Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Comfort and flexible

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Comfort and flexible

Old 11-19-21, 10:53 PM
Singlespeed420
Why are you reading this

Bikes: 2020 Giant Contend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Comfort and flexible

Sometimes I think it's kind of uncomfortable to be in a more forward position, was wondering if you guys think me taking up yoga and just being more flexible would help that problem.
Old 11-20-21, 05:14 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Mainly it’s faster because it’s more aero. It can be comfortable if your setup/fit are good. Some yoga and core exercises may be helpful but YMMV.
Old 11-20-21, 06:52 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Most peole have sore hands/elbows/shoulders because they lean on their hands---particularly late in a ride, when the legs are tired.

Core exercises will help. Yoga is generally a good thing but not needed .....Flexibility is also a good thing, but the issue is your fit and fitness. If your bike is set up only to be comfortable when your legs are fresh, then the ends of your rides will be painful.

The answer is generally to increase leg strength. If your legs bear more of your weight everything else bears less. Also, though, some folks see pro racers and try for that position, not realizing what it takes to be efficient in that position. Work toward it slowly, I would say. Those guys have trained all day, every day, for years to be able to put out power in that posture. They have all the leg strength and core strength they need to sustain it and still push hard.

If I tried to ride like that I would be more aero but slower, as my joints and muscles are not able to work at max output in that bent and folded a posture. If I trained all day, every day, I could .... but since i know I won't, I sacrifice a little aero for more comfort, which translates to higher overall speed (which is not that important to me, though I care some) and also a lot more happiness while riding.

Your mileage Will vary. Adapt whatever I say to whatever your world looks like ... or toss it. I really don't know much anyway.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-20-21, 07:04 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
You're being rather vague as to how it's more uncomfortable for you. Aching arms, numb nethers, shrieking shoulders, hurting hands, pained posterior - all could have different causes and different solutions.
Old 11-20-21, 07:15 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,389 Times in 2,734 Posts
Originally Posted by Singlespeed420
Sometimes I think it's kind of uncomfortable to be in a more forward position, was wondering if you guys think me taking up yoga and just being more flexible would help that problem.
How far are you riding before the thought comes to you? If you are new to drop bar bikes you may just need more time/distance. Your Giant Contend is a normal fit unless you've done something to change it. If you think you'll enjoy Yoga, go for it. Unlikely to hurt anything.
Old 11-20-21, 10:10 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I ride comfortably in what I think you refer to as a "forward" position.
I have never done yoga and am not flexible. Never done core exercises, just am reasonably active in my job.
However I have been riding and racing road bikes on and off for the last 40 yrs.
Old 11-21-21, 06:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
You're being rather vague as to how it's more uncomfortable for you. Aching arms, numb nethers, shrieking shoulders, hurting hands, pained posterior - all could have different causes and different solutions.
Nothing hurts as much as excessive alliteration ..... talk to your bike fitter.

(I couldn't read a post like that and not respond .... but if I said something complimentary everyone would think my account got hacked.)
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-21-21, 10:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I'd think it'd help make you stronger in the core and more limber. So even if it doesn't help you to the extent you want on the bike, it'll help you in other ways.

Staying low and aero might also be a little bit of understanding what it does for your numbers. When you can correlate in your data the rides that you did and didn't stay aero and see a notable to you difference, then you'll simply be more motivated to stay aero and overcome the things that make it feel odd to you.

When I'm very aero, I also am in a position that my elbows have a good bend in them and my wrist and hands are not taking the brunt of the road bumps and other forces that sometimes make them numb on long rides.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-21-21 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-21-21, 08:33 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Singlespeed420
Absolutely - I did yoga in my college rec ctr (too undisciplined to do it on my own) for ~6 mo before COVID shut everything down, and it made a huge difference to my comfort in the drops. I'm 58 and not very flexible. As soon as we start back full-time, I'll be looking for another yoga class - something that emphasizes practical physical flexibility rather than "woo".
Old 12-01-21, 11:06 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
What makes forward position more comfortable is by reducing upperbody weight (quit all strength training with your arms and chest), core muscle exercises, and by increasing your average power output. All these changes helps unload your arms.

No need to do yoga for that although yoga is still useful (in general) for cycling.
This is good advice if your only goal is a more comfortable forward position. At 77, I strength train muscle groups including arms and chest because it is recommended for maintaining bone density in old people like me. I also do yoga mostly after rides. Shoulder stretches seem to help with pain/discomfort from riding. I agree with Maleochs that I tend to put more weight on my hands toward the end of a long ride. I tied a bit of bright ribbon to my handlebars reminding me to keep my core strong and shoulders relaxed.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 12-01-21, 11:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
OP- yoga certainly wont hurt reaching your goal. It should make you more flexible and increase you core strength and both of those help with being comfortable in the drops. Also, a proper setup helps.
Old 12-01-21, 12:24 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,462 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Absolutely - I did yoga in my college rec ctr (too undisciplined to do it on my own) for ~6 mo before COVID shut everything down, and it made a huge difference to my comfort in the drops. I'm 58 and not very flexible. As soon as we start back full-time, I'll be looking for another yoga class - something that emphasizes practical physical flexibility rather than "woo".
This is a good idea. I should try to see if there are any beginner's yoga classes offered outdoors.

Since I have come to accept wearing tight, revealing clothing in public through road cycling, I might as well sign up for a yoga class.
Old 12-02-21, 09:21 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
OP disappeared lol