Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Just switched from SPD to SPD-SL Pedals

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-21, 04:55 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I just switched to my pedals and feel like it made a huge difference. I feel so much more connected to the bike. My only issue is that I now struggle to clip in given these new ones clearly aren't dual sided and always seem to settle upside down. Is this just something to get used to or is there a "trick"?
Likes For kosmo886:
Old 03-14-21, 05:29 AM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
I made the same switch last year. When unclipped the SPD-SL pedal should position itself with the front pointing up. They are a little more difficult to clip into compared to the double sided SPD, just takes time to get used to them. I put them on my bike on the trainer to practice clipping in and out.
Old 03-14-21, 09:08 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I've also noticed that a new set of SPD-SL pedals might take a few rides to break-in so that it spins freely and orients itself properly after unclipping. There's also a bit of a learning curve when clipping in, going toe first to catch the pedal, instead of just stomping down like SPDs. I use both, SPD on the gravel and SL on the road.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 03-14-21, 09:15 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I just googled it and got 1.1million results in just over half a second. Many are videos on YT. Short story: The pedals hangs front up. You catch the front of the pedal w/ your shoe, ahead of the cleat. The flips up, you step down after hooking the front 'loop' w/ the front tip of the cleat. Step down, ride. Best done at the bottom of the pedal stroke, not the top. Same w/ clipping out.
Old 03-14-21, 10:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
It might be your pedals are too new and the excess lube hasn't pushed itself out of the way of the bearings yet. Once it does, your pedals might hang in the proper position for clipping in without you having to futz around.
Old 03-14-21, 11:34 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Are you sure it's the pedals and not the shoes that makes such a noticeable difference? I use both, and with similar quality shoes I honestly can't tell any difference which pedals I'm using when I'm on the bike.
Old 03-14-21, 01:16 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I had the same problem with my Look pedals... they need time to loosen up. Once they do they back is heavier so they'll be pointing up when unclipped.