Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Way Of The (Mafac) Racer

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Way Of The (Mafac) Racer

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-21, 02:19 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
Hi everybody. I've got a Mafac Racer front cable hanger question.

I would like to use my set of Racers with my 1951/1952 Sun Wasp "Massed Start" DB 531 build. They are great brakes, and would have been a somewhat period correct upgrade for the bike a few years after production. It would also save me some money in this build instead of buying GB Coureur brakes off eBay. The trick is that the front hangar (below) has its little tooth to fit into the top of the threaded fork, but the indent in the Sun Wasp fork is front-facing, instead of toward the back of the bike. I can't use this hangar.

Does anyone have suggestions on a similar one I could find that would work? Thank you.

20210320_154245
I would remove the tab then JB weld or maybe solder it to a plain tabbed washer washer putting the tab in front where you need it.
Old 03-20-21, 04:36 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
I would like to use my set of Racers with my 1951/1952 Sun Wasp "Massed Start" DB 531 build. They are great brakes, and would have been a somewhat period correct upgrade for the bike a few years after production. It would also save me some money in this build instead of buying GB Coureur brakes off eBay. The trick is that the front hangar (below) has its little tooth to fit into the top of the threaded fork, but the indent in the Sun Wasp fork is front-facing, instead of toward the back of the bike. I can't use this hangar.

Does anyone have suggestions on a similar one I could find that would work?
If you have enough threads available on the steer tube, file off the tooth on the hanger and use a plain toothed washer between it and the locknut.
Old 03-20-21, 05:30 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Another solution is to ditch the hanger and drill a small hole through the stem. Done neatly with a sink for the cable end it looks cool and I think much nice than the hanger. It saves a bot of weight, as well. To make it really trick you tap the hole to the thread size of the adjuster.

This is the GB stem on my trike:

Likes For Dawes-man:
Old 03-20-21, 07:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Random experiences with Mafac Racers and other Mafac parts: For rain/city/winter bikes, those make super front brakes. I prefer Weinmanns or Diacompes for the rear because they are both stiffer and weaker, so with the longer housing, they feel the same as the Mafac fronts and being weaker for the rear is simple better. (Rode in town this morning on that setup in light rain and wet roads. Never thought about stopping power once and it was downhill and downwind. (Tektro levers, CX interrupter levers that I forgot to use and KoolStop pads.)

Mafac Cantilevers: I had my Mooney built for them. First winter, I rode down Alba Road above Santa Cruz in a January Pacific storm. 2000' in 4 miles. Very curvy road, mediocre pavement and rivers of water running across it. I had to brake continuously to keep speed down for the turns (tire traction being the big issue). The first half I used just my index fingers on the brakes. Then the steady braking and wet cold took their toll and I had to go to 2 fingers for the rest. At the bottom "these brakes work!" Sadly for Mafac, they came off when I picked up an early Miyata 610 with the nicer Shimano cantis (of the exact same geometry).

Mafac levers: I'm a complete aero fan so once they showed up, I was never going back. That said, the Racer levers were sweet. Big; my hands loved them and the rolled metal on the lever undersides meant that I never wore the skin off my index or middle finger climbing walls on my fix gear. I set my Mooney up with 2000 levers. Beautiful but brutal for my hands.

And my dream: that someone buys or makes the tooling to forge and make those Racer calipers again. Yes, I can get CNC'd Pauls. but my engineering mind tells me it wants to trust our life to forged arms, especially on a brake that might get used far too long. I see those Racers as being an engineering wonder. Cheap, easy to make (once you have the forge), they work really well for a long time (in fact long after lots of play has happened) and I don't think I've ever heard of a failure that wasn't pure mechanic or rider error. And is there a caliper that got used more? There were a lot of Peugeot UO-8s made!
Old 03-20-21, 08:56 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
the indent in the Sun Wasp fork is front-facing, instead of toward the back of the bike. I can't use this hangar.
FYI, a hangar is a building for airplanes. You want a hanger.

Sounds like your Sun was intended for side-pulls. Housing hangers always have the tongue in back, AFAIK.
I recommend you use the one you have, after filing the tab off with a half-round file, or other tool of your choice. Another option is to add another new key-way in the back of the steerer, not too difficult to create one with a warding file.

Tongue washers are optional on headsets. I usually use one, but when I don't, I still have no trouble adjusting the headset and locking it in place. With a hanger with no tongue, you'll have to adjust the position of the hanger at the same time as you tighten down the headset locknut — a bit of a juggling act, but it only needs to be done once in a long while (interval between headset overhauls). If you have enough steerer length, try two tongue washers, one above and one below the hanger, so adjusting the headset won't tend to make the hanger rotate out of position.

