Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Bike safety on the Golden Gate Bridge

Notices
Northern California Northern California

Old 10-06-21, 06:29 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts

If you ride the bridge, you're probably already aware of this, but the GGB district is looking for cyclist feedback about safety here. And here's the StreetsBlog article about it.
Likes For Korina:
Old 10-06-21, 09:53 PM
returnoftheyeti

Bikes: Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 19 Posts

Maybe they should just stop rebuilding it after its destroyed every time.
Likes For returnoftheyeti:
Old 10-07-21, 05:10 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
On weekends on the west side path of the GGB (when and where I bike the bridge), the Number 2 hazard is tourists on rental bikes from Fisherman's Wharf. The Number 1 hazard is the flock of the Lance Armstrong/Chris Froom wannabes who insist on treating the GGB as if it were the Champs Elysees on the final day of the Tour de France. In both cases, the utter lack of situational awareness is mind-boggling.
Old 10-07-21, 09:25 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
I would reverse that order, but agreed more or less
Old 10-08-21, 11:20 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Originally Posted by cthenn
I would reverse that order, but agreed more or less
Yeah, reasonable minds can differ as to which is worse. It's close, but I put the racer-boys (and it's always males) at the top of the Naughty list because, as experienced riders, they should know better. The tourists often do dumb stuff, and it can be really irritating (and dangerous), but so many of them are inexperienced and truly know not what they do.

Last edited by bikingshearer; 10-10-21 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-09-21, 02:17 AM
DaveReading

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
On weekends on the west side path of the GGB (when and where I bike the bridge), the Number 2 hazard is tourists on rental bikes from Fisherman's Wharf. The Number 1 hazard is the flock of the Lance Armstrong/Chris Froom wannabes who insist on treating the GGB as if it were the Champs Elysees on the final day of the Tour de France. In both cases, the utter lack of situational awareness is mind-boggling.
The only time I've ridden the Bridge was indeed on rental bikes from Fisherman's Wharf with my wife, ticking one more thing off our bucket list.

We didn't see another soul on a bike, possibly because of our lack of situational awareness, but more likely because it was pouring with rain at the time.
Old 10-09-21, 11:12 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Well, you had enough situational awareness to know it was raining . . . .

Not every tourist on a rental bike is clueless, and not every hard-core racer is selfish. In fact, most are not. Unfortunately, a large enough minority of both groups are, and the space is confined enough, to detract from the experience.
Old 10-10-21, 12:57 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
It may be me, but all that sure sounds like infrastructure problems, namely, not enough space. Imagine the whining if cars were that crowded.
Old 10-10-21, 03:41 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Originally Posted by Korina
It may be me, but all that sure sounds like infrastructure problems, namely, not enough space. Imagine the whining if cars were that crowded.
They often are that crowded, and they do whine. And you're right, the issue is insufficient space. Of course, nobody in 1936 expected there would be so many people, cars and bikes in the area.
Old 10-11-21, 09:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
fun bridge but scary w/ kids
Old 10-11-21, 03:10 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
…Of course, nobody in 1936 expected there would be so many people, cars and bikes in the area.
They probably did, actually, given how fast the population of Marin County was growing in the 1920s. What they probably didn’t expect is that all those future people would drive everywhere by themselves, one person per 4,000lb of metal!

It would be very interesting to know how much traffic they expected the bridge to carry compared to the current volumes!

