Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Interacting with Traffic

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Interacting with Traffic

Old 10-06-22, 10:43 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 188 Posts
I too get a bit frustrated with drivers who yield when they have the right of way. It basically just confuses the situation. I certainly roll many stop signs. I'll see a car pull up well before me at a 4-way stop, and they could clearly get through the intersection before I even get there. So, no danger even if I didn't even slow down. But they don't proceed when they should. I of course then have to stop as well because they have the right of way, having gotten there well before me. And of course, I don't really know that they are yielding to me. They could just be looking at their phone or car radio. If they had just proceeded normally, they would have been past and I could have slow rolled the stop sign and not have to put a foot down.

I can also appreciate that some drivers may have experience with cyclists who ride as if trying to commit suicide. I occasional see a few. The types that blow stops signs at a speed and situation that it is only luck that a car wasn't coming along.

I also agree that in general, cyclist are much less common in most areas than cars. So, most drivers just don't have experience with cyclists and many cyclist are rather unpredictable. So the drivers just stop and let the cyclist get the hell out of the way. It's hard to argue against that logic.

However, as much as this can be frustrating, I much prefer the overly cautious driver to the opposite.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 10-15-22, 08:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,576 Times in 2,894 Posts
I was waiting to cross a street posted at 35 MPH with cars wizzing by. One car spots me waiting and just stops. The guy behind him was not expecting anyone to just stop in a through lane and plowed right into the nice person. No good deed goes unpunished.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-16-22, 04:19 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
this red car sat there till we were half way across then decided to go. I dont know if there is a no turn on red there or not we had the crosswalk light too. but if not what was he waiting for then?
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-16-22, 05:05 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 188 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
this red car sat there till we were half way across then decided to go. I dont know if there is a no turn on red there or not we had the crosswalk light too. but if not what was he waiting for then?
I'm would guess they were looking to their left for oncoming traffic to make a right turn on red and paying no attention to anything that might be coming from your direction.

I know in my state (New Mexico) pedestrians have the right of way in crosswalks at all times EXCEPT when the crosswalks are at intersections with lights. In that case the pedestrian only has the right of way if they have a walk signal or the light is green for them. Though I'm never quite sure where bikes fit in in the pedestrian-crosswalk thing. Of course, I can't think of anything that gives someone turning right on red the right of way over anyone else, ever.

I see cars doing the right on red all the time that seem to think it just means they have to stop. Not that they then have to yield to anyone. And 80% of the time, the stop over the crosswalk that goes across in front of them. I see pedestrians cutoff crossing at crosswalks all the time. The cars stop, look for oncoming traffic, but not for people in the crosswalks. I chalk it up to what we all suffer from, and that is complacency due to getting used to the most likely situations. We sort of drive on autopilot only looking for the things that we typically need to be concerned with.

Ideally we should all be fully aware and actively looking all the time driving. But the reality is we don't. Being a cyclist, I try to make an effort to specifically look for cyclists. But I think most of us have our minds on other things while driving and it's easy to overlook something coming from an unexpected direction. This is one reason I use a flashing daytime light. I'll even make a point to turn my handle bars to make sure my light passes across the line of sight of a car in this type of situation. No idea if it has ever made a difference.

Also, I'm wondering if the phrase "Jesus F-ing Christ, a-hole" is some sort of instinctual thing to say in these situations. I know it's my go-to phrase.
Old 10-16-22, 05:29 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
if they were looking left they would have saw is. Plus I have a very bright light so it would be shining in their eyes. locally you can do right on red as long as you stop unless labeled otherwise. this was jsut odd for me never had that happen.anymore I dont have to many issues with cars. yes we both had some choice words my blind wife on back of the tandem even sawthe car.
Old 10-16-22, 07:47 PM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
I'd bet whoever was looking at the phone.
Likes For Gyro:
Old 10-16-22, 08:16 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,576 Times in 2,894 Posts
I always ride with and in the direction of traffic, so what happens to you won’t happen to me. I would never consider crossing against as you did. Was the driver wrong? Absolutely yes. Were you wrong? Technically no, but going with the flow would have decreased the likelihood of the event happening. Ride safely.

Old 10-18-22, 05:18 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Had a new one the other day. Sitting at a red light on the left side of the lane waiting to turn left where typically about 60% of the opposing traffic is trying to turn left, too, so that actually tends to work out well for me (but cars almost never turn where I'm going, it's just a stub of a street leading to the trail trail)

Light goes green and opposing car coming up the hill won't move.

I sternly wait them out.

Finally they move - specifically they turn left without signaling (and I take advantage of the fact that the car behind them is signalling, so that driver and I both turn left)

Finally realized that one of problem car's front corner amber lights was out - I'm guessing they actually had attempted to put their turn signal on, but the bulb was burned out.
Old 10-19-22, 02:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
The worst is when there is more than one lane and they freeze in a place where they screen your view of the other lane. There's absolutely no way I'm going anywhere as long as they're in that position. It's really a good way to get killed.
Likes For livedarklions: