Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mavic Ksyrium Elite

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mavic Ksyrium Elite

Old 11-28-21, 07:10 AM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Mavic Ksyrium Elite

Hello, I was going to order Shimano Ultegra RS-500 wheels. However, I learned that the valve stem core on those wheels is not removable. I am now looking at getting a Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST wheelset. I just wanted to double check that these wheels have a removable valve stem core before I buy them. Thanks!
Old 11-28-21, 08:12 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Valve stems are not something specific to wheels, so should not be a factor in your purchase decision.

Valves, and whether their cores are removable, are either to do with the innertube, or if you’re running tubeless, a totally separate and individually changeable component.

So, even if the Mavic wheels include stems without removeable cores— which they probably don’t— you can easily and inexpensively buy a pair of removeable core valves and use them for your tubeless setup.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-28-21, 04:38 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Buy the Shimano wheels and replace the entire valve with aftermarket valves w/ removeable cores.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-28-21, 04:39 PM
AMoney

Originally Posted by chaadster
Valve stems are not something specific to wheels, so should not be a factor in your purchase decision.

Valves, and whether their cores are removable, are either to do with the innertube, or if you’re running tubeless, a totally separate and individually changeable component.

So, even if the Mavic wheels include stems without removeable cores— which they probably don’t— you can easily and inexpensively buy a pair of removeable core valves and use them for your tubeless setup.
My original plan was to get the Ultegra 500 wheels. However, I've read that they don't have the removable core. Some people have said that this makes it harder to install the tubeless sealant. My plan is to run my wheels tubeless. I'd like to learn how to install the sealant myself. For a beginner, how important is having a stem with a removable core in terms of installing tubeless sealant?
Old 11-28-21, 04:43 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by AMoney
My original plan was to get the Ultegra 500 wheels. However, I've read that they don't have the removable core. Some people have said that this makes it harder to install the tubeless sealant. My plan is to run my wheels tubeless. I'd like to learn how to install the sealant myself. For a beginner, how important is having a stem with a removable core in terms of installing tubeless sealant?
Read my previous post. Yes, being able to remove the core is important...the valves are not specific to any model of wheel. Shimano valves do not have removeable cores but nearly every other valve does. Just buy some good valves and move on.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-28-21, 04:44 PM
AMoney

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Buy the Shimano wheels and replace the entire valve with aftermarket valves w/ removeable cores.
I didn't see this post until after I replied to the other post. I didn't know I could do that. I think I will go ahead and do that.
Old 11-28-21, 05:16 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by AMoney
Having removeable valve cores is moderately important for a beginner, but not necessary. One can add sealant to the tire before popping on the last section of tire bead. It’s a bit trickier than adding sealant through the valve stem after fully seating the tire, but totally do-able. The big benefit of removeable cores comes when you want to top up sealant, because it’s a lot easier to fill through the stem, which can be done with the wheel on the bike, than it is to remove the wheel and partially unseat the tire.

For what it costs and the ease-of-use, it’s best just to get valve stems with removeable cores from the get-go.

I’d be surprised if any tubeless wheelset shipped with valves with non-removeable cores.

EDIT: As an aside (since you didn’t ask), I’d certainly get the Mavic Ksyrium Elite over the Shimano RS500 not only because they’re both wider internally and lighter, but also because the UST spec is easier to set up tubeless and the Mavics are supplied with good tires included.

Last edited by chaadster; 11-28-21 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-29-21, 05:51 PM
AMoney

Originally Posted by chaadster
Having removeable valve cores is moderately important for a beginner, but not necessary. One can add sealant to the tire before popping on the last section of tire bead. It’s a bit trickier than adding sealant through the valve stem after fully seating the tire, but totally do-able. The big benefit of removeable cores comes when you want to top up sealant, because it’s a lot easier to fill through the stem, which can be done with the wheel on the bike, than it is to remove the wheel and partially unseat the tire.

For what it costs and the ease-of-use, it’s best just to get valve stems with removeable cores from the get-go.

I’d be surprised if any tubeless wheelset shipped with valves with non-removeable cores.

EDIT: As an aside (since you didn’t ask), I’d certainly get the Mavic Ksyrium Elite over the Shimano RS500 not only because they’re both wider internally and lighter, but also because the UST spec is easier to set up tubeless and the Mavics are supplied with good tires included.
Thanks for the information. I went ahead with getting the Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset.
Likes For AMoney: