Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Your advice on a groupset

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Your advice on a groupset

Old 11-29-22, 05:43 PM
  #26  
Schlafen
Full Member
 
Schlafen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 48 Posts
Ultegra RD-RX800-GS is what you are looking for + a wolftooth road link and you should be ok to use 9000 cranks and a 11-40 cassette. Ultegra R8000 levers should work with RD-RX800-GS.
Schlafen is offline  
Old 11-29-22, 06:55 PM
  #27  
Hondo6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: SW Florida, USA
Posts: 793

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlafen View Post
Ultegra RD-RX800-GS is what you are looking for + a wolftooth road link and you should be ok to use 9000 cranks and a 11-40 cassette. Ultegra R8000 levers should work with RD-RX800-GS.
An earlier post by the OP indicates he's not in the US and that Wolftooth products aren't readily available in his locale. So while that solution is almost certainly workable, it doesn't work for the OP's particular situation.
Hondo6 is offline  
Old 11-29-22, 07:02 PM
  #28  
Schlafen
Full Member
 
Schlafen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6 View Post
An earlier post by the OP indicates he's not in the US and that Wolftooth products aren't readily available in his locale. So while that solution is almost certainly workable, it doesn't work for the OP's particular situation.
i would try a 40t cassette without a road link first. If he needs one, derailleur hanger extenders are available everywhere in the world for about a 5'er. eBay, amazon, etc.
Schlafen is offline  
Old 11-29-22, 07:23 PM
  #29  
Hondo6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: SW Florida, USA
Posts: 793

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlafen View Post
i would try a 40t cassette without a road link first. If he needs one, derailleur hanger extenders are available everywhere in the world for about a 5'er. eBay, amazon, etc.
A generic derailleur hanger extender could well work with his existing RD, and might be available in the OP's area. It would also very likely work with the upgraded RD and shifters you suggest.

Might be worth a try - with his existing FD first without, then with the derailleur hanger if necessary. But the OP would have to find and buy a 9-speed 40T cassette to try it with his existing FD, and he could end up stuck with something he can't use. Ditto with an 11 speed RD and shifters. Dunno.

OP's bike, so that's his call.

Last edited by Hondo6; 11-29-22 at 07:27 PM.
Hondo6 is offline  
Old 11-30-22, 12:58 AM
  #30  
Schlafen
Full Member
 
Schlafen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6 View Post
A generic derailleur hanger extender could well work with his existing RD, and might be available in the OP's area. It would also very likely work with the upgraded RD and shifters you suggest.

Might be worth a try - with his existing FD first without, then with the derailleur hanger if necessary. But the OP would have to find and buy a 9-speed 40T cassette to try it with his existing FD, and he could end up stuck with something he can't use. Ditto with an 11 speed RD and shifters. Dunno.

OP's bike, so that's his call.
If he's moving to 11s it will not work with a 9s XTR, different pull. A 9s 40t cassette may be available but that's not what he's asking here.
For the RX800 to work with his DA9000 he needs at least 105 R7000 shifters and a FD9000.
If he goes for 50/34 rings and a 11/36 cassette, for which the derailleur is rated as standard, he'll have enough range where he will not need to run a 40t, even though the RX800 derailleur will most likely work with a 40t cassette without needing the extender.
40t is usually used with 1x for range but OP wants a 2x so 40t will be overkill and with a 36/34 ratio he could climb up a wall anyway.
It depends if current bike and derailleur hanger, if it's a steel bike with an integrated hanger it should work no problem as they have longer hangers than the removable type.
Schlafen is offline  
Old 11-30-22, 01:06 AM
  #31  
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless
 
Bike Gremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Posts: 4,271

Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff3069 View Post
Hello all!
Have not been here for quite awhile

I would like to (buy and) install a new 11 spd group on an old cyclocross bike (of 9 speeds).

1. The current setup of 50/34 and 11-34 works alright for me.
2. in the new build, I prefer to use a 50/34 Dura Ace 9000 11spd crank that I have.
3. I am told that a long cage XT RD (have a long XTR one now) is not going to work with 105 sifters, and was advised to get a GRX group

My question is, please, what 11spd shifters, derailleurs should I buy so that they will work well with the above crank?
I'd be happy to have a cassette with even bigger cogs (36..40)

Thanks!!
J
With that crank, I'd give it a try with the existing 9-speed stuff.
Would be surprised if it doesn't work.

