to dial in.

Thanks very much for the help!
Old 04-15-22, 04:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun

I'd probably choose up to 9 speed. Possibly even 10 speed.

Ultegra 6500 and 6600 are good derailleurs.

That appears to be a reasonably small rear freewheel. So, you could choose some MTB derailleurs, but you may not need a super long cage.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 04-15-22, 05:33 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
That Acera derailleur would be a fine upgrade, and perfectly compatible with your shifters.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 04-15-22, 07:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
I probably wouldn't put any money towards that bike, save up for something that is going to be more practical for your usage. Yes overall an Acera is an upgrade from what comes on it (even though Acera is lower end Shimano) but the bike overall is probably not worth the time and effort and cost of installing a new derailleur. Generally if the bike is coming with random tourney parts not typically found beyond those bikes the entire package probably isn't worth putting much money into it as it is a losing battle. If it were say a Specialized or Trek or something like that you might have a better case as you will likely have a slightly better frame and maybe some other components around it not by much because Tourney is not a great sign on anything but generally on that stuff it is an overall nicer package not by a huge ton of course but at least somewhat.

One should not cross chain ever there just isn't really a need for it that is the whole point of having two derailleurs. Learning to shift will aid greatly in keeping the bike in shape and not wearing things out prematurely. If you find yourself needing an easier gear and you are at the big ring at the front, you might need to shift down at the front to make it easier and if you are in the little cog at the back and finding you aren't getting enough speed you might need to shift up to that big ring at the front. It is just practice and training your brain and muscles to do it all : )
Old 04-15-22, 08:59 PM
schwim

Originally Posted by veganbikes
One should not cross chain ever there just isn't really a need for it that is the whole point of having two derailleurs. Learning to shift will aid greatly in keeping the bike in shape and not wearing things out prematurely. If you find yourself needing an easier gear and you are at the big ring at the front, you might need to shift down at the front to make it easier and if you are in the little cog at the back and finding you aren't getting enough speed you might need to shift up to that big ring at the front. It is just practice and training your brain and muscles to do it all : )
Thanks very much for the suggestion, I'll start keeping away from the situation in the future.
Likes For schwim:
Old 04-16-22, 05:24 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Never had an issue running 6/7/8 chains through 9 speed derailleurs.
Old 04-16-22, 05:59 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
An RD-M310 (Altus line) and RD-M360 (Acera line) would both be fine units to replace the Tourney you have, and would be 100% compatible with your current shifters.

You could "splurge" with an RD-T3000 (newer Acera) or RD-T4000 (newer Alivio), but that M360 you're considering should be more than adequate.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-29-22, 02:57 PM
schwim

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
An RD-M310 (Altus line) and RD-M360 (Acera line) would both be fine units to replace the Tourney you have, and would be 100% compatible with your current shifters.

You could "splurge" with an RD-T3000 (newer Acera) or RD-T4000 (newer Alivio), but that M360 you're considering should be more than adequate.
Thanks very much for the help. Installed it today and unlike the one it replaced, it was a breeze to dial in. A huge jump in quality of shifting.

Likes For schwim: