Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Panaracer Tour tires out of round

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-10-22, 01:38 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts

I bought a 700x35 wire bead tire from the big river outfit. Fortunately I used it before the 30 day return deadline. It was 1/8” out of round once installed/inflated. Very noticeable above 15 mph.

I asked for exchange and the replacement they sent had the same issue.

I’ve never had this before. Lessons learned:

1. Test upon delivery.

2. Don’t throw away the box; you need it if you have to return the tire.

And BFers: Don’t buy these now; a bad batch got loose.

Limping along now waiting on a Schwalb:

Worn but round.

Last edited by flangehead; 11-10-22 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 11-10-22, 07:20 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I bought a set of Panaracer Paselas from a "verified" bike shop seller on eBay. One of the tires didn't spin very true and the eBay seller told me to pound sand claiming that, since I installed them myself, all warranties are null and void. So I contacted Panaracer directly. They were very friendly, professional, and sent me a pair of replacement tires on their dime. Based on that excellent customer service, I'll buy from Panaracer again.

flangehead have you tried calling or writing Panaracer? They may surprise you.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 11-10-22, 09:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
All I'm seeing in the picture is what appears to be a skid patch. However I wouldn't expect to see one on a front tire. And I've never seen a tire that had a different color underneath the tread.

However, I guess we'll take your word that the tire was out of round. Or do your really mean that the tire had bumps in the tread layer?

Last edited by Iride01; 11-10-22 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-10-22, 10:07 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Don't give up on Panaracer because of this batch of tires. I've been using Paselas (all sizes 700 X 23-38, both wired and folding though mostly wired and with and without flat guards since the '00s. Yes, every once in a while, a QC issue gets through and that may affect all of that model a shop has. (I'm guessing that their production is so big and streamlined that a lot of tires get out before an issue is detected.) But, if my experience is at all typical, that is not often. The idea that I would have try on a new Panaracer purchase "just in case" would never cross my mind (unless I had just hit one of those rare QC tires).

I limit my tire purchases to Panaracer and Vittoria anytime I have a choice in part because they are so reliable at providing tires without surprises. I may remember that one of my bike's tires are getting old when I'm at a shop and buy new ones. Don't ride that bike for a year. "Oh yeah." Mount that new ones that have been collecting dust.
Old 11-10-22, 10:21 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Some brands/models of tires do have a breaker belt molded into the casing that are not black in color. I have thought these belts are a plastic of sorts. Some Schwalbes have a green belt, as example.

We have seen an increase of lumpy tires in the last couple of years. The challenges of meeting production demands played against the C19 thing have really pushed the QC at many factories. Glad to see the brand backed up their product even if the seller didn't. This is one reason why some sellers like the mail order/interweb distribution, their returns are fewer. This is why some buyers like the LBS as they can show the sales people, in person, the part that isn't up to standards. Andy
Old 11-10-22, 10:51 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Some brands/models of tires do have a breaker belt molded into the casing that are not black in color. I have thought these belts are a plastic of sorts. Some Schwalbes have a green belt, as example.
Continental Super Sports are another such tire. Like the photo above, they have a tan/brown anti-puncture belt below the tread.

Dunno what that belt is made of, but it certainly works pretty well; they're great for puncture protection. I've had two flats with them; both were rear flats from nails I never saw that were probably "set up" by the front tire (I think at least one of them would have likely flatted my car's tire).

They're decidedly not low-rolling-resistance tires. But I'd rather go a touch slower than do a roadside tube change.
Old 11-10-22, 11:23 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Originally Posted by Iride01
All I'm seeing in the picture is what appears to be a skid patch. However I wouldn't expect to see one on a front tire. And I've never seen a tire that had a different color underneath the tread.

However, I guess we'll take your word that the tire was out of round. Or do your really mean that the tire had bumps in the tread layer?
I was not clear. The picture is of my old tire, which I believe was a Schwalb Marathon that came off the back. This is on my commuter and I run fenders so things can get a bit out of hand... this tire flatted with a heavy staple ... I'd had a long run of good luck so I'd gotten a bit thin on the tread as you can see ... I had recently bought the Panaracer so I rotated tires and put the new Panaracer on the front... that's when out-of-round raised it's head... so I fished the old tire out of the garbage, wiped off the dog **** and put it back on.

