Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

General Deterioration of These Forums

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

General Deterioration of These Forums

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-21, 04:11 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by base2

I have no understanding of how the "ignore" function works. I have never used it. I assume it works both ways. Is the offensive poster is blipped from forum existence from your perspective? Does that mean you are deleted from their existence as well? I ask because there are a number of posters I enjoyed reading that have disappeared. It could just be that posters I used to read & I have stopped crossing paths, but I have always had the nagging feeling the "ignore" function may be to blame.

In either case, I can't imagine a more snow-flakey response than to curate the world to only include thoughts, feeling, or opinions that you agree with.
I'd think the ignore function is a one-way trip..it's part of each member's user profile..which sounds fairly user-specific..like a username or password..etc... I see no reason why it would work in both directions..though in the slight chance that it did..I'd have no issue with it. Speaking for myself..there's no attempt to create a "snow-flakey" world. When I read a thread I often read successive responses without noting who actually authored the next response. If someone is on an ignore list the forum just inserts a notice that the next response "username is on your ignore list". The function it serves for me is increased efficiency in reading better content. Previous to using the ignore list I'd start reading the next response and at some point I'd think..'this guy is whacked..'..I'd look at the author only to find it's someone who is a zero in my world. The ignore function is a convenient way to not spend time suffering fools...more than once..certainly not more than twice. Life is too short..

I have no issues if someone doesn't agree with me. Sometimes I learn something and sometimes I don't. Typically I don't enter into debates on forums..waste of time & people seldom(like..never) change their opinion. People can believe what they like..it don't matter to me. Some folks just like to debate..anything..anything at all..anytime..any topic..I don't care..debate someone else..

I've learned sooo much by reading various posts here ..the good content.. over the years. I seldom start a thread as the answers to my many questions are invariably on the forum already..with just a tiny bit of searching, or on the web somewhere. About 95% of the time I have a question and do research for an answer, here or anywhere else it's available, and I never even think of posting a (often a rather mindless) question on BF "how do I...?..what do I do if...?" Seems a rather a lazy approach to learning something.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 11-15-21, 04:55 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i don't think that is the reason why most use the ignore feature (which i don't know how to use). pretty sure it has more to do with insults and the like.
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I use it for the same reason George Mallory climbed Everest.
Originally Posted by fishboat
I'd think the ignore function is a one-way trip..it's part of each member's user profile..which sounds fairly user-specific..like a username or password..etc... I see no reason why it would work in both directions..though in the slight chance that it did..I'd have no issue with it. Speaking for myself..there's no attempt to create a "snow-flakey" world. When I read a thread I often read successive responses without noting who actually authored the next response. If someone is on an ignore list the forum just inserts a notice that the next response "username is on your ignore list". The function it serves for me is increased efficiency in reading better content. Previous to using the ignore list I'd start reading the next response and at some point I'd think..'this guy is whacked..'..I'd look at the author only to find it's someone who is a zero in my world. The ignore function is a convenient way to not spend time suffering fools...more than once..certainly not more than twice. Life is too short..
Ok, this makes perfect sense.
Thank you.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 11-15-21, 04:55 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...once I got some venture capital investment, my first action was to hire the best programming and analytics talent, to expand the algorithm.
We here at 3alarmco believe that customer service is the real basis of our business model, and would never provide anything except the most conscientious service.

