Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Danville cyclist accident

Another NorCal bicycle accident.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...ycle-accident/

Very sad. As a local who has ridden around this area for, let's say 70 years it really makes me sick to read these kind of stories. I mean the developers who built houses over all the local hills needed roads for their customers and look what we got. So very sad.
Old 07-20-21, 03:20 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Another NorCal bicycle accident.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...ycle-accident/

Very sad. As a local who has ridden around this area for, let's say 70 years it really makes me sick to read these kind of stories. I mean the developers who built houses over all the local hills needed roads for their customers and look what we got. So very sad.
The intersection of Bollinger at Dougherty does have decent bike lanes. Cars can get some ridiculous speeds through that corridor, but I never found it particularly dicey. All it takes is one dummy on the phone or driving recklessly for something like this to happen. I remember Greg Knapp as a 49ers coach, hoping he pulls through, but the wording in the story doesn't sound good at all, "extremely critical". Also, is this correct grammar? "was stricken"?!

Former San Francisco 49ers assistant coach Greg Knapp remained hospitalized in extremely critical condition Tuesday after he was injured when his bike was stricken by a vehicle over the weekend in Danville.

Officials said Knapp, who is now a member for Robert Saleh’s New York Jets staff, was stricken by a vehicle at around 2:50 p.m. near the corner of Dougherty and Bollinger Canyon Roads.
Old 07-20-21, 03:29 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
The intersection of Bollinger at Dougherty does have decent bike lanes.
Also, is this correct grammar? "was stricken"?!
As far as busy intersections on fast roads, that's a pretty good one for bikes.

As for "stricken" yeah, it's a word, but it's more for like getting stricken with COVID... not for getting STRUCK by a vehicle.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 07-21-21, 09:22 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

I heard on the news this morning when reporting this story that a car had "swerved" into the bike lane and hit him. Unfortunately that can happen anywhere, he was at the wrong place at the wrong time when a driver made a stupid and reckless decision.
Old 07-22-21, 06:59 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,030 Posts
Greg Knapp passed away at 11:32 this morning. Here's the East Bay Times article.
Old 07-22-21, 07:31 PM
cthenn

JFC.

RIP Greg Knapp.

edit: And to the news media, F off it's not a "bike crash" he was run over by a GD car. "Bike crash" or "accident" is offensive.
Old 07-23-21, 04:16 PM
blt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
To be clear to anyone reading the thread, the East Bay Times article and the police report imbedded in the Tweet imbedded in the article make clear that Knapp got hit about 1/4 mile north of N. Monarch heading north on Dougherty. Nothing to do with the Bollinger/Dougherty intersection, it was well past that. It was just a guy riding in the bike lane, nowhere near an intersection, getting nailed. Since drugs/alcohol don't appear to be a factor, most likely distracted driving.

Reminds me too much of my wife's friend's husband, who got killed by a 16 year old who was texting and driving, but he was on a country road with a 55 mph speed limit and no bike lanes. In the bike lane on Dougherty 1/4 mile north of North Monarch? Geez, if that's not safe, then where can you share the road with motor vehicles that is safe? Yeah, I know, nowhere.

RIP Greg Knapp.
Likes For blt:
Old 07-24-21, 01:28 PM
cthenn

What's even worse is not only is there a bike lane, there's a bike lane AND a shoulder! It's practically 10 feet of buffer, and it still wasn't enough. Looks like based on your description, it's at a curve, so likely the driver looked down during the straightaway, then continued straight as the road starts to curve. Absolutely nothing he could have done, and it was something probably completely unexpected. We're always on high alert on country roads like Redwood and Pinehurst, but when you have a huge buffer like that, you tend to let your guard down.

and of course no criminal charges will likely be filed. Poor driver had to answer their text message! Hopefully the family sues the person into oblivion, he was a high-wage earning known person, so the loss of his income is extra damaging to the family. If the criminal justice system will continue to downplay and show a lack of willingness to charge these reckless drivers, then civil court is all that's left.

Last edited by cthenn; 07-24-21 at 01:33 PM.
Likes For cthenn:
Old 07-26-21, 09:56 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
I hear you, cthenn . Years ago we had a well-known local bike commuter killed by an idiot. Early one morning the idiot got distracted and drove across two empty highway lanes and a 10' shoulder to hit the only thing in the area, who was properly lit up like an Xmas tree. Idiot got a stern finger-wagging (and the undying hatred of every bike rider in the area).

After the crash, people started asking why we didn't have rumble strips, Caltrans basically shrugged and said, 'You didn't ask.' So now we have rumble strips.
Likes For Korina:
Old 07-27-21, 06:24 PM
cthenn

The stories are endless, but how about the guy in Port Costa who killed a rider on McEwen Road several years ago, hid his truck, got away with it for several months, and when was finally caught, served practically no jail time.
Old 07-27-21, 07:06 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
The stories are endless, but how about the guy in Port Costa who killed a rider on McEwen Road several years ago, hid his truck, got away with it for several months, and when was finally caught, served practically no jail time.
Marci Kitchen; she was driving on a nearby road and ran over two 14-year-old girls skateboarding on the shoulder, and kept going. Arrived home, and asked her teenage son to hide her drugs. The girls? They were the woman's daughter and her best friend. They both died. Marci was given 8 years for vehicular manslaughter. I really feel sorry for her son.

Humans can really, really suck.
Old 07-27-21, 09:21 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Harold Brown - he was sentenced to two years and I think did one. I know some folks that went to his sentencing. He almost didn't get caught at all, but the police did have a pretty good manhunt.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 07-28-21, 09:31 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
anything new.. charges ? non-charges ?
Old 07-28-21, 01:49 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,030 Posts
Twenty-two year old, stayed on the scene, cooperated with the police, no indication that drugs or alcohol were involved. I have no official (or unofficial) source for any charging decisions, but that smells like no criminal prosecution to me. I'm not saying that what should happen, just my $.02 on what I think will happen.

This all could change in the direction of prosecuting the driver if the cops determine that the driver was on the phone or texting at the time.

I also note that the news stories say (in the body, not the headlines) the Mr. Knapp was "struck by a car" or such. Not good enough - the should say the driver drove his car/truck/vehicle into the bike - but it's at least a step forward from the very dismissive sounding "bike crash." Maybe we are (slowly) being heard. Maybe.
Old 09-24-21, 05:58 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
No criminal charges...

Really sad.
Likes For spdntrxi:
Old 09-26-21, 02:08 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi

Really sad.
Yet another example of the old saying: if you want to get away with killing someone, run em over on their bike.

And I really regret my using the term accident in the original title. It should have been murder.
Old 09-29-21, 08:43 AM
cthenn

Thankfully this does not absolve the "murderer" of civil liability. And being a high-profile, high-wage earner, there's a chance this person does not completely get off scott free.