Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

The Age 40+ Singlespeed & Fixed Gear Thread

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

The Age 40+ Singlespeed & Fixed Gear Thread

Old 10-03-23, 08:22 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 166 Posts
Last night a couple 19 tooth 1/8" track cogs arrived in the mail. I went downstairs, stuck the Rudge Clubman in the stand, took off the rear wheel and mounted the cog, snugged it down, then the lockring.
I took a ~14 mile ride this evening on the Clubman as a fixed gear.
Lately I have been having these moments of near-childish joy from riding, or grabbing my Pentax MX with 50mm lens, or picking up a live cicada. It was a blast to ride the Clubman as a fixed gear. I haven't ridden a fixed gear for myself since 2009. This is actually the most I've ridden the Clubman, even more than with the 16/20 freewheel. It's like rediscovering a bit of the real fun of riding. This bike has me so connected; the gear ratio is good, the chain slack is just enough to allow smooth rotation, but also perfect for track standing. I did a good minute trackstand waiting for a traffic light to turn on my way to the Schuylkill path. It's just so much fun. My legs feel a little more like noodles than they usually do, but that's good. Knees don't hurt, everything feels good.
Here's a photo of the Rudge Clubman just before East Falls.

https://gallery.leica-users.org/d/545...031023Ride.JPG
Old 10-10-23, 08:45 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts
I’m 72 , my bike riding started when I was probably around 12 and I dragged home an old three speed “English” bike someone had thrown out in the trash.
I managed to get it to work as a single speed . I never owned a new bike until I was in my early thirties and bought a cheap department store bike , to ride with my daughter , but it didn’t last long and my interest changed.
In my mid fifties I bought an old Schwinn Heavy Duty at a yard sale and my love of riding regularly grew along with my love of single speeds .
I’ve gone back forth between single and geared bikes with my interest in single speeds taking over .
I just recently converted my Schwinn CrossCut and CrossCross , along with a Trek MultiTrack.
And my Specilized Hardrock .
Never tried FG but thought about it . I have a frame or two laying around and a couple of flip flop hubs , so who knows .
Is 72 too late to start FG ?
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 10-10-23, 09:10 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
My first brief dabble with SS was in the ‘70s. I got a new Azuki “10 speed” in 1975, a 23” frame. In a a couple years it seemed small and I got a nicer 25” frame. I turned the Azuki into a single speed. I only used it on shorter, around town rides and eventually I gave it away.

I didn’t get back to single speed until about five years ago. Since then, I’ve had two bikes, a road frame and an MTB frame and both have been set up single speed for more than three of those years.

I’ve put gears back on briefly for two intervals, but riding an actual single speed just seems to make me happier.

One thing I’ve gone back and forth on is gearing. Lots of time as 42/16, but sometimes I switch to 42/17. I tend to prefer to push a little harder than some, but I started running regularly again a year ago. I seem to manage the overall load of cycling and running if I use the 42/17. Also, when the leaves drop, the wind is more of a challenge on windy rides and the lower 65 inch gear is easier to stay on top of.

Otto
Old 10-10-23, 11:21 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by OldCruiser
I’m 72 , my bike riding started when I was probably around 12 and I dragged home an old three speed “English” bike someone had thrown out in the trash.
I managed to get it to work as a single speed . I never owned a new bike until I was in my early thirties and bought a cheap department store bike , to ride with my daughter , but it didn’t last long and my interest changed.
In my mid fifties I bought an old Schwinn Heavy Duty at a yard sale and my love of riding regularly grew along with my love of single speeds .
I’ve gone back forth between single and geared bikes with my interest in single speeds taking over .
I just recently converted my Schwinn CrossCut and CrossCross , along with a Trek MultiTrack.
And my Specilized Hardrock .
Never tried FG but thought about it . I have a frame or two laying around and a couple of flip flop hubs , so who knows .
Is 72 too late to start FG ?
No. Do it. It takes a little getting used to, but fun once you're over the learning curve.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-11-23, 08:17 AM
highandlowrpm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Finding the right gearing

Originally Posted by ofajen
My first brief dabble with SS was in the ‘70s. I got a new Azuki “10 speed” in 1975, a 23” frame. In a a couple years it seemed small and I got a nicer 25” frame. I turned the Azuki into a single speed. I only used it on shorter, around town rides and eventually I gave it away.