The Ignoromatic is the waving thread of the future.
Mr. Markets? Just make sure it's not FIAT money, gold would be even better.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-15-21, 05:02 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i don't think that is the reason why most use the ignore feature (which i don't know how to use). pretty sure it has more to do with insults and the like.
Look up at the blue bar across your screen. Click on "User CP (control panel)"

On the left side, beneath "Settings and Options", click on "Edit Ignore List"

Type the offending username into the line marked "Add Member to your list". Select, and then click "Okay"

Click "Save"

Voila!
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 11-15-21, 05:24 PM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
Any community is only as good as the worst it tolerates. It’s the natural entropy of communities. If you don’t actively work to make them better the worst people push the best people away. So you can’t “just ignore it”, because by ignoring it you are tolerating it.
Old 11-15-21, 05:41 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by denaffen
Any community is only as good as the worst it tolerates. It’s the natural entropy of communities. If you don’t actively work to make them better the worst people push the best people away. So you can’t “just ignore it”, because by ignoring it you are tolerating it.
Could you be a bit more judgemental and a bit more vague please?
Who exactly are the ‘worst’ people and what exactly have they done?
Old 11-15-21, 05:57 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I'm guessing they'll reveal themselves in due time.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-15-21, 06:20 PM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
I imagine you’d have better examples, than I would given that I’m new to this forum.

I’m not judging. I’m just sharing a truism of any community. Online or off.

If you recognized yourself in my comments above, that’s on you. I don’t know you. I don’t even know if we’ve ever interacted. So I assure you I didn’t have you in mind. If you thought I was referring to you being one of the worst people, I’m not sure what to tell you.
Likes For denaffen:
Old 11-15-21, 06:22 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I have no understanding of how the "ignore" function works. I have never used it. I assume it works both ways. Is the offensive poster is blipped from forum existance from your perspective? Does that mean you are deleted from their existence as well?
As fishboat explained, Ignore is a one-way function. You are not auto-Ignored by the member you Ignore.
I ask because there are a number of posters I enjoyed reading that have disappeared. It could just be that posters I used to read & I have stopped crossing paths, but I have always had the nagging feeling the "ignore" function may be to blame.
One cannot know why you don't see the members you like, but consider that maybe some of them have chosen to leave because of a few problem children.

In either case, I can't imagine a more snow-flakey response than to curate the world to only include thoughts, feeling, or opinions that you agree with.
I get your point, but look at it this way: if BikeForums was a saloon, and you found some of the customers to be boors, you'd at least move away from them to another place at the bar. Or you might find another saloon.

With enough words, eventually everyone says something that is misunderstood or taken in the wrong light. The difference is whether they clarified the misunderstanding or learned something new.
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
Old 11-15-21, 06:24 PM
Gravel Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
This thread doesn't make any sense.
Likes For Gravel Rider:
Old 11-15-21, 07:05 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts

Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-15-21, 07:35 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Leg shaving threads are the minor league compared to disc vs. rim brake threads. But, that will change once Big Bike forces everyone to shave their legs. 🙂
Can chain lube be used in place of shave cream"

gm
Old 11-15-21, 07:38 PM
downhillmaster

I imagine you’d have better examples, than I would given that I’m new to this forum.

I’m not judging. I’m just sharing a truism of any community. Online or off.

If you recognized yourself in my comments above, that’s on you. I don’t know you. I don’t even know if we’ve ever interacted. So I assure you I didn’t have you in mind. If you thought I was referring to you being one of the worst people, I’m not sure what to tell you.
You aren’t sharing a truism of any kind.
You are making vague generalizations with no examples.
I never once felt or suggested that you were referring to me btw.
Odd that you seem to feel that I care about your opinion of me though
Old 11-15-21, 07:40 PM
denaffen

Uh huh. Ok. Sure.
Likes For denaffen:
Old 11-15-21, 08:29 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
the problem with the ignore function is that it doesn't hide quotes of the person you're ignoring.

There have been some specific things mentioned in this thread that probably would be cleared up if you read the rules. Most notably, the rule against harassment. And if someone's tenure at bikeforums involves a lot of trolling and harassment and they haven't managed to get themselves banned, they get a lot less consideration from the mods. If you go to your profile and click on the "infractions" tab and at the bottom it says "page 1 of 5" then you can guess we are not going to help you out when you have caused trouble for yourself. It's funny because that applies to multiple people commenting in this thread.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-15-21, 08:29 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
What we need is 1 religion. Then everyone would be in tune and on the same page with each other. How peaceful would that be??? kumbaya

Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 11-15-21, 08:33 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
I assure you, that EVERY SINGLE reported post gets looked at.