Though, I'd rather sell the overpriced Dura Ace crank and stay with the 2x9 setup.
Bike Gremlin is offline  
Old 11-30-22, 01:11 AM
  #32  
Schlafen
Full Member
 
Schlafen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin View Post
.
So, you're the guy with the youtube channel with the same name.
Schlafen is offline  
Likes For Schlafen:
Old 11-30-22, 04:39 AM
  #33  
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless
 
Bike Gremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Posts: 4,271

Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlafen View Post
So, you're the guy with the youtube channel with the same name.
And a website.
Bike Gremlin is offline  
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 11-30-22, 05:46 AM
  #34  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 9,623

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2369 Post(s)
Liked 2,643 Times in 1,611 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff3069 View Post
Hi base2,
The XTR RD currently on the bike was used (not new) when I got this bike in Jan 2006 - it is 16-20 years old with not a single problem
I prefer to stick with shimano especially considering that I am not in the US and this Woiftooth product is unknown here, not to mention parts if needed
Wolftooth will sell direct and ship worldwide
dedhed is offline  
Old 11-30-22, 06:34 AM
  #35  
Hondo6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: SW Florida, USA
Posts: 793

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlafen View Post
If he's moving to 11s it will not work with a 9s XTR, different pull. A 9s 40t cassette may be available but that's not what he's asking here.
For the RX800 to work with his DA9000 he needs at least 105 R7000 shifters and a FD9000.
If he goes for 50/34 rings and a 11/36 cassette, for which the derailleur is rated as standard, he'll have enough range where he will not need to run a 40t, even though the RX800 derailleur will most likely work with a 40t cassette without needing the extender.
40t is usually used with 1x for range but OP wants a 2x so 40t will be overkill and with a 36/34 ratio he could climb up a wall anyway.
It depends if current bike and derailleur hanger, if it's a steel bike with an integrated hanger it should work no problem as they have longer hangers than the removable type.
I'm well aware that Shimano's 9-speed XTR and 11-speed road RDs use different actuation ratios, thanks (approx 1.7:1 for Shimano 9 speed and below, except for older Dura Ace, vs. approx 1.4:1 for 11-speed Shimano road if I recall correctly). If the OP goes Shimano 11-speed, he'll obviously need new a new RD as well as shifters.

Above, I didn't think I needed to say that "with his existing RD" included the use of his existing 9 speed rear shifter as I thought that would be both obvious and understood - particularly since I also indicated he'd need to get a 9-speed, 40T cassette. I was merely pointing out that if going to a larger (e.g., 40T) max rear sprocket was the OPs primary goal that there might be a way to do that without the expense of new RD/FD/shifters.

Last edited by Hondo6; 11-30-22 at 06:46 AM.
Hondo6 is offline  
Old 11-30-22, 06:47 AM
  #36  
jeff3069
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guys, Thanks for the help! Considering the above I may just get a Shimano Sora FC-R3000 Crankset - 175mm, 9-Speed, 50/34t (current chinrings are ~finished) + new chain and cassttee - end of story 9 or 11 doesn't meeter much to me on this bike

1 question please - the RD in the below photos - what largest cog it can handle ? 36 ? maybe 40? (it currently works with 11-34)

Thanks a lot.





jeff3069 is offline  
Old 11-30-22, 09:52 AM
  #37  
Hondo6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: SW Florida, USA
Posts: 793

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff3069 View Post
Guys, Thanks for the help! Considering the above I may just get a Shimano Sora FC-R3000 Crankset - 175mm, 9-Speed, 50/34t (current chinrings are ~finished) + new chain and cassttee - end of story 9 or 11 doesn't meeter much to me on this bike

1 question please - the RD in the below photos - what largest cog it can handle ? 36 ? maybe 40? (it currently works with 11-34)

Thanks a lot.





Without a model number, what follows may not be correct. But here goes anyway.

The 9-speed Shimano XTR RDs appear to have been from the late 1990s/early 2000s, and appear to have had 950 or 960-series model numbers (e.g., "RD-M95X" or "RD-M96X", where X is another number.

The oldest Shimano specification compilation listed in Shimano's specifications repository is from 2004-2005. Several models of the M96X and M95X are listed there.

Shimano indicates a 34T max rear sprocket or all of the 9-speed XTR RDs listed there. However, Shimano's noted for being fairly conservative in their specifications. A 36T may work "out of the box" without a RD hanger extender - