Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Old 09-30-22, 12:43 AM
  #4676  
muse kidd
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wales
Posts: 40

Bikes: 1979 Trek 412, 2011 Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Lathe View Post

I think the Old French builders would call that a decaleur. I am not French, and the bike is not a French style bike, but I guess decaleur is still a good name for it. The bag is an Ortlieb and it clicks onto an Ortlieb handlebar mount that has had part of it removed so it can bolt to a plate on the decaleur. The front rack has a flat frame on top that I never used in thirteen years so I decided to move the bag down and use it. It cleans up the handlebars. The frame is 60.5 cm.
Nice job. That decaleur is an unusual bit of kit and makes a big improvement over the factory mount for the Ortlieb handlebar bag. (I've never cared for how high they sit.) I appreciate a little custom modification on a bike... gives the bike character, as well as insight into the rider!. Thanks for the reply and photo. Cheers!
muse kidd is offline  
Likes For muse kidd:
Old 10-01-22, 02:48 AM
  #4677  
Miele Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,653

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked 917 Times in 633 Posts
I don't think that I've posted these images here yet.

This is my old BIANCHI MTB back in the 1980s on a two weeks long trip on logging/mining roads near Matachewan, Ontario, Canada. Total load including food was forty pounds. I carried a Coleman Naphtha fueled single-burner stove and a small Coleman Naphtha fueled lantern. The stove fit inside my two cooking pots one of which worked as a top for the stove when stored. A section of blue sleeping pad foam was placed around the inside of the opts and the stove rested in that and was well protected. Fuel was carried in alloy bottles that were kept in the rear pockets of the rear panniers when the fuel wasn't needed.



This is the a GOOD surface section of a road. LOL


Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 10-01-22, 02:54 AM
  #4678  
Miele Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,653

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked 917 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Lathe View Post

I think the Old French builders would call that a decaleur. I am not French, and the bike is not a French style bike, but I guess decaleur is still a good name for it. The bag is an Ortlieb and it clicks onto an Ortlieb handlebar mount that has had part of it removed so it can bolt to a plate on the decaleur. The front rack has a flat frame on top that I never used in thirteen years so I decided to move the bag down and use it. It cleans up the handlebars. The frame is 60.5 cm.
is that an extremely tall stem? How much of it is inside the steerer tube?

I tried a swan stem like that on a drop-bar Bianchi MTB that I was using to tour logging/mining roads in Northern Ontario, Canada but found that the flex in the tall stem made control of the loaded bike quite difficult at any fast speed on those unpaved roads. I'm glad that the setup is working for you.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Old 10-01-22, 09:24 AM
  #4679  
Charles Lathe
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
is that an extremely tall stem? How much of it is inside the steerer tube?

I tried a swan stem like that on a drop-bar Bianchi MTB that I was using to tour logging/mining roads in Northern Ontario, Canada but found that the flex in the tall stem made control of the loaded bike quite difficult at any fast speed on those unpaved roads. I'm glad that the setup is working for you.

Cheers
That is a Nitto Pearl stem. There is a mark on the stem and everything below that should be buried in the steerer tube. Nitto makes stems that are much taller than the Pearl. Anyway I am very happy with the bike and have been for more than thirteen years.
Charles Lathe is offline  
Old 10-09-22, 11:59 PM
  #4680  
str
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Universe Spain
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 143 Posts
str is offline  
Likes For str:
Old 10-13-22, 09:50 PM
  #4681  
Imaginos
Newbie
 
Imaginos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Southeast Alaska
Posts: 69

Bikes: 1994 Raleigh MT200,2022 Windsor Tourist,2022 Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 39 Posts
Full mock-up with new bike.Ready to go for a night or two if I can get reasonable weather.

Imaginos is offline  
Likes For Imaginos:
Old 10-18-22, 02:47 AM
  #4682  
fks
Shoot Your Car
 
fks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Land Down Under
Posts: 127

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Roughest dirt road I have ever cycled
fks is offline  
Likes For fks:
Old 10-18-22, 07:41 AM
  #4683  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 12,589
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2491 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by fks View Post
Roughest dirt road I have ever cycled
that's quite a cool setup, rohlof and extracycle. Carrying a crapload of extra water and food and backup stuff for the situation. How wide are those tires-2.3- Smart Sams, Moto-X ? The widest Ive ridden on a "regular" bike is 2.5inches, but have a fatbike with 3.5-4in tires and ride on a lot of really soft rand ough surfaces with that, which is a really neat experience. I can really see how using a fatbike, or at least starting in the 3" range + would open up where you ride on without being killed by jolts--but you're always going to be slower.