Some of you who have had messages from myself or my team are quite aware of that and can vouch that we do get on it.

The thing is, people don't want to report it....
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-15-21, 10:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
It seems to depend on who's on duty and who's making the report, as unterhausen suggested above. I've given up reporting duplicate/multiple threads and threads in the wrong forum. Maybe others have as well. I'm not complaining, just took me awhile to figure it out.
Old 11-15-21, 11:20 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts

Some of you who have had messages from myself or my team are quite aware of that and can vouch that we do get on it.

....I can vouch for this. I am a horrible person, and need to be reminded of this from time to time.
Old 11-15-21, 11:24 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It seems to depend on who's on duty and who's making the report, as unterhausen suggested above. I've given up reporting duplicate/multiple threads and threads in the wrong forum. Maybe others have as well. I'm not complaining, just took me awhile to figure it out.

...I feel like, if I report s post, it creates a disturbance in the Force. But I am one with the Force. You can see the conflict.
Old 11-16-21, 06:45 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Seems like an entirely rational statement to me. Sadly, the ignore function is all that's available to us regular folk, other than reporting posts that are clearly off the rails.

It would be interesting(only if it was never communicated to the general population) if BF developed a robot job in the software to eliminate losers based the total number of people that placed said loser on their ignore list. Sort of a blind sampling of the population to ID people that are thought to be generally offensive. This would require fairly broad use of the ignore function. Again, it would only work (well) if this function/robot was never communicated to the general membership.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 11-16-21, 06:58 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Censorship by bot? Is that what we really need, really want instead of simply ignoring posts by those you dislike? What hardship is there in not reading someone's post?
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 11-16-21, 07:20 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by fishboat
Seems like an entirely rational statement to me. Sadly, the ignore function is all that's available to us regular folk, other than reporting posts that are clearly off the rails.

It would be interesting(only if it was never communicated to the general population) if BF developed a robot job in the software to eliminate losers based the total number of people that placed said loser on their ignore list. Sort of a blind sampling of the population to ID people that are thought to be generally offensive. This would require fairly broad use of the ignore function. Again, it would only work (well) if this function/robot was never communicated to the general membership.
Orwell would be so proud of you

Who knew the oh so real struggles of trying to navigate an online forum with only an ignore button to protect your delicate sensibilities.

I hope that someday you find true inner peace my brother. May the bots be with you.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 11-16-21, 08:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
The post you responded to didnt seem judgmental, it seemed analytical. Its simply an analysis of one possible way for a forum(or community) to go downhill. Stating a reality isnt necessarily being judgmental.

If I were to post that Pancreatic Cancer is one of the deadliest types of cancer with only 5% living 5 years after diagnosis, that isnt me being judgmental, its me being analytical and just stating a reality.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-16-21, 08:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I understand why the no duplicate threads rule exists- if it didnt, the same thing could be plastered across every forum and it gets messy.
At the same time, there is so much crossover in forums that I actually think some threads can exist in a couple different forums- and not just exist, but be beneficial.

A thread about a specific steel road bike could exist in both road and c&v.
A thread about a gravel bike could exist in both gravel and road.
etc etc etc.

Someone who posts a lot in c&v asks that forum about lighting because they know many posters and trust opinions- cool. They also post a thread in electronics because that may widen the net- cool. That hardly seems harmful. And given the likelihood that a lot of people who read c&v arent jumping into the electronics forum often(or ever), discussion of that topic can benefit others too, either in the immediate or months down the line as a reference.

I often wonder what general cycling would look like if all the threads were moved to 'appropriate' forums. The MTB threads in MTB, the road bike threads in road, the hybrid threads in hybrid, the mechanical threads in mechanics, etc. General cycling forum would be a ghost town.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.