Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike lighting

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bike lighting

Old 08-03-22, 06:21 PM
Azriel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bike lighting

is a light a must for night riding safety?
Old 08-04-22, 08:38 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
There are varying levels of safety.

At the low end are black-clad, unlit, non-reflective 'bike ninjas' darting in unexpected ways through the shadows.

At the high end are highly visible riders who employ be-seen clothing, strategically placed reflectors, reflective tape and lights as well as headlights lights to see the road and obstacles by.
(I also use an air horn to be heard.)

Where your comfort zone on the spectrum lies depends on how and where you ride and much risk you feel comfortable with.

I'll just mention that many cities and municipalities require bike lighting at night, and the more you ride without it, the greter your chances of being pulled over, cited and fined.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-04-22, 09:43 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
Headlights powerful enough for you to see the potholes and debris at night are a good idea. I like a solid non flashing taillight for night use. I have a separate taillight that is very bright and flashes for daylight visibility. I believe it is the law in all or most of the 50 states that you have a headlight and a reflector.
Likes For Rick:
Old 08-06-22, 08:38 AM
RyderKeepUp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Azriel
Unless you are only biking slowly on brightly lit path, some measure of lighting is essential.
For less than $50, I have very bright front and rear blinking LED lights + helmet mounted front beam and rear blinking red light. Modern rechargeable LED lights are so cheap and bright it's a no-brainer.
Old 08-06-22, 09:15 AM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 104 Posts
Two things consider with headlights, the small head lights will tell others on the road something is there, brighter lights will let you see what is up ahead on the road. Where are you riding? I ride with a group that will do gravel roads at night and on a dirt rail\trail, there are no street lights on the routes. Bright lights are needed to see where we are going and to alert others of your presence.

When on the road I always use a front facing small flashing white light and two tail lights; a Varia radar\light and a helmet mounted light. When riding at night, the forward light is in the 800 to 1,200 lumen range and on solid.

The answer to your question is yes.
Old 08-06-22, 04:36 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
The trolls have been on a mission around here lately.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-08-22, 08:39 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Troll or not, the answer is yes.

Case in point: when I was younger, poorer, and less wise, I was riding in twilight with no lights, on a rural road. From out of nowhere, an ATV with no lights on came blasting across the road without slowing, let alone stopping to check for traffic. Missed my rear wheel by an inch or two I'd guess. If I had a headlight, the kid might have seen me and stopped before crossing the road.
Old 08-08-22, 12:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If you are in the woods or fields and off the road, then do what you want. Overall visibility is better with no lights and just the background light from moon, stars and other things. However if you are on the road, then do what is required by your state or local jurisdiction.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-09-22, 07:43 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
The trolls have been on a mission around here lately.

Old 08-10-22, 06:35 PM
jgrosser

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Supersix Evo; 2013 Soma Smoothie; 2010 Cannondale Supersix; 2008 Cervelo RS; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm wondering what people think about this: Recently, during a daytime ride on a rural hiker/biker trail, my group was scolded twice for riding with blinking headlights. In each case, we were warned that blinking lights could cause seizures in people with epilepsy. Later, I did some research, and it seems that the estimated number of people in the US with photosensitive epilepsy is approximately 30,000. Thus, in a country of 330 million people, it seems that the likelihood of encountering a person with photosensitive epilepsy is pretty slim. I prefer a blinking headlight for an all-day ride because the battery lasts longer.

Any thoughts on prevailing attitudes towards the use of blinking lights in respect to risks to people with photosensitive epilepsy?

Thanks.
Old 08-10-22, 07:26 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by jgrosser
I'm wondering what people think about this: Recently, during a daytime ride on a rural hiker/biker trail, my group was scolded twice for riding with blinking headlights. In each case, we were warned that blinking lights could cause seizures in people with epilepsy. Later, I did some research, and it seems that the estimated number of people in the US with photosensitive epilepsy is approximately 30,000. Thus, in a country of 330 million people, it seems that the likelihood of encountering a person with photosensitive epilepsy is pretty slim. I prefer a blinking headlight for an all-day ride because the battery lasts longer.

Any thoughts on prevailing attitudes towards the use of blinking lights in respect to risks to people with photosensitive epilepsy?

Thanks.
Go ahead and use what makes you feel comfortable. Anti-vaxxers were opposed to the Covid vaccines eventhough the side effects have a lot lower risk than getting the same side effects from covid.

If blinking lights are a real problem, someone would be working in making them illegal. Until then, use them if you want.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 08-11-22, 02:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

Thanks.

OK, so I think the epilepsy thing is probably far-fetched, but I think the far more obvious problem with blinking lights on paths is that the blinking is unnecessary and, if bright and fast enough, actually painful and disorienting for the person going the other way on the path. If people are complaining, I'd suggest you either turn off the blinking, reduce the brightness, or decrease the flash rate. I have had many encounters with people on paths whose lights were essentially blinding me, and there's no way in the world that wasn't making everyone around us including ourselves less safe.
Old 08-11-22, 02:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Go ahead and use what makes you feel comfortable. Anti-vaxxers were opposed to the Covid vaccines eventhough the side effects have a lot lower risk than getting the same side effects from covid.

If blinking lights are a real problem, someone would be working in making them illegal. Until then, use them if you want.

Blinking lights on paths are often quite dangerous, definitely annoying, and on some paths I have been on, explicitly banned.