On rough roads, if you tend to have any hand issues that those or wider tires can't help with, have you ever considered using bars like Jones bars or whatever that have a sweeping back angle? I sometimes ride on a set of Jones riser H bars and really find them to work pretty darn well on rough stuff, the wider stance is useful in slow sloggy situations, the angle back really agress with my wrists, and being able to move my hands all over the place gives a surprisingly good set of options for hand/back/neck change ups, and also for headwinds.

anyway, cool setup. Ive never done such remote touring, but it looks like you have a good setup for the conditions.
what frame is that?
cheers
djb is offline  
Old 10-18-22, 12:38 PM
  #4684  
fks
Shoot Your Car
 
fks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Land Down Under
Posts: 127

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djb View Post
that's quite a cool setup, rohlof and extracycle. Carrying a crapload of extra water and food and backup stuff for the situation. How wide are those tires-2.3- Smart Sams, Moto-X ? The widest Ive ridden on a "regular" bike is 2.5inches, but have a fatbike with 3.5-4in tires and ride on a lot of really soft rand ough surfaces with that, which is a really neat experience. I can really see how using a fatbike, or at least starting in the 3" range + would open up where you ride on without being killed by jolts--but you're always going to be slower.

On rough roads, if you tend to have any hand issues that those or wider tires can't help with, have you ever considered using bars like Jones bars or whatever that have a sweeping back angle? I sometimes ride on a set of Jones riser H bars and really find them to work pretty darn well on rough stuff, the wider stance is useful in slow sloggy situations, the angle back really agress with my wrists, and being able to move my hands all over the place gives a surprisingly good set of options for hand/back/neck change ups, and also for headwinds.

anyway, cool setup. Ive never done such remote touring, but it looks like you have a good setup for the conditions.
what frame is that?
cheers
Hi DJB
The Frame is a custom frame from BOBO Cycles, Tyres are Schwalbe Marathon 26 x 2.125, I have tried the Jones Bars,(had them on the bike for 2 years) but they were not for me. I have Ergon Grips on the bars and they were excellent for wrist support as are the bar-ends, old school I know but it works for me., I was carrying about 20 litres of water in the photo, most of it in the extrawheel along with 4 days of food.
fks is offline  
Old 10-18-22, 06:28 PM
  #4685  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 12,589
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2491 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by fks View Post
Hi DJB
The Frame is a custom frame from BOBO Cycles, Tyres are Schwalbe Marathon 26 x 2.125, I have tried the Jones Bars,(had them on the bike for 2 years) but they were not for me. I have Ergon Grips on the bars and they were excellent for wrist support as are the bar-ends, old school I know but it works for me., I was carrying about 20 litres of water in the photo, most of it in the extrawheel along with 4 days of food.
oh, I thought they look wider than 2.1's. I've not toured on the Jones bars yet, but I can see how a slightly less angle than their 45 or whatever they are could be good too. If you tried them for 2 years, heck thats ample of a tryout. I too have some ergon grips like yours, with bar ends, have them on my winter bike, and like them--but then again, I rode with old school bar ends going back 20 years or so and really like the hand position change they give.
wow, 20 litres, that's nothing to sneeze at, 20kgs extra.
Don't know how wide tires your Bobo can take, but wider can certainly be better for some conditions, and fatbikes are a real larf to ride. It still makes me laugh at what I can ride over sometimes, but mostly use it on snow in our Canadian winter.
cheers
djb is offline  
Old 11-21-22, 11:48 AM
  #4686  
M1T
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Carbondale (nicer than it sounds), Colorado
Posts: 84

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 24 Posts
SOMA Saga DC. DC stands for Disc or Cantilever brakes. I have cantilever up front, and disc in the back mainly due to the fact I already owned the non-disc version of a SON hub generator wheel. The cantilever seem like they're more for looks than for stopping though.
M1T is offline  
Likes For M1T:
Old 11-21-22, 11:55 AM
  #4687  
M1T
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Carbondale (nicer than it sounds), Colorado
Posts: 84

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 24 Posts
Bike Packing rig... Pivot Les Fat (Les as in Less, one of the designers, vs. "Lay" / french pronunciation). This is one versatile

bike. Light enough without all the extras needed for touring to be a mountain bike. Very nimble, but over built for touring where it needs to be.
M1T is offline  
Likes For M1T:
Old 11-25-22, 08:42 AM
  #4688  
mississippimud
Full Member
 
mississippimud's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 16 Posts
1999 Litespeed

mississippimud is offline  
Likes For mississippimud:
Old 11-27-22, 06:51 PM
  #4689  
M1T
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Carbondale (nicer than it sounds), Colorado
Posts: 84

