Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clipping in [Flame suit on]

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Clipping in [Flame suit on]

Old 09-10-22, 11:12 AM
  #26  
terrymorse 
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 5,014

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Liked 1,426 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
Have you considered speedplay zeros? Biggest drawback is the shoe selection if adapters are not your thing.
There's also the fun of walking on those Speedplay cleats. Less walking, actually, more mincing. Or carrying cleat clovers, having them fall off while walking about, and retracing your steps to find the lost cleat cover.

Fun stuff.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat

terrymorse is offline  
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-10-22, 11:17 AM
  #27  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 6,036

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,114 Times in 1,421 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse View Post
There's also the fun of walking on those Speedplay cleats. Less walking, actually, more mincing. Or carrying cleat clovers, having them fall off while walking about, and retracing your steps to find the lost cleat cover.

Fun stuff.
as long as the plugs are used, I've never lost a cover.... but evidently, losing a cover after taking off quickly from stop seems to be a thing I've only been unfortunate to experience...
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 09-10-22, 11:51 AM
  #28  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,330

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20610 Post(s)
Liked 9,279 Times in 4,595 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse View Post
There's also the fun of walking on those Speedplay cleats. Less walking, actually, more mincing. Or carrying cleat clovers, having them fall off while walking about, and retracing your steps to find the lost cleat cover.

Fun stuff.
Have you used them recently? They've all come with walkable cleats for the last 4 or 5 years; you're not skating on steel plates anymore. I find them to be more walkable than Delta-type cleats and the older Speedplay Cafe Covers that were always getting lost.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 09-10-22, 12:10 PM
  #29  
VegasJen
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Basically you were inept and didn't bother to learn how to use the gear, and are blaming the gear for your unwillingness to master it.

Okay.
You guys defend clipping in all you want. But the data is out there. Clipping in gives modest gains in power, at best. So you can promote the additional expense and complication if you want. But I am immune to hype. The **** to worth ratio analysis shows no advantage. I could spend more time using them and I could have a $10,000 bike maintained by a shop but it still doesn't equal any advantage.

At least not in my case, not the way I ride. You want to ride clipped in, knock yourself out. Unlike some of you judgy types, I believe you can do whatever the hell makes you happy.
VegasJen is offline  
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 09-10-22, 12:12 PM
  #30  
VegasJen
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger View Post
Use whatever works for you. But just because something didn't work for you doesn't mean it's a bad idea, or may not be of benefit for someone else. FWIW, I tried clipless pedals after I bought a road bike. Had ridden mtn bikes prior, with pinned flats, as the terrain I was riding sometimes demanded a dab to happen quickly and unexpectedly. Figured with the road bike, since the need to get a foot off the pedal would be forseen easily, I gave clipless a try. Wasn't for me, so went back to pinned flats on the road bike also. Clipless are not for me, but others find them useful, which is fine with me. Ride what works for you, and keeps the wheels turning!
If people actually bothered to read my post, this is pretty much exactly what I said. I don't like them and I don't see a benefit. But I clearly state that if it's your thing, then you do you.
VegasJen is offline  
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 09-10-22, 12:14 PM
  #31  
VegasJen
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
You gave up after one 20 mile ride?
Did you actually read the post?
VegasJen is offline  
Old 09-10-22, 12:18 PM
  #32  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,330

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20610 Post(s)
Liked 9,279 Times in 4,595 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
At least not in my case, not the way I ride.
This is the most insightful thing you've said. If I rode like you ride, I wouldn't use clipless, either. If you rode like I ride, you wouldn't do so without clipless pedals, either.

Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
Unlike some of you judgy types, I believe you can do whatever the hell makes you happy.
Yet you insinuate that the majority of us are only buying in to hype, fashion and/or the emulation or pros. Seems awfully judgy to me.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 09-10-22, 12:20 PM
  #33  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,996

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6819 Post(s)
Liked 2,129 Times in 1,153 Posts
I don't care how any of you ride. But if you make specious arguments i will note that.