Mark B
Old 03-21-21, 07:07 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
I would remove the tab then JB weld or maybe solder it to a plain tabbed washer washer putting the tab in front where you need it.
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
If you have enough threads available on the steer tube, file off the tooth on the hanger and use a plain toothed washer between it and the locknut.
Originally Posted by Dawes-man
Another solution is to ditch the hanger and drill a small hole through the stem. Done neatly with a sink for the cable end it looks cool and I think much nice than the hanger. It saves a bot of weight, as well. To make it really trick you tap the hole to the thread size of the adjuster.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Random experiences with Mafac Racers and other Mafac parts: For rain/city/winter bikes, those make super front brakes. I prefer Weinmanns or Diacompes for the rear because they are both stiffer and weaker, so with the longer housing, they feel the same as the Mafac fronts and being weaker for the rear is simple better. (Rode in town this morning on that setup in light rain and wet roads. Never thought about stopping power once and it was downhill and downwind. (Tektro levers, CX interrupter levers that I forgot to use and KoolStop pads.)

Mafac Cantilevers: I had my Mooney built for them. First winter, I rode down Alba Road above Santa Cruz in a January Pacific storm. 2000' in 4 miles. Very curvy road, mediocre pavement and rivers of water running across it. I had to brake continuously to keep speed down for the turns (tire traction being the big issue). The first half I used just my index fingers on the brakes. Then the steady braking and wet cold took their toll and I had to go to 2 fingers for the rest. At the bottom "these brakes work!" Sadly for Mafac, they came off when I picked up an early Miyata 610 with the nicer Shimano cantis (of the exact same geometry).

Mafac levers: I'm a complete aero fan so once they showed up, I was never going back. That said, the Racer levers were sweet. Big; my hands loved them and the rolled metal on the lever undersides meant that I never wore the skin off my index or middle finger climbing walls on my fix gear. I set my Mooney up with 2000 levers. Beautiful but brutal for my hands.

And my dream: that someone buys or makes the tooling to forge and make those Racer calipers again. Yes, I can get CNC'd Pauls. but my engineering mind tells me it wants to trust our life to forged arms, especially on a brake that might get used far too long. I see those Racers as being an engineering wonder. Cheap, easy to make (once you have the forge), they work really well for a long time (in fact long after lots of play has happened) and I don't think I've ever heard of a failure that wasn't pure mechanic or rider error. And is there a caliper that got used more? There were a lot of Peugeot UO-8s made!
Originally Posted by bulgie
FYI, a hangar is a building for airplanes. You want a hanger.

Sounds like your Sun was intended for side-pulls. Housing hangers always have the tongue in back, AFAIK.
I recommend you use the one you have, after filing the tab off with a half-round file, or other tool of your choice. Another option is to add another new key-way in the back of the steerer, not too difficult to create one with a warding file.

Tongue washers are optional on headsets. I usually use one, but when I don't, I still have no trouble adjusting the headset and locking it in place. With a hanger with no tongue, you'll have to adjust the position of the hanger at the same time as you tighten down the headset locknut — a bit of a juggling act, but it only needs to be done once in a long while (interval between headset overhauls). If you have enough steerer length, try two tongue washers, one above and one below the hanger, so adjusting the headset won't tend to make the hanger rotate out of position.

Mark B
Thanks everyone for the insights! Dawes-man - that set up is very cool, but I am not confident enough to drill into my GB stem that just arrived from Hilary Stone

I'm going to try filing the tab off and using a washer out of my kit. Like I said, I've got these Racers with KoolStop pads already installed and they worked well with my AO8.
Likes For Ged117:
Old 03-21-21, 07:49 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Here's the GB "Forged Hiduminium" stem on one of my bikes:

I actually milled and drilled and tapped it myself, but aiming to make it look like the "factory" drilled model from GB. That adjusting barrel is from a Suntour V-GT derailer.

Nowadays I usually avoid changing historical parts like that, which will confuse future bike collectors. But when I did it, in about 1976, these parts weren't so old and rare.

That's a '71 Super Course there. Yes, that fork was never meant to have a Campy headset. "Rules were made to be broken".

Mark B
Old 03-21-21, 09:51 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Here's the GB "Forged Hiduminium" stem on one of my bikes:

I actually milled and drilled and tapped it myself, but aiming to make it look like the "factory" drilled model from GB. That adjusting barrel is from a Suntour V-GT derailer.

Nowadays I usually avoid changing historical parts like that, which will confuse future bike collectors. But when I did it, in about 1976, these parts weren't so old and rare.