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 24 Posts
Adding... the seat post is one of the neat / positive buys for this rig... Kinekt is a spring loaded seat post that actually does work. It takes a couple little adjustments to dial it in for your weight, etc., but it takes most of the vibration and small bumps out of the picture. I want to say it was from the makers / inventors of the Al-Soft (spelling is likely off) bike. Anyway, it works and I don't notice the slight amount of extra weight (I did notice the not-so-slight cost!).
M1T is offline  
Old 11-28-22, 03:02 PM
  #4690  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 15,117

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9434 Post(s)
Liked 5,805 Times in 3,356 Posts
Originally Posted by str View Post
What brand/model is your front rack? And bag too.

thanks
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 11-29-22, 08:37 AM
  #4691  
str
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Universe Spain
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
What brand/model is your front rack? And bag too.

thanks
The bag is from Cordel Cycling in Madrid. 33cm wide, 23cm height. (its not the bag you see in the rack picture) https://www.cordelcycling.com


The rack is titanium and done by Wheeldan Berlin, https://www.wheeldan.de/fahraeder





str is offline  
Likes For str:
Old 11-29-22, 10:43 AM
  #4692  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 12,589
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2491 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by str View Post
The rack is titanium and done by Wheeldan Berlin, https://www.wheeldan.de/fahraeder
is it custom made, as the angle of the rod with the threaded part that goes into the fork crown would be different for different bikes no?

beautiful rack though, I'm sure it isnt cheap.
djb is offline  
Old 11-30-22, 01:08 AM
  #4693  
str
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Universe Spain
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by djb View Post
is it custom made, as the angle of the rod with the threaded part that goes into the fork crown would be different for different bikes no?

beautiful rack though, I'm sure it isnt cheap.

yes, it was made for this bike, but I don't remember now why ) also I don't remember why we added the threads on the fork arms. maybe I found out about the advantages of only front load use.
compared to the today costs of a Nitto M18 the custom work was not so expensive ) 250. today I guess it would be double? the bike was more like a road touring bike.


str is offline  
Old 11-30-22, 08:17 AM
  #4694  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 12,589
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2491 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 651 Posts
Thanks.
I'm sure you appreciate these lower gearing of the other bike.
djb is offline  
Likes For djb:
Old 12-05-22, 02:22 AM
  #4695  
fdimike
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ex-pat American living in Thailand
Posts: 20

Bikes: Surly LHT, & Merida Matts 40 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here'a photo of my loaded Surly on a recent 3 week trip around NE Thailand.
fdimike is offline  
Old 12-05-22, 02:24 AM
  #4696  
fdimike
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ex-pat American living in Thailand
Posts: 20

Bikes: Surly LHT, & Merida Matts 40 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
WE covered about 850kms during those 3 weeks. Great cycling!!
fdimike is offline  
Old 12-05-22, 03:14 PM
  #4697  
str
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Universe Spain
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 143 Posts
str is offline  
Likes For str:
Old 12-11-22, 07:04 PM
  #4698  
M1T
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Carbondale (nicer than it sounds), Colorado
Posts: 84

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by fdimike View Post
WE covered about 850kms during those 3 weeks. Great cycling!!
A friend of mine from Cambridge, UK pulled up stakes and moved to Thailand 5 or so years ago. He does a lot of brevets (think thats the correct term) and cycles all over SE Asia. Before he moved there permanently, he flew from the UK to Hanoi, bought a cheap Schwinn bike on the street, fixed some panniers to it somehow (wasn't a touring bike per se) and rode to Malaysia, solo. Geoff Jones (late 60's now) if you ever run across a Brit on some quiet backroad... He loves it there and I doubt he's ever move back.
M1T is offline  
Old 12-15-22, 11:23 AM
  #4699  
afrowheels
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
For a South America tour

In Colombia:

afrowheels is offline  
Likes For afrowheels:
Old 12-15-22, 02:03 PM
  #4700  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 9,906

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2906 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 842 Posts
Originally Posted by afrowheels View Post
In Colombia:
...
From the photo I can't tell if you buckeled them the way Ortlieb suggests.

I owned my Backrollers and Rack Pack for a decade before I learned from that video that I had been doing it all wrong.
Tourist in MSN is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.