Trying to "prove" that your way is better is pointless and in fact, impossible. There is no objective evidence to justify Any preference.

But seriously, if i am deaf and talk a lot about which bands don't impress me, are you going to listen closely to my opinions? If you give me two cars to test and I say one is better, are you going to listen to my judgment after you find out that i crashed the second one before the test?

You know you don't like cleats. You knew it before you started. You had a bunch of accidents because apparently you never bothered to learn to use them. You have Zero objective evidence showing they are as good, better, or less good than ... what you prefer. You never did a valid test.

You preference alone is all the validation you should need. You want it, that's it.

A lot of people start threads here here trying to "prove" that what they like is quantifiably better. It is pitiful and pathetic. Which color is better? What is the best song?

Why people cannot distinguish between subjective and objective .... maybe there is something to the "dumbing down" of the U.S. educational system.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 09-10-22, 12:41 PM
  #34  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 6,558
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5966 Post(s)
Liked 9,027 Times in 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
If people actually bothered to read my post, this is pretty much exactly what I said. I don't like them and I don't see a benefit. But I clearly state that if it's your thing, then you do you.
BS. You're telling clipless riders that they've bought into the "hype." Here are some snippets from your earlier posts:

Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
You guys defend clipping in all you want. But the data is out there. Clipping in gives modest gains in power, at best. So you can promote the additional expense and complication if you want. But I am immune to hype. The **** to worth ratio analysis shows no advantage.
Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
I suppose if you do a lot of riding in the rain or snow or an oil storm(?) then I can see how keeping your feet clipped to the pedals could give you some reassurance. So there's that. And if I was ever sponsored by a manufacturer that required me using their product, sure,
And the data is actually quite mixed -- with plenty of it demonstrating physio and mechanical advantages to riding clipless -- like this study. And such studies don't even begin to discuss (much less measure) the advantages in bike handling, the reduction in crashes and skinned knees, and the reduced physical and mental effort provided by NOT having to keep thinking about and adjusting the position of feet on pedals.

You're a novice rider who tried clipless for a few rides and then comes onto a cycling forum (in which the average member has vastly more experience and knowledge than you) to tell a whole bunch of us that we're fools. You've got quite a Dunning Kruger effect going on.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-10-22, 12:49 PM
  #35  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,206

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 4,804 Times in 1,926 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
You're a novice rider who tried [insert choice here] for a few rides and then comes onto a cycling forum (in which the average member has vastly more experience and knowledge than you) to tell a whole bunch of us that we're fools.
There seems to be a lot of that going around.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-10-22, 02:51 PM
  #36  
VegasJen
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
This is the most insightful thing you've said. If I rode like you ride, I wouldn't use clipless, either. If you rode like I ride, you wouldn't do so without clipless pedals, either.



Yet you insinuate that the majority of us are only buying in to hype, fashion and/or the emulation or pros. Seems awfully judgy to me.
I made the attempt to use "clipless" pedals. The fact is the data doesn't support the efficiency argument. Not my opinion, but studies by people that live and breathe cycling. So that leaves really only two viable arguments. 1) you feel more in control and stable being clipped in. That's a valid observation, and I respect that. 2) you're buying all the kit to look like the "big boys". If that's your thing, that's fine too. I don't know why you choose to and I don't care. But you're inferring that I'm judging everybody against the gotta-have-the-gear standard. I'm not. That may be a factor, but it's not a deciding factor.

And the fact that so many of you have your panties in a wad over my opinion does speak to the issue all by itself.
VegasJen is offline  
Old 09-10-22, 02:55 PM
  #37  
VegasJen
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I don't care how any of you ride. But if you make specious arguments i will note that.

Trying to "prove" that your way is better is pointless and in fact, impossible. There is no objective evidence to justify Any preference.

But seriously, if i am deaf and talk a lot about which bands don't impress me, are you going to listen closely to my opinions? If you give me two cars to test and I say one is better, are you going to listen to my judgment after you find out that i crashed the second one before the test?

