Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

cheap source for 27" tires?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-16-21, 07:08 AM
777funk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

i have a bunch of old road bikes with rotting/flaking gumwalls on them. Is there a good way to find tires for a little less? Seems like the cheapest I see on ebay is $20 shipped. I'd like to buy 5-10 at a little less if possible. It's adding up to retread these old bikes.
Old 10-16-21, 07:14 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 84 Trek 520, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 65 Posts
That's about as cheap as they get; here are quality 27" for that price. (20% off if new customer) My stash of $6 Nashbar 27's has run out.
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...-4-tire?sg=500
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...thread-12.html
Old 10-16-21, 02:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 3348 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
i have a bunch of old road bikes with rotting/flaking gumwalls on them. Is there a good way to find tires for a little less? Seems like the cheapest I see on ebay is $20 shipped. I'd like to buy 5-10 at a little less if possible. It's adding up to retread these old bikes.
Are they all regular riders? No sense in buying new tires for a bike you're just going to hang up again.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-16-21, 02:28 PM
777funk

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
Are they all regular riders? No sense in buying new tires for a bike you're just going to hang up again.
It just happens that my favorite of them has one bad tire. But I'd like to keep a couple extra on hand for down the road.

And... I have 2 or 3 bikes I really like. Thus WANTing to keep them in the rotation. NEED? only one and maybe one spare for guests. But... family members etc. Good to have parts and spare tires on hand.
Old 10-17-21, 10:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 1,101 Posts
Doesn't sound like you really like them. If you are looking at bottom of the barrel tires. I wouldn't be cheap tires on a bike I actually wish to ride often, cheap tires are there as quick stop gap or for a complete emergency not on a bike I like. I want a good ride and tires are a massive part of that.
Old 10-18-21, 04:21 AM
777funk

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Doesn't sound like you really like them. If you are looking at bottom of the barrel tires. I wouldn't be cheap tires on a bike I actually wish to ride often, cheap tires are there as quick stop gap or for a complete emergency not on a bike I like. I want a good ride and tires are a massive part of that.
I guess I don't know better enough to know a difference. All my bike tires are around $20 (CST, other brands I don't know) and the existing good tire on that bike is a Bell and all ride just fine (for me). The bad tire has a rotting gum wall. I do know enough to know this is a problem (innertube is starting to have a hernia).
Old 10-18-21, 05:47 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,520 Times in 800 Posts
Good tires make a noticeable difference in ride quality. At 27", your choices are more limited. I have enjoyed Panaracer Pasela road tires for number of years. The tour guard (TG) variant, or whatever designation is may have now, doesn't feel much less lively. The problem is the pliable sidewall which cuts easily, ruining the tire.

AliExpress has CST or equivalent 27 x 1 1/4 tires at ~$17.50 to ~18.50 delivered, but you'll have to wait for 90 days give or take.
Old 10-18-21, 05:55 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
I don't see why folks don't check their local bike shop. My LBS has 27" CSTs for $18 per tire or a little less than the poster has found on the internet.
Old 10-21-21, 08:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 1,101 Posts
Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
I guess I don't know better enough to know a difference. All my bike tires are around $20 (CST, other brands I don't know) and the existing good tire on that bike is a Bell and all ride just fine (for me). The bad tire has a rotting gum wall. I do know enough to know this is a problem (innertube is starting to have a hernia).
Good tires will make a huge difference in the ride of a bike. That is the whole reason for nicer tires. They may be more supple or maybe more puncture protectant and might also have great grip or certain other features. Bell is a helmet maker primarily I think the stuff found in Wally-Mart is probably branded product to give them illusion of some quality. Certainly in an emergency if I need a tire and am nowhere near a bike shop or for some reason that bike shop is out of any tire that will work and I need to get moving I would buy as a stop gap but I would much rather have a quality tire.

Schwalbe, Continental, Panaracer and Vittoria all make quality tires in 27" and probably most of them are going to be puncture protection oriented they will be much better rubber than the low end stuff.
Old 10-21-21, 10:39 PM
SurferRosa
Señor Member

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,342 Posts
Originally Posted by ARider2 View Post
I don't see why folks don't check their local bike shop. My LBS has 27" CSTs for $18 per tire.
I'd rather pay $10 more per tire and get one online that I actually enjoy riding [Panaracer Pasela].