Old 10-13-21, 12:56 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
Yeah, reasonable minds can differ as to which is worse. It's close, but I put the racer-boys (and it's always males) at the top of the Naughty list because, as experienced riders, they should know better. The tourists often do dumb stuff, and it can be really irritating (and dangerous), but so many of them are inexperienced and truly know not what they do.
Def don't want to start an argument, it's useless, but I guess I somewhat object to the "racer boy" stereotype which is seemingly just as prevalent as those labeled as "Freds". Just because someone is wearing a skin tight kit, and rides fast, I don't think that makes them Tour de France wannabes or that everything is a race. There are a lot of guys who are fit enough that riding 20+mph is easy breezy for them. A lot of them do ride in packs, and there are definitely a fair share of them who are like that, thinking everything is a race, and that passing is challenging their manhood (in my experience, most of those are the 50+ year old MAMILs ). In fact, I can't even recall a time where some young dude got "offended" by a pass, almost without fail it's the older guys. I wish I was fit enough to cruise around that fast, or to be able to ride hard for hours on end. We agree that on the bridge, or other kinds of similar situations, there are always those who are not situationally aware, but for me the gawking tourists weaving all over the place riding 2, 3 abreast is worse. At least the racer boys generally have bike skills whereas I have to hold my breath going around some of these tourists!

Last edited by cthenn; 10-13-21 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-13-21, 05:42 PM
blt

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Def don't want to start an argument, it's useless, but I guess I somewhat object to the "racer boy" stereotype which is seemingly just as prevalent as those labeled as "Freds". Just because someone is wearing a skin tight kit, and rides fast, I don't think that makes them Tour de France wannabes or that everything is a race. There are a lot of guys who are fit enough that riding 20+mph is easy breezy for them. A lot of them do ride in packs, and there are definitely a fair share of them who are like that, thinking everything is a race, and that passing is challenging their manhood (in my experience, most of those are the 50+ year old MAMILs ). In fact, I can't even recall a time where some young dude got "offended" by a pass, almost without fail it's the older guys. I wish I was fit enough to cruise around that fast, or to be able to ride hard for hours on end. We agree that on the bridge, or other kinds of similar situations, there are always those who are not situationally aware, but for me the gawking tourists weaving all over the place riding 2, 3 abreast is worse. At least the racer boys generally have bike skills whereas I have to hold my breath going around some of these tourists!
Well, the tourist stereotype is also not fair if we're applying it to all tourists, heck, I've been one of those tourists on a bike (not on the GGB, but other places).

I think that bikingshearer's comment is completely fair if you also read his earlier post in this thread into it. He said, "Not every tourist on a rental bike is clueless, and not every hard-core racer is selfish. In fact, most are not. Unfortunately, a large enough minority of both groups are, and the space is confined enough, to detract from the experience."

So the question isn't who is worse, the hard-core racers in general or the tourists in general, this isn't about stereotyping. The question is who is worse, the problem hard-core racers (a minority of hard-core racers) or the problem tourists (a minority if tourists) --
bikingshearer acknowledges that reasonable minds can differ as to which is worse, and that it is close. He seems to use "should know better" as his tiebreaker. That seems like not so much a "what puts our safety at risk more" assessment so much as a "what do we judge to be the more despicable behavior" assessment, and his reasoning is fair.

For me, on the GGB, the hard-core racers put my safety at risk more than the tourists, in part because the problem tourists don't come up from behind me, I am generally prepared for the danger the tourists present. I don't trust any of them, I see all who are near me, and I ride accordingly. Similarly, I don't trust the hard-core racers, but they can come up fast from behind, and in spite of the rear-view mirror attached to on my glasses, they are sometimes upon me before I realize they are coming, and if in a pack, it gets pretty dangerous. If I'm lucky enough see a speedy pack coming from behind on the GGB and I have time, I usually get off my bike before they get to me, for self-preservation purposes.

Forget the GGB, however, simply out on the roads of the East Bay, most of my close calls have been on more rural roads with the hard-core racer types blasting by. While the behavior is perhaps even scarier on the GGB where there is less space, on the GGB at least there is a reason for coming close, the confined space. Out on rural roads, there is no reason for them to come close like they often do. As a generalization, the larger the pack, the more likely their behavior is to be dangerous; even with the largest packs, it is a minority that is a problem (and probably a minority within the larger packs that are a problem), but those minorities should know better.