Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike shop recommendations to ship tandem to for Seattle to Portland

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 03-05-23, 08:28 PM
ahultin

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

One of my stokers would like to do the STP ride this year. Anyone have experience with a competent shop we could ship the bike (calfee tandem) to that would assemble then rebox at the end and ship?
Old 03-06-23, 07:48 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 329 Posts
Maybe check out Rodriguez bikes in Seattle, they just celebrated their 50 year anniversary and specialize in building high end tandems. Not sure if they offer shipping services. Their shop is called R+E Cycles I believe.
Old 03-06-23, 06:49 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Or buy a case and learn how to take your own bike apart. If you travel more than once or twice you’ll cover your cost, and the very basic skills necessary are something that anyone who rides their bike farther than they care to walk, should have.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-06-23, 08:41 PM
ahultin

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Or buy a case and learn how to take your own bike apart. If you travel more than once or twice you’ll cover your cost, and the very basic skills necessary are something that anyone who rides their bike farther than they care to walk, should have.
I could easily disassemble it, box it and reassemble but dont have any contacts in seattle to even receive the bike. Plan is to fly in friday morning, i did look at the option of buying the santana airline box but then id still need to have a solution to get the box held till sunday
Old 03-06-23, 08:59 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

If you’re staying at a hotel, they’ll hold it for you.
Old 03-13-23, 12:26 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
Yes, if you're looking for both pre-trip assembly and post-trip packing, I'd strongly consider buying the case and packing it yourself. If you can disassemble and box a tandem, then you can reassemble it. Not much to it, assuming you have decent attention to detail. In other words, you don't suffer the worst of mechanical faux pas: leaving something (like a stem or pedals) loose! This is the biggest no-no in bicycle mechanics!!! And having the prowess to assemble and disassemble your bike will give you that much more confidence when it comes to mechanicals that occur during your rides.

But if time is limited and you simply must have someone assemble it and then box it back up, I'd look for a tandem-specific shop in Seattle. Sorry I cannot recommend one. For Portland, I'd suggest River City Cycles. They're not a tandem shop per se, but they're well run. I'd give 'em a call and see if you can get their most experienced bike shipper and/or tandem person on your job for you. A $20 coffee gift card or beer can go a long way in getting a job done with that much more care - so worth it when talking about a Calfee tandem!

PS This Calfee isn't coupled I assume?? Would be ideal.
Old 03-14-23, 04:08 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

As for not leaving something out, my process is that as it comes off the bike it goes in the case. I just toss stuff in, and later arrange it to pack, but it doesn’t get laid down as it comes off, other than in the case.
Old 03-16-23, 10:57 PM
ahultin

Thanks all. Based on what we found, current plan is to buy the santana airline box (since they are relatively local) and pack it myself. We paid for the bike box transport from start to finish so ill pack and fly home with it. Unfortunately the calfee is not coupled.
Old 07-19-23, 07:48 AM
ahultin

I fugured i would update this thread to bookend it for anyone that saw it in the future.
we ended up borrowing a bikepro tandem case from a local club member. This worked out great with some caveats
1. We were charged a $40 extra checked bag fee on the outbound flight and nothing on the return trip so that's a huge win (Alaska air)
2. Rented a hondya odyssey and the bike/bag fit perfect
3. Ran into a challange that I failed to account for but Amazon/some spare metal I had laying around and an assortment of tools solved it. The bikepro case is designed for quick release forks and the calfee is 15x100 thru axle. I ordered a bike mount fork block and rigged it onto the ridgid frame of the bike pro bag. This ended up working great and inadvertently allowed me to solve a second problem - the fork if it had fit in the quick release mount would have been too tall for the bag. I was able to lower my attachment to allow the belt drive to sit level at the bottom of the bag and the fork stem just barely fit.

4. Tsa opens and searches all bike bags by laying them down - on the outbound flight the bottom bracket mount on the bikepro came loose, i presume because of this, so if we travel in the future i need to find the happy medium between tight enough but not causing damage. There appears to have been an adapter that allowed a rear axle mount that may have helped but bikepro appears to be gone.

All in all it was a relatively stress free travel experience.
Old 07-20-23, 12:26 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked 1,709 Times in 624 Posts
When is the ride?

im riding my tandem at Cino this yesr