Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Road Rage

Old 08-26-22, 06:07 AM
Geergirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Bike lanes really need to have physical separation right up to where the pedestrian crosswalk starts. And then barriers in the intersection to force drivers into making wide turns. Keeping their cars from getting scratched will make drivers pay attention.
I much prefer fully separate bike lanes but infrastructure here is very ad hoc. Outside of the rich areas bike lanes are squished in wherever/however.
Old 08-27-22, 06:27 AM
Apetimberlake

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I have witnessed this more the once and to be honest of someone wants to throw down, that's fine as they will fight me and my claw hammer I keep in my bag.
Old 08-27-22, 09:51 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I wonder if Sellerz would have repeatedly slapped the car if it was driven by a 250 pound male weight lifter/WWE fighter instead of a woman? I don't understand this kind of confrontive behavior. In my opinion, it is likely to facilitate driver anger and disrespect towards cyclists thus increasing the hazards for all other bike riders. You aren't "teaching the driver a lesson."

Apetimerlake, I think you have too much confidence in your claw hammer. Someone or several someones make take it away from you and insert it where you don't want it.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 08-30-22, 05:46 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2643 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
I wonder if Sellerz would have repeatedly slapped the car if it was driven by a 250 pound male weight lifter/WWE fighter instead of a woman? I don't understand this kind of confrontive behavior. In my opinion, it is likely to facilitate driver anger and disrespect towards cyclists thus increasing the hazards for all other bike riders. You aren't "teaching the driver a lesson."

Apetimerlake, I think you have too much confidence in your claw hammer. Someone or several someones make take it away from you and insert it where you don't want it.
Yeah guys slapping a car a couple times and then gesturing at the driver before riding off is not dangerous or threatening. If it was a huge dude who started screaming at me id just match that energy (im 6’3 270 but cannot fight, all bark no bite.) literally the only thing they could do is make a split second choice to shoot me with a gun, but by the time they roll down their window im already on my way.

also im willing to take the chance that someone isnt going to shoot me over a minor traffic incident/road rage. When people get shot during road rage they are probably both getting out of their car to fight. The worst thing i would do is damage a vehicle, if he got out of the car id flee
Old 08-30-22, 07:46 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Yeah guys slapping a car a couple times and then gesturing at the driver before riding off is not dangerous or threatening.
YOU say it isn't threatening or dangerous, but but you don't get to decide what other people think, especially in the heat of the moment when adrenaline is rushing and you're acting unpredictably.
Analogy: Let's suppose you live in a state that doesn't require a minimum passing distance when a motor vehicle overtakes you. One day a motorist buzzes you, and you catch up to them at the next light and tell them to give you more room. They start arguing with you and claim they gave you plenty of space. This is a common scenario among cyclists, and in it the motorist is unilaterally defining what is safe for another person. If you think that's wrong, then you should retract your comment about the threatening/dangerous nature of slapping someone's car.

Don't unnecessarily escalate.

If it was a huge dude who started screaming at me id just match that energy (im 6’3 270 but cannot fight, all bark no bite.) literally the only thing they could do is make a split second choice to shoot me with a gun,
In my martial arts dojo I often sparred with guys much bigger than me, including men your size. You're only dangerous IF you can land a hit (key word "if"). As the saying goes, big trees fall hard.

but by the time they roll down their window im already on my way.
Today I learned you can outrun a motor vehicle on a bicycle.

also im willing to take the chance that someone isnt going to shoot me over a minor traffic incident/road rage.
If you say so.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/...ck/7926501001/
https://www.wtkr.com/news/partner-fr...forgive-killer
https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022...on-police-say/
https://www.kmbc.com/article/devoted...oting/40935424
https://cbs12.com/news/local/woman-a...-nissan-altima
https://www.jacksoncountyprosecutor....s.aspx?AID=975
https://www.uticaod.com/story/news/2...n/65462436007/

That was just the first page of results when I searched "road rage shooting".
Old 08-30-22, 08:26 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas

Today I learned you can outrun a motor vehicle on a bicycle.
I think he also implied that he can outrun a bullet.
Old 11-07-22, 07:35 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
just ride!
gm
Old 11-08-22, 08:17 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I followed him to where he parked and made fun of him when he dropped his keys as he got out of the car. Told him it was karma.
I bet that just totally ruined his day.