Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Pinch Flats

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-22, 12:39 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Pinch Flats

I was thinking of running a 700x42 tire that is not tubeless ready, and wasn’t sure about risk of pinch flats and whether tubes vs. tubeless greatly affects how plush the ride is.

I currently have 700x40 Ventures, tubeless, and run them around 30-35 (I’m 155 pounds). They grip well and feel plush over rougher terrain. I also have 38mm Barlow Pass, with tubes, run them down as low as 35mm (paved and rail trails) and they’ve been flat-free though not as plush over rougher terrain as the Ventures.

I wanted to get Soma Cazadero 700x42 and they’re not tubeless ready. I want them to run them low enough for ride quality, but wasn’t sure about pinch flats?
Old 12-26-22, 03:31 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I was thinking of running a 700x42 tire that is not tubeless ready, and wasn’t sure about risk of pinch flats and whether tubes vs. tubeless greatly affects how plush the ride is.

I currently have 700x40 Ventures, tubeless, and run them around 30-35 (I’m 155 pounds). They grip well and feel plush over rougher terrain. I also have 38mm Barlow Pass, with tubes, run them down as low as 35mm (paved and rail trails) and they’ve been flat-free though not as plush over rougher terrain as the Ventures.

I wanted to get Soma Cazadero 700x42 and they’re not tubeless ready. I want them to run them low enough for ride quality, but wasn’t sure about pinch flats?
What are you riding over? That makes a big difference in the lowest pressure you can get away with. So does your riding style. Some of us are gentle to tires and rims and others of us can trash anything on that same road or path. I've run 38c Paselas at lower than 40psi on a fairly gnarly logging road for a multiple thousands of feet descent quite fast with no issues, just a huge smile. (Your weight exactly. Fairly kind to wheels.)

Try it and see. Bring two tubes and a patchkit. Start from the hard side so when you do pinch flat it's just barely and not a rim killer. 5 psi more should be perfect. (And old-fart tip. Old fashioned frame pumps, not mini pumps, make the research a lot more fun.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-28-22, 10:10 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I want them to run them low enough for ride quality, but wasn’t sure about pinch flats?
As you're discovering - one of the big benefits of tubeless is that you can run lower pressure with minimal risk of pinch flatting. Tubes can pinch very easily, so you want to run enough air that the rim will not strike the ground.

Finding this limit will require some trial and error, and is dependent on your bike/body weight, tire size, riding style and terrain. The rougher the terrain, the more air you'll need because your tires will be compressing more as they hit rocks/roots.

I've run tubed 33mm CX tires as low as 30-35psi for training/racing and it's been fine, but I'm also aware that I'm on the edge with that setup and am careful to avoid hitting anything that might cause a pinch flat. Conversely, I run 33mm tubeless at 25-26psi and have no worries about pinch flatting, even if I'm bottoming out on big hits.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 12-28-22, 11:27 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've used those very same Cazaderos, and got no pinch flats running them at 40 psi (170 lb rider weight). The sidewalls, however, seemed very thin to me -- and were perhaps more supple as a result -- but I never fully trusted them on shard gravel. I switched to GravelKing SK 43s and have more confidence. The comfort seems about the same.
Old 12-30-22, 09:50 AM
Katzen

Bikes: Rock Lobster WCCX, Focus Mares CX, Tim Paterek CX, 95’ Kona Kapu, 69’ Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of the main reasons I switched to tubulars for CX was a barrage of pinch flats at the sub 40 PSI level. In my opinion, running clinchers that low on anything other than a smooth paved road is leaving a lot to chance. I’d keep running tubeless if you’re looking to run in that pressure range.
Likes For Katzen:
Old 01-04-23, 12:26 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
+1 for trial & error. been having fun keeping an eye on my various tires, at various pressures, over various conditions. it's funny how sometimes even a slight rise or bump will deform the tire. & of course the bigger bumps, even more-so. while I try to avoid it, I do sometimes change pressure up/down during a single ride

same pressure in both photos (nothing surprising, I know)

this was a different place, day & pressure