I didn’t get back to single speed until about five years ago. Since then, I’ve had two bikes, a road frame and an MTB frame and both have been set up single speed for more than three of those years.

I’ve put gears back on briefly for two intervals, but riding an actual single speed just seems to make me happier.

One thing I’ve gone back and forth on is gearing. Lots of time as 42/16, but sometimes I switch to 42/17. I tend to prefer to push a little harder than some, but I started running regularly again a year ago. I seem to manage the overall load of cycling and running if I use the 42/17. Also, when the leaves drop, the wind is more of a challenge on windy rides and the lower 65 inch gear is easier to stay on top of.

Otto
I highly recommend the white industries dos eno dual freewheel, for on the road manual gearing changes. You do have to convert from track 1/8” to 3/32” chainring and chain, but it’s great. I have the 17/19 and 20/22 tooth combos. Important to size the chain just right, so it will cover either rear wheel cog in the dropout space available. And locate the rear rim brake pads vertically just right for both cogs. With a 50t upfront and 17/19, I have either 79 or 70 gear inches available on my ride.

For a recent 50 mile club ride, used 47x17 for the first 20 mile flattish section, and swapped over to the 47x19 at a regroup for the next 20 mile hilly section, but eventually got dropped by the group. Can only go so far keeping up with the geared up, fully kitted and aero bunch :/ Save the 42t up front, for the mountains and major hill climbs.

Last edited by highandlowrpm; 10-11-23 at 11:47 AM.
Likes For highandlowrpm:
Old 10-11-23, 03:45 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by highandlowrpm
I highly recommend the white industries dos eno dual freewheel, for on the road manual gearing changes. You do have to convert from track 1/8” to 3/32” chainring and chain, but it’s great. I have the 17/19 and 20/22 tooth combos. Important to size the chain just right, so it will cover either rear wheel cog in the dropout space available. And locate the rear rim brake pads vertically just right for both cogs. With a 50t upfront and 17/19, I have either 79 or 70 gear inches available on my ride.

For a recent 50 mile club ride, used 47x17 for the first 20 mile flattish section, and swapped over to the 47x19 at a regroup for the next 20 mile hilly section, but eventually got dropped by the group. Can only go so far keeping up with the geared up, fully kitted and aero bunch :/ Save the 42t up front, for the mountains and major hill climbs.
I’m sure that works great for people who ride roads and do group rides. I ride solo rides nearly year-round almost entirely on our various trails (except brief bits on roads to reach the trails). So there is no drafting, I do all the work and something around 65-70 inches works well on level ground and is tolerable on hills.

If I started to do rougher trails, I could see running 42/39 front and 17/20 in back. 42/17 for easy surfaces and 39/20 for single track. The MTB is freehub, so putting two cogs on is trivial.

Thanks!

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-11-23, 04:03 PM
highandlowrpm

Yes, trails/mtb are completely different

Originally Posted by ofajen
I’m sure that works great for people who ride roads and do group rides. I ride solo rides nearly year-round almost entirely on our various trails (except brief bits on roads to reach the trails). So there is no drafting, I do all the work and something around 65-70 inches works well on level ground and is tolerable on hills.

If I started to do rougher trails, I could see running 42/39 front and 17/20 in back. 42/17 for easy surfaces and 39/20 for single track. The MTB is freehub, so putting two cogs on is trivial.

Thanks!

