Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Tubulars on track wheels?

Old 11-02-19, 10:43 AM
brooklyn6640

Bikes: Tommasini, Caad 7 , Seven, Pinarello

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Tubulars on track wheels?

On track bike the tubulars are glued or not? glue ,or adhesive strips like Tufo or Velox?read on French forum that tubulars are not glued.
Old 11-02-19, 11:17 AM
rustymongrel

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
They are most definitely glued. No track racer I know trusts tape. Back in the day trackies used shellac too.
Old 11-02-19, 11:27 AM
brooklyn6640

Originally Posted by rustymongrel
They are most definitely glued. No track racer I know trusts tape. Back in the day trackies used shellac too.
Hi thank,s I not that about the shellac but is it really safe vs the glue, Continental, Vittoria etc? Today shellac are used by cabinet makers for finishing furniture.
Old 11-02-19, 03:00 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by brooklyn6640
Hi thank,s I not that about the shellac but is it really safe vs the glue, Continental, Vittoria etc? Today shellac are used by cabinet makers for finishing furniture.
Shellac works very well. It's a very strong bond, but it's not very resilient. It sets up hard, unlike most glues which still keep some flexibility when they are fully cured. If you use shellac, then be sure that you plan on treating your wheels carefully, and that you plan on throwing the tire out when you remove it from the rim. Often times the base tape from the tubular will still be stuck to the rim, with the rest of the tire carcass separating from it when it is removed.

Shellac offers the lowest rolling resistance of all tubular adhesives, so it is often used on wheels for record attempts and important competitions.
Old 11-02-19, 08:35 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Please do not use tape! Please!
Old 11-03-19, 04:58 AM
brooklyn6640

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Please do not use tape! Please!
Hi , I have only 1 rear whell with tape but it,s on my road bike , the 2 track wheels are Nemesis with HB7600 hubs , but without tubular , I,m asking before going wrong with the tubulars thank,s
Old 11-03-19, 07:24 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Glue and plenty of it.

Rolling a tubular on the track is not fun - I unfortunately know this from experience.
Old 11-03-19, 08:44 AM
brooklyn6640

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Glue and plenty of it.

Rolling a tubular on the track is not fun - I unfortunately know this from experience.
Hi What happened?
Old 11-04-19, 06:50 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
If your glue bond is not strong enough, then the tire rolls off the rim and you crash. This usually happens At high speed when you are changing your line. The added G force as well as the sideways force from the direction change put huge forces on the tire, causing it to roll off.

It is rare to be able to recover from a rolled tubular and ride it out. I've also seen a front tubular roll off and get caught around a riders foot. That was a nasty crash.
Old 11-04-19, 11:10 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I've seen a few tape jobs now, and the biggest problem I see with them is their insosnsitency. I've seen a few that simply pushed off the rim with minimal effort. That is scary. I have now seen one that was a strong bond that probably would not have come off under normal riding conditions. In general, glue is dependable and seems harder to mess up than the tape from what I have observed.

When preparing your equipment, you must always keep in mind that if you go down because of an equipment failure, there is a chance you will take others with you. I always try to have my gear over-prepared rather than under for this reason.
Old 11-05-19, 07:44 AM
brooklyn6640

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
I've seen a few tape jobs now, and the biggest problem I see with them is their insosnsitency. I've seen a few that simply pushed off the rim with minimal effort. That is scary. I have now seen one that was a strong bond that probably would not have come off under normal riding conditions. In general, glue is dependable and seems harder to mess up than the tape from what I have observed.

When preparing your equipment, you must always keep in mind that if you go down because of an equipment failure, there is a chance you will take others with you. I always try to have my gear over-prepared rather than under for this reason.
Thank,s guys
Do you know where I can find the Continental sprinter tubular manufacture date ? these tubulars have a deadline for normal use ?.some lbc sell less products, so some be old stock vs online dealers? thank,s

found.

Last edited by brooklyn6640; 11-07-19 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-07-19, 07:36 AM
FinkFloyd

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
If your glue bond is not strong enough, then the tire rolls off the rim and you crash. This usually happens At high speed when you are changing your line. The added G force as well as the sideways force from the direction change put huge forces on the tire, causing it to roll off.

It is rare to be able to recover from a rolled tubular and ride it out. I've also seen a front tubular roll off and get caught around a riders foot. That was a nasty crash.
It is impossible to see someone roll a tub on track without feeling the need to check and re-check your own wheels the next time you ride. I remember seeing a video of (I think) Gregory Bauge rolling a tub and staying upright; he managed to roll to a stop without hitting the deck (until he was going quite slowly) but it absolutely shredded the rim of the wheel that lost the tyre.
Old 11-08-19, 11:10 AM
rustymongrel

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thank,s guys
Do you know where I can find the Continental sprinter tubular manufacture date ? these tubulars have a deadline for normal use ?.some lbc sell less products, so some be old stock vs online dealers? thank,s

found.
I don’t think continentals have a date on them, but I know some brands do, veloflex for example have the date printed on the base tape.

That said as long as the rubber of the tire is supple and not showing any signs of cracking or drying out they should be fine. I’ve used “old stock” tires plenty of times, they last quite a while.
Old 11-08-19, 12:54 PM
brooklyn6640

Originally Posted by rustymongrel
I don’t think continentals have a date on them, but I know some brands do, veloflex for example have the date printed on the base tape.

That said as long as the rubber of the tire is supple and not showing any signs of cracking or drying out they should be fine. I’ve used “old stock” tires plenty of times, they last quite a while.
Date of manufacture on Conti found, all conti have manufacture date on the side . I think more about the old inner tube . I keep my Veloflex at least 1 year not glued on rim , to dry.
Old 11-08-19, 02:04 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Date of manufacture on Conti found, all conti have manufacture date on the side . I think more about the old inner tube . I keep my Veloflex at least 1 year not glued on rim , to dry.
Inner tubes last a long time since they're protected from UV and ozone (mostly) inside the tire. The inner tubes in my English 3-speed are perfectly fine after decades of service.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498