You know you don't like cleats. You knew it before you started. You had a bunch of accidents because apparently you never bothered to learn to use them. You have Zero objective evidence showing they are as good, better, or less good than ... what you prefer. You never did a valid test.

You preference alone is all the validation you should need. You want it, that's it.

A lot of people start threads here here trying to "prove" that what they like is quantifiably better. It is pitiful and pathetic. Which color is better? What is the best song?

Why people cannot distinguish between subjective and objective .... maybe there is something to the "dumbing down" of the U.S. educational system.
I said in my original post that they don't work for me. I don't like them. I think I gave them a fair shot. In case some of you FAILED to read my original post, I have more 200 miles over 8 or 9 rides between the SPDs and the Looks. I think the SPDs were better in that they were easier to get out of, but they could be pretty finicky to get into also. It still doesn't change the fact that for the riding I do (paved roads in generally dry, clear conditions) they're little more than expensive kit with little return on investment.

You do you and I'll do me.
VegasJen is offline  
Old 09-10-22, 02:58 PM
  #38  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 15,116

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9433 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 3,355 Posts
VegasJen - learn to shift. Also, I can ride atop(not clipped in) my spd pedals without issue. If one isn't clipped and the other is, just pedal with the clipped in leg while your unclipped foot attaches to the pedal. Pretty simple.

But most importantly - learn to shift. You won't then get stuck in a bad gear riding up a hill.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 09-10-22, 02:59 PM
  #39  
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bike
 
Chuck M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,390

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 639 Posts
I'm guessing now (and I should have known by the mention of flame suit in the thread title) that you just want to argue about clipless pedals. I think you could have learned more and perhaps got better results had you posted something more along the line of asking for tips how to use foot retention and using the resources of this board's membership rather than alienating some of the people you think have panties in a wad.

Some of the more notorious trolls have recently been banned otherwise they would perhaps join in with you.
__________________
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels." -- Heinz Stücke

Chuck M is offline  
Old 09-10-22, 03:02 PM
  #40  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,330

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20610 Post(s)
Liked 9,279 Times in 4,595 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
But you're inferring that I'm judging everybody against the gotta-have-the-gear standard. I'm not.
I'm not inferring anything, I'm going by statements that you've made.

Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
And the fact that so many of you have your panties in a wad over my opinion does speak to the issue all by itself.
I can't speak for others, but my panties aren't in a wad - panties would be inappropriate under bibs, we've discussed this.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-10-22, 03:18 PM
  #41  
Bob Ross
your god hates me
 
Bob Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,345

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
The fact is the data doesn't support the efficiency argument.
Some data doesn't support the efficiency argument, that's true. However, you may be confusing efficiency with efficacy.

As I wrote elsewhere: One thing that often gets overlooked when folks cite studies on "Pedaling Efficiency" (that demonstrate the downstroke produces positive torque while the upstroke produces negative torque) and conclude that this must be a reason why clipless pedals or toeclips are unnecessary, is that they may be confusing Efficiency with Efficacy.

Efficiency is a fairly objective measurement; it's defined as the ratio of the useful work performed by a machine or in a process to the total energy expended (or heat taken in).

Yes, putting all of your force into the downstroke of a pedal (and little-to-none into the upstroke) will produce more useful work -- make the bike go faster or farther -- or it will expend less energy, than having a uniform pedal stroke with consistent power around the full 360°.

But often our cycling goals aren't concerned with absolute Efficiency; our goals while riding aren't necessarily to always Maximize The Ratio Of Useful Work To Energy Expended. Sometimes our cycling goals are a bit more abstract

...like, Win The Race.

Or Get To The End Of The Ride Without Bonking.

This is where Efficacy trumps Efficiency. Achieving these abstract goals often requires that you temporarily ride in an inefficient manner. Because pulling on the upstroke or applying power through all 360° of the pedal stroke can distribute the workload to less-sore/tired muscles, and/or it can allow for more instantaneous acceleration. And being able to selectively do those things can often allow the cyclist to be more effective at achieving their ultimate goal.