That's a '71 Super Course there. Yes, that fork was never meant to have a Campy headset. "Rules were made to be broken".

Mark B
I read somewhere recently that GB stems weren't ever 'factory' drilled, but that it was a popular mod back in the day. Checking on the VeloBase entry for the stem just now I see the consensus there is that they were never offered by GB, with one person qualifying that claim by pointing out 'they were never advertised'.

Modifying historical parts is a tricky subject but generally I agree.
Old 06-23-21, 06:34 AM
karldub

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Great and informative thread. Regarding upgrading the front hanger to a newer/stiffer one, does anybody have any input/recommendations on what to get? Looking to upgrade this for my Peugeot PR-10 so it would need to be compatible with the headset - any inputs on how to check compatibility?

The front cable hangers I've found are the Dia-Compe Cable Hanger for Ahead and Problem Solvers Cross Cable Hanger but don't know about compatibility.

Cheers,
Karl
Old 06-23-21, 12:08 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by karldub
Great and informative thread. Regarding upgrading the front hanger to a newer/stiffer one, does anybody have any input/recommendations on what to get? Looking to upgrade this for my Peugeot PR-10 so it would need to be compatible with the headset - any inputs on how to check compatibility?

The front cable hangers I've found are the Dia-Compe Cable Hanger for Ahead and Problem Solvers Cross Cable Hanger but don't know about compatibility.

Cheers,
Karl
That's old enough to have a French (25 mm) steerer, right? Then a hanger for English 25.4 mm steerer will fit loose enough that the tongue won't engage well, even if the steerer has a groove for it. (Many French steerers have a flat instead of a groove, but I seem to remember Peugeot preferred a keyway style groove.) A tongue that engages only partly will be prone to rotating and munging the threads, so it might be safer to file the tongue off completely.

Personally on a nice old bike like that I'd rather have an original Mafac hanger. Any modern replacement will look bad, to my eye. Some people overestimate the downside of flex. It does not reduce your braking "power" at all, unless you run out of lever travel, i.e. bottoming the lever against the handlebar. Mafac levers have abundant travel, unless you have your brakes adjusted very loose, to where most of your lever travel is used up moving the pads through the air to get to the rim. As Archie Bell and the Drells sang, "Do the Tighten-Up."

I suspect the two hangers you mention are not compatible, but I didn't research it. The word "Ahead" makes me think that one is made for threadless steerers. Remember your stack height of the headset plus hanger thickness has to fit the cut length of your steerer, or else you won't have enough threads for the top nut.

Mark B
Old 06-23-21, 06:18 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
I purchased a 1971 (I think) Gitane TdF yesterday, brought it home, and proceeded to preflight it to make sure everything was okay. Checking the front brakes (these are Competitions), I noticed that the left (when facing the bike from the front) pad was loose. Tried to tighten it up, but it remained loose. It was then that I noticed that the left side spacer was narrower than the right. Sure enough, upon checking the rear brake, it was clear that this spacer was the odd-man-out, as all the others are thicker. So I'm thinking this must be the issue, right?

As I have some spare Racers around (who doesn't?) with the thicker spacer, I'm thinking this will fix the issue. Gonna give it a shot tomorrow.

Old 06-23-21, 06:36 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by johnnyace
As I have some spare Racers around (who doesn't?) with the thicker spacer, I'm thinking this will fix the issue. Gonna give it a shot tomorrow.
But then your Racer will be one spacer short, right? You need a Racer Spacer™? PM me your address if you want, I can send you one. It will be used, "patinated", but usable.

BTW nice score on the TdF, is the rest of the bike as pristine as that brake pic?

If that's a front brake then I think the pad holders may be backwards, open end facing the front? A bit hard to tell from the pic so I may be way off there.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 06-23-21, 07:09 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,957 Posts
I read somewhere recently that GB stems weren't ever 'factory' drilled, but that it was a popular mod back in the day. Checking on the VeloBase entry for the stem just now I see the consensus there is that they were never offered by GB, with one person qualifying that claim by pointing out 'they were never advertised'.

Modifying historical parts is a tricky subject but generally I agree.
of course if modifying historical parts was completely taboo, Old early 19th century houses wouldn’t have flush toilets or internet...

I think it enhances it when done for function in an elegant way! And y’alls’ do!

now...how about some brifters with those Mafacs...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 06-23-21, 08:38 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
But then your Racer will be one spacer short, right? You need a Racer Spacer™? PM me your address if you want, I can send you one. It will be used, "patinated", but usable.

BTW nice score on the TdF, is the rest of the bike as pristine as that brake pic?