Your comparison to anti-vax is total crap. Our pupils are not evolved to be able to contract and dilate fast enough to cope with strobing at close range, and it serves absolutely no purpose on paths where the speeds are too slow for this to make any sense whatsoever, but high enough for cyclists to crash into each other if they can't really see the oncoming cyclist because the glare is blinding them.
Old 08-11-22, 02:46 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Typically the blinking mode serves well when adjusted down enough & used in: the fog, heavy traffic areas during the day, paths used during the day with a lot of sharp bends. When the blink mode is being used when the path is pretty straight & clear, with it's flash aimed at the face of others, I just assume the rider has the IQ of a box of rocks & soils themselves often for no apparent reason.
Old 08-12-22, 05:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Troul
Typically the blinking mode serves well when adjusted down enough & used in: the fog, heavy traffic areas during the day, paths used during the day with a lot of sharp bends. When the blink mode is being used when the path is pretty straight & clear, with it's flash aimed at the face of others, I just assume the rider has the IQ of a box of rocks & soils themselves often for no apparent reason.

It's really a matter of three factors-the idiotic use is fast flash, extremely bright and aimed directly forward without angling down. It's absolutely blinding and forces the oncoming rider to turn their head away as they close the distance. I almost hit a kid on a bike because his father was riding next to him with one of those damn lights. He made the kid essentially invisible.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-12-22, 05:43 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I knew a free climber who climbed w/o a rope until he didn't.

You might not die. You might not hit a pothole and do an endo breaking a lot of bones.

Those who play stupid games should be entitled the freedom to collect their prize.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-12-22, 06:45 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
IMHO typical flashing bicycle headlight doesn't seem likely to induce a seizure. No more so than any of the flashing or strobe lights used on myriad vehicles - police/fire/ambulance/tow/roadcrew/etc.

Here's an interesting article: https://www.brainfacts.org/diseases-...eizures-012821

Seems the most troublesome frequency range is 10-20 flashes per second and must cover enough of the retina - neither of which would seem to be an issue with an oncoming bicycle headlight.

All that said, I don't think a bright flash (or really any light) is needed on a rural hiker/biker trail.

Last edited by gpburdell; 08-12-22 at 06:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-15-22, 07:04 AM
jgrosser

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Supersix Evo; 2013 Soma Smoothie; 2010 Cannondale Supersix; 2008 Cervelo RS; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the responses. Blinking lights are permitted under the law in the state in question. The "Bicycle Driver's Manual" published by the state's Department of Transportation states: "Operators of pedalcycles may supplement the required front lamp with a white flashing lamp, light-emitting diode or similar device to enhance their visibility to other traffic and with a lamp emitting a red flashing lamp, light-emitting diode or similar device visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear."

In my case, I keep my light pointed down, so the focus is around 7-8 feet in front of my front wheel. The comments were not directed at me, so perhaps my light settings are sufficient already.
Likes For jgrosser:
Old 08-23-22, 01:29 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Blinking lights will disrupt saccadic scanning and make you substantially more visible by their sheer disruptive effect.
Sorry if it annoys
It is supposed to.
pointing it so it's not in somebody's eyes is simple courtesy.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 10-09-22, 05:22 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I am not even sure why this is a question. Lights at night are a legal requirement and not just for "safety".
Likes For blue192:
Old 10-09-22, 06:37 PM
jgrosser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blue192
I am not even sure why this is a question. Lights at night are a legal requirement and not just for "safety".
To be clear, the situation I described occurred during daytime on a bike path, not a road. Also, the issue was not lights vs no lights, but rather blinking lights vs steady lights.
Old 10-13-22, 02:07 PM
kengrubb

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn World, 2007 Kona Dew

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I think so. I have two headlights on my bike and one on my helmet. Also have four tail lights. All are battery. One time, at night, in the rain, all three of my headlights died. The spare rechargeable AA batteries for one of my headlights were even dead. I made it home safely, but it was a bit "exhilarating".

I've contemplated a hub light, but now I just check my lights after I ride so I don't leave a dead light (or three) on the bike.
Old 10-18-22, 05:19 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 178 Posts
Only if you want to see where you are going, and to be seen!
Old 10-27-22, 07:28 PM
ilchymis
A.K.A. purple fork man

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Lights are a must, unless there's a 0% chance you'll run across drivers or other cyclists on your route.

But there are some other considerations to take into account, aside from just having lights. Many modern bike lights are over-powered and don't have cutoffs like car headlamps do, and these can easily blind oncoming bike traffic on the sort of multi-use trails I commute on, especially if they're helmet-mounted. I'd highly recommend StVZO-compliant lights if you're riding anywhere near other cyclists, to avoid blinding them. I use StVZO dynamo-powered lights on my commute-to-work bike, and on my cheap do-errands-around-town bike I use these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/MEIDI-Bic...ight/704688630
Likes For ilchymis:
Old 10-31-22, 07:20 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by kengrubb
I think so. I have two headlights on my bike and one on my helmet. Also have four tail lights. All are battery. One time, at night, in the rain, all three of my headlights died. The spare rechargeable AA batteries for one of my headlights were even dead. I made it home safely, but it was a bit "exhilarating".

I've contemplated a hub light, but now I just check my lights after I ride so I don't leave a dead light (or three) on the bike.
LOL sorry this happened to you. It has happened to me too... usually because I thought I had more of a light charge then I did.

I have a similar set up to yours, with multiple lights, due to commuting in an area with fast dense MV traffic. (and by "dense" I mean both the drivers and the amount of traffic. )

I have an old generator light left over from many builds ago... I keep it on the bike as a very redundant back up light. I can always press it into use if the better battery lights fail.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.