And clipless pedals or toe clips have been shown empirically to aid the Efficacy of those strategies.
Bob Ross is offline  
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 09-10-22, 03:35 PM
  #42  
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 797

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
as a rider who has been "clipped in" since 1994....



cool. you do you.
growlerdinky is offline  
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 09-10-22, 03:41 PM
  #43  
fujidon
Junior Member
 
fujidon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: central NJ
Posts: 149

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
I made the attempt to use "clipless" pedals. The fact is the data doesn't support the efficiency argument. Not my opinion, but studies by people that live and breathe cycling. So that leaves really only two viable arguments. 1) you feel more in control and stable being clipped in. That's a valid observation, and I respect that. 2) you're buying all the kit to look like the "big boys". If that's your thing, that's fine too. I don't know why you choose to and I don't care. But you're inferring that I'm judging everybody against the gotta-have-the-gear standard. I'm not. That may be a factor, but it's not a deciding factor.

And the fact that so many of you have your panties in a wad over my opinion does speak to the issue all by itself.
You're looking for an argument and you created one.
Take the advice that you find useful and ignore the rest. If you insist on things like "the data doesn't support". you're just being argumentative and contrary.
And then you get pissy because because not everyone agrees with you,
Feel free to ride the way you like, but don't come here and tell everyone else they're wrong.

Some people enjoy the sport of debate for its own sake. I'm not one of them. I think you might be.
fujidon is offline  
Likes For fujidon:
Old 09-10-22, 03:41 PM
  #44  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,974

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7291 Post(s)
Liked 7,757 Times in 3,953 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
This is the most insightful thing you've said. If I rode like you ride, I wouldn't use clipless, either. If you rode like I ride, you wouldn't do so without clipless pedals, either.



Yet you insinuate that the majority of us are only buying in to hype, fashion and/or the emulation or pros. Seems awfully judgy to me.
Yeah, that.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 09-10-22, 03:50 PM
  #45  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,974

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7291 Post(s)
Liked 7,757 Times in 3,953 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
...But the data is out there...
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
And the data is actually quite mixed....
Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
... The fact is the data doesn't support the efficiency argument....
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Some data doesn't support the efficiency argument, that's true.
Jesus, people! "Data" is the PLURAL!!! "The data ARE out there"..."the data DON'T support the argument."
If you're going to waste time arguing about personal preferences as if they're empirically derived, you could at least do it grammatically.
/rant
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-10-22, 03:56 PM
  #46  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 15,116

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9433 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 3,355 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Jesus, people! "Data" is the PLURAL!!!
I believe you meant to post- data are the plural.
...kidding.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-10-22, 03:59 PM
  #47  
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,290
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 1,054 Posts
The word data is not a plural. There is one word. Geese is a single word for more than one goose. Mice is a single word for more than one mouse. Data is a single word for more than one datum.

The data themselves are plural.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-10-22, 03:59 PM
  #48  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,974

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7291 Post(s)
Liked 7,757 Times in 3,953 Posts
BTW, for the OP - as someone above said, you'd benefit from learning how and when to shift. Also, you might benefit from spending time and effort on bike set up and maintenance. With the derailleurs and shifters set up properly, and shifted properly, you shouldn't find yourself stalling out and dropping the chain, pedal type notwithstanding.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-10-22, 04:02 PM
  #49  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,974

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7291 Post(s)
Liked 7,757 Times in 3,953 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark View Post
The word data is not a plural. There is one word. Geese is a single word for more than one goose. Mice is a single word for more than one mouse. Data is a single word for more than one datum.

The data themselves are plural.
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The singular is "datum" and even if it weren't "Data" takes the plural. "These are the data" "The data show thus-and-so".
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 09-10-22, 04:03 PM
  #50  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,974

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7291 Post(s)
Liked 7,757 Times in 3,953 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I believe you meant to post- data are the plural.
...kidding.
Right, because as written, it was talking about the word, not the data.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Likes For genejockey:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.