Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Head badge says Allegro, frame details say no

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Head badge says Allegro, frame details say no

Old 11-28-22, 06:51 PM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by retyred View Post
I bought this bike years ago with the intention to restore it. Never got around to it and finally decided to pass it on. Upon closer inspection it appears to have been rebadged (?)

This bike lacks two distinctive details that every Allegro of this time period should have: the small tag with serial number brazed to the seat tube and wrap around seat stays. The serial number and what I believe to be month and year of manufacture are stamped into BB shell.

Frame has been repainted and some components have been changed. (rear derailleur, fork, and stem) Campy hubs are 'No Record' with CAM 60 lock nuts. BB shell is 68mm. Stronglight 57 crankset. Mafac 'Dural Forge' brakes. Campy 25.0 shimmed seat post.

One more bit of info. Allegro head badge, when compared to those on my other Allegros has the exact same rivets used as fasteners.

Last bit of info: a genuine Allegro from 1961 would have a serial number beginning around 167... and consisting of six digits.

So what do I have here?

Nice bike.

Could you post a picture of the brake bridge? I'm interested in how it's attached to the seat stays. I have a hunch, just want to confirm.
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 11-28-22, 07:43 PM
retyred

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 15 Posts

Per your request. Only picture currently available.
Old 11-30-22, 02:13 AM
MauriceMoss

Originally Posted by retyred View Post

Per your request. Only picture currently available.

Thanks, that's great, exactly what I was looking for.

That's not an Allegro bridge. That style of brake bridge was not common on Swiss bikes. Actually, it wasn't common pretty much anywhere except in Germany.

Here's a closeup of that style of attachment on a couple of frames built by Hugo Rickert:

I don't think this mystery frame was substantially modified (or at least not modified from an Allegro to something that doesn't look like an Allegro), apart from the badge and a repaint. I agree with repechage about the head badge being a bit askew.

While there aren't many examples online that could be referenced, I think what you have here is one of Rixe's top models, which were labeled in several different ways - "Type Andre Bertin," "Super" and "SR 60," possibly depending on the market.

Rixe was a German manufacturer of all sorts of frames, mostly not high end. They did however have top-of-the-line all-Nervex racers in th 60s that must have been made in relatively small numbers as there aren't many examples still around. The only Rixe catalog for the US market has the top model labeled 'SR 60'.

There's little reliable info on whether Rixe made these Nervex frames on premises or if they were contracted out. I've read in a couple of places that they supposedly did build on premises, but I could also see someone like Hugo Rickert contract-building for them.

Here is a 'Type Andre Bertin':

Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 11-30-22, 02:23 AM
MauriceMoss

Here is a frame that was rebadged at some point with generic 'Sport' badge and decals. It popped up on rennrad-news.de a number of years ago but was never identified. The Olympic rings and 'Super de Luxe' decals are from Le Taureau frames (a label of a company from Stuttgart), most of which (during this period) were made by Hugo Rickert:

BTW, as far as I know, there hasn't been any connection between Bertin and Rixe, so 'Type Andre Bertin' was probably just a sales gimmick.
Also, early on the Andre Bertin decals were used on the top end models, but over the years they got applied to models lower and lower end of the Rixe range.
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 11-30-22, 02:26 AM
MauriceMoss

Here's another one that wasn't clearly identified when posted online, but fits in the Super/SR 60 category:

Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 11-30-22, 11:05 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 357 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3099 Post(s)
Liked 1,868 Times in 1,325 Posts
-----

Nostro Maurizio!

He just keeps hittin' the best pitches from the staff's ace clear out the stadium as though they were battin' practice!

Grazie Mille DCI Maurice.

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 11-30-22, 11:27 AM
retyred

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 15 Posts
Maurice Moss,
I stand before you drenched in utmost awe. . Absolutely brillant!

Last edited by retyred; 11-30-22 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Likes For retyred:
Old 11-30-22, 11:41 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 145 Posts
this was a fun read. suspenseful right to the end.
Old 11-30-22, 11:46 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked 2,444 Times in 811 Posts
MauriceMoss, bicycle savant!

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 11-30-22, 12:15 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 514 Posts
OMG, another textbook study in "how to be a bicycle sleuth"!
We are humbled and impressed by @MauriceMoss, yet again!
Who would have thought to home in on a brake bridge? MM, that's who!
Old 11-30-22, 12:54 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1974 Allegro No. 76, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1973 Raleigh GS, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 510 Posts
Thank you, MauriceMoss , because this one was driving me NUTS. The non-Fischer sand-cast BB and the pinned/peened/dimpled chainstay sockets, coupled with the serial number location and the serial number itself all pointed away from Allegro.

From what I gathered during my Allegro sleuthing phase was that they standardized on the seat tube lozenge before WWII - if the dates given for certain bikes are reasonably accurate. This one, for instance, allegedly has the lozenge.

If you're really bored, or have info you can add, I started assembling an Allegro database a while back ...