Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Suffern/Sloatsburg/Piermont/Nyack

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 05-23-21, 11:38 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Is there any good bike route, vicinity of the Hudson River towns Piermont and Nyack to Suffern/Sloatsburg in order to ride on Seven Lakes Drive?
Old 07-03-21, 05:32 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Is there any good bike route, vicinity of the Hudson River towns Piermont and Nyack to Suffern/Sloatsburg in order to ride on Seven Lakes Drive?
If you like climbing you could take bike 9 to Gate Hill Rd into Harriman Park, then Lake Wech Drive, or 106 down to Seven Lakes
Old 07-04-21, 05:24 PM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Originally Posted by dendawg
If you like climbing you could take bike 9 to Gate Hill Rd into Harriman Park, then Lake Wech Drive, or 106 down to Seven Lakes
That's quite a different ride than I was thinking of, but a good alternative as there isn't any nice route west from Piermont or Nyack to Suffern. I've asked many people with some Harriman State Park knowledge why there is no way to cross over the parkway from Haverstraw to Tiorati Brook Rd, but no one ever gets back to me.
Old 07-04-21, 05:39 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
That's quite a different ride than I was thinking of, but a good alternative as there isn't any nice route west from Piermont or Nyack to Suffern. I've asked many people with some Harriman State Park knowledge why there is no way to cross over the parkway from Haverstraw to Tiorati Brook Rd, but no one ever gets back to me.
The problem is Seven Lakes Drive crosses and becomes part of the Palisades Pkwy for a short distance, and riding on or crossing the parkway on a bicycle is illegal. So one can ride Seven lakes from Sloatsburg to the Long Mtn traffic circle, but not legally ride across it to get to 9W. There are other ways to get into the western end of the park, like riding over Little Tor to get to County Rd 98, and then a steep climb to where it merges with 106 and enters the park. Just can't remember the actual road names off the top of my head. A search on Strava ir Ride With GPS might give more insight. The other problem is to get to the start of Seven Lakes in Sloatsburg will involve riding 59 and 17 for part of the way.
Old 08-09-21, 05:44 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Originally Posted by dendawg
The problem is Seven Lakes Drive crosses and becomes part of the Palisades Pkwy for a short distance, and riding on or crossing the parkway on a bicycle is illegal. So one can ride Seven lakes from Sloatsburg to the Long Mtn traffic circle, but not legally ride across it to get to 9W. There are other ways to get into the western end of the park, like riding over Little Tor to get to County Rd 98, and then a steep climb to where it merges with 106 and enters the park. Just can't remember the actual road names off the top of my head. A search on Strava ir Ride With GPS might give more insight. The other problem is to get to the start of Seven Lakes in Sloatsburg will involve riding 59 and 17 for part of the way.
I once overshot onto the parkway. It's an easy mistake to make! The ranger who stopped me was almost purple with anger. If he'd been a cop I'd probably have been arrested. I backtracked a couple hundred yards to the section of 7LD that goes past Perkins Rd, and on to the Bear Mt Inn (I wanted to cross the bridge for the ride up to Cold Spring).

Last edited by paulb_in_bkln; 08-09-21 at 05:47 AM.