If that's a front brake then I think the pad holders may be backwards, open end facing the front? A bit hard to tell from the pic so I may be way off there.

Mark B
Yes, that would be great, and I will need it for my Peugeot PX10 build. PM incoming...

The rest of the TdF is in great shape, I'll post the pics to a gallery. I had huge regret for selling a very pristine gold 1972 TdF a couple of years ago, so I have been keeping my eyes open for another one of the same quality. Happened to find one on the local craigslist, in blue, that has the "upgrade" package: high flange Campy hubs, Huret derailleurs (Jubilee RD!), and as an added bonus Mavic tubular wheelset.

No, the pads both front and rear are set up correctly, open end facing rear.

Thanks Mark!

EDIT: Here's the Gitane TdF gallery.

Last edited by johnnyace; 06-23-21 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-28-21, 07:54 AM
mariachi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I had a weinmann vainqueur 750 front brake on my fixed gear townie with kool stop mtb pads. It worked "fine" with the Cane Creek SCR-5, but it wasn't super powerful (far from locking the front wheel). Mafac racers have nicer bolts and parts and are smaller, so I thought it would be an improvement. I haven't been able to get them to be at least as good as the Weinmann after fiddling around with straddle cable height, pads in, pads out, etc. Whatever I do, it seems the result is always the same: it slows me down, but barely.

Am I setting them up correctly?
  • center brakes, tighten crown bolt
  • install cable hanger at desired height (I tried from lowest possible to current distance (see pics) and tighten
  • thread shifter cable through the little bolt stopper, the hanger and the other arm's bolt, then remove slack and tighten (I do not move the arms towards the rim at all!, just removing slack)
  • adjust alignment and distance of pads to the rim, tighten
  • go ride
I'm aware aero levers have a lot of mechanical advantage (I gave up on cantis on my VO pass hunter and went with TRP mini-vs to avoid dealing with it), but so many people on this thread and others e.g. Jan Heine's bikes and other frame builders that I guess I must be doing something wrong. Additionally, like I said at the top everything worked "ok" with the Weinmanns, but I thought the Mafacs would be better because one can fine tune them further.

(In the pics the brake looks cramped with the rack's tab, but there's space and it never touches; the cables are uncut because I'm still fiddling with them)

Old 11-28-21, 12:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@mariachi, 1. shorten the straddle cable as much as possible. That will increase leverage. 2. Also, maybe the straddle cable is too flexible. It looks to be braided. Use a regular twisted cable, such as your main brake cable is. 3. Another thing to try is raising the pads a little on the caliper arms and then you'll have to point them down a bit. Maybe shortening the effective length of the caliper arm will increase leverage.

Thank you for posting excellent pictures.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-28-21, 01:14 PM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
Probably irrelevant since I'm guessing you're using the same cable hanger mounted on the headset, but I personally noticed a massive improvement in brake power and reduced sponginess on my Zeus by dumping the Weinmann/Dia Compe QR-style headset hanger and swapping over to the simpler and stiffer Mafac hanger (w/o QR). With the Weinmann, you could see the hanger flexing pretty badly when pulling on the brake lever.
Old 11-28-21, 01:54 PM
mariachi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@mariachi, 1. shorten the straddle cable as much as possible. That will increase leverage. 2. Also, maybe the straddle cable is too flexible. It looks to be braided. Use a regular twisted cable, such as your main brake cable is. 3. Another thing to try is raising the pads a little on the caliper arms and then you'll have to point them down a bit. Maybe shortening the effective length of the caliper arm will increase leverage.

Thank you for posting excellent pictures.
I thought the problem would be excessive mechanical advantage in the system, am I wrong? Because if I understand the effects of your suggestions, I'll have to place the pads really close to the rim and the lever won't travel far while braking, is that correct? Asking because I just went to opposite route of raising the hanger even further and didn't feel much change. I hear you on the cable, I'm using an old braided cable to test it out before swapping for a better one (this actually came with simplex retrofriction levers I bought years ago).

No problem, I may post pictures of the full bike if I can make it lock the front wheel
Old 11-28-21, 02:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@mariachi, too much mechanical advantage would make the braking action feel mushy or would allow the lever to reach the bar before you get maximum braking. I'm not saying to make the pads closer, but it won't hurt and might help. Of course you have to leave a little room for the inevitable wheel wobble.

Raising the yoke (not the hanger) by lengthening the straddle (yoke) cable decreases mechanical advantage. That might feel like a hard stop when you pull the lever. You want more, not less.

Don't lock your front wheel while riding. That will pitch you over. You want to slow it fast.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.