I've normally used Panaracer in the past with no problems, and I suspect a bad batch could get through from any manufacturer. I'm not picky ... reasonably priced and reasonably durable works for me.

I do like to have a spare on the shelf on Sunday night in case I get irreparable damage so I can get to work on Monday ... that's why I posted .. though rare, defective tires can make it through.

I had not considered contacting Panaracer and good to hear they have good service. Makes me breath a little easier if I buy on-line and then miss the return policy deadline...

Thanks!
Old 11-10-22, 04:15 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
I bought a 700x35 wire bead tire from the big river outfit. Fortunately I used it before the 30 day return deadline. It was 1/8” out of round once installed/inflated. Very noticeable above 15 mph.

I asked for exchange and the replacement they sent had the same issue.

I’ve never had this before. Lessons learned:

1. Test upon delivery.

2. Don’t throw away the box; you need it if you have to return the tire.

And BFers: Don’t buy these now; a bad batch got loose.

Limping along now waiting on a Schwalb:
I have to ask: are you sure the tire was fully seated on the rim? Could you see that the small ridge typically molded into the sidewall just above the bead was indeed uniform all the way around as you spun the wheel?
Old 11-10-22, 07:33 PM
flangehead

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
I have to ask: are you sure the tire was fully seated on the rim? Could you see that the small ridge typically molded into the sidewall just above the bead was indeed uniform all the way around as you spun the wheel?
Yes fully seated.
Old 11-11-22, 05:52 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
One trick I've used with good success is to inflate the out-of-round tires to stupid-low pressures, and take them for a half hour ride on the smoothest MUP you've got. When you get home, pump them up to stupid-high pressures and let 'em sit for a few days.

When you drop them back down to working pressure, you'll find a much straighter tire than you started with.

--Shannon

(I learned this trick on garbage training sewups back in the 80s.)
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 11-11-22, 06:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
If the tires are truly defective from the manufacturer and you purchased said tire from an authorized dealer (in this case Panaracer) then they or you should be able to file a claim on the tire. I haven't had to file anything through Panaracer but generally most folks want a picture any sort of date codes or serial numbers and a proof of purchase. Have all of that and you are set and if there is a past history with the tire even better. If it was installed at the shop you bought it from even better but if not you should still try to file a claim.

If you purchased the tire from someone random who is not an authorized dealer then well you get what you didn't pay for. Warranty is nothing till you really need it and not having it can be quite bad. Had a customer come in get a lot of info on the bike he wanted and then bought it from an unauthorized seller instead of us. Of course he being in our area came to us for warranty support both the manufacturer of the bike and the manufacturer of the part that was non-functional of course denied warranty and he ended up having to pay an extra $1000 out of his own pocket. That means he saved maybe $500 or something initially to then go ahead and spend that $500 twice when he could have gotten it through us and not had issues and he would have had warranty.
Old 11-14-22, 02:29 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Without seeing the tire to know for sure, but it looks like that tire at one time was on the rear, and someone skidded really hard on that one area. But taking your word on it, my question is why didn't you immediately stop riding on it the minute you knew the tire was out of round right after you first put it on?

I agree with others, especially since I've owned two different models of Panaracer tires, they are indeed great tires. One of the pair of tires I still have was purchased in 2013, those were Stratus Sport tires, they came on a bike I bought, I then moved them to my commuter bike, and now my grandson rides it, same tires, no cracks, and they might only be half worn, but they haven't been ridden that much, maybe 1,200 miles as a guess. Another Panaracer set I bought was Pasela TourGuard Plus folding that had the amber colored sidewalls, I used those on my touring bike for a couple of years, they wore like iron, and they didn't cost a lot. Never had any problems with any of those tires.

If the mile are really low on those tires I think Panaracer will do you right, but again, I can't see the tire in person to know exactly what happened to it, it sort of looks odd that would happen. Even if the tires are 45 days old and were out of round, I can't imagine the tire wearing like that, especially those; but if there was a bad batch Panarace would know about it and take care of you.