Otto
Very true. Trails/MTB riding is completely different from road riding. I’m addicted to the speed of roads, but understand the attraction of trail riding. No longer have that bike anymore, after a few too many scrapes on rides with friends. Seems like at least one person got bloodied on every ride :-/
Old 10-11-23, 07:23 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by highandlowrpm
Very true. Trails/MTB riding is completely different from road riding. I’m addicted to the speed of roads, but understand the attraction of trail riding. No longer have that bike anymore, after a few too many scrapes on rides with friends. Seems like at least one person got bloodied on every ride :-/
We have a high-quality MUP system with a state park trail that spans the state and lots of trails in and around town that are rather tame and very well used. I quit road riding thirty years ago when these trails emerged to avoid the inherent danger of cycling near cars. Haven’t really done any single track riding. Seems more likely to cause serious injury which I try to avoid.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-14-23, 03:39 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts
Fresh build

Finished putting this one together this morning.
Rode a four mile cruise around the neighborhood after the game .
Smooth riding , no name, light bike .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 01-16-24, 04:53 PM
cityjake

Bikes: cheap Schwinn Regent (fixed gear); 80's Miyata 310; 1963 Schwinn Typhoon klunker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bumping thread for the New Year...

mid-50's, back to bikes in general -- and fixed gear in particular -- this summer. Riding a bit this winter with studded tires -- mostly to and from the train. I had a Bianchi Pista about twenty years ago but traded it away during law school because no place to keep it in the high-rise we were living in.

Currently riding a crappy Schwinn Regent "track-ish" bike (track dropouts, anyway), running a nice easy 65 inch gear (46x19). Pulling the trigger soon an a Wabi Classic frameset to build into an all-rounder to try easy group rides (apparently lots of that on Chicago's North Shore), randonneur, and maybe a gravel race in MN this summer. Good times!

I'd forgotten how awesome riding fixed gear was...
Old 01-16-24, 05:40 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by cityjake

mid-50's, back to bikes in general -- and fixed gear in particular -- this summer. Riding a bit this winter with studded tires -- mostly to and from the train. I had a Bianchi Pista about twenty years ago but traded it away during law school because no place to keep it in the high-rise we were living in.

Currently riding a crappy Schwinn Regent "track-ish" bike (track dropouts, anyway), running a nice easy 65 inch gear (46x19). Pulling the trigger soon an a Wabi Classic frameset to build into an all-rounder to try easy group rides (apparently lots of that on Chicago's North Shore), randonneur, and maybe a gravel race in MN this summer. Good times!

Welcome back (to bikes). I'm new to fixed gear riding and enjoying it; mostly commuting but doing a bit of randonneuring. It's a hoot.

Cheers
Old 01-16-24, 07:04 PM
highandlowrpm

Originally Posted by cityjake

Welcome back! Not fixed, but I’ve been riding single speed for a year so far, and it really is awesome. Doing road group rides, usually 50+ miles. Great, except when spinning 100+ rpm and over 25 mph on the flats when I get dropped due to gearing.
Old 01-16-24, 10:06 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Haven't previously seen this thread, I hopped on the SS bandwagon by converting an old horizontal road bike to a SS in 2022 for the cross season, only managed to do one race on it, and despite 3x having to stop to reposition the wheel after ripping it out of place, my time was better than the year prior which had me hooked. i particularly like riding it with the kids, they're getting faster but using the SS helps to level the playing field for them so some extent. For 2023 the wife and kids bought me the motobecane UNO for father's day. The thing was a bit of a beast and weighed about 30lbs. The plastic pedal survived 3 miles before tearing apart, replaced them with platforms for riding with the kids but tossed on some old ritchey spd style for racing in the fall. I rebuilt the wheels with some pub carbon rims and butted spokes for a 4lb weight savings and for 2024 would like to find a carbon fork to ditch the beast of a steel fork it comes with and install some trp hylex hydraulic disc brakes. I used it to race cross nationals in Louisville in december and placed 70th out of 74, not bad for racing with the flu and being too sick to remember to bring the dry condition tires that I should have been running. I like to think without the flu and with the right tires I could have placed in 62nd which was my placement based on national rankings but really the best I think i could have done was about 67th/68th. Either way, heading back next year to try for a better result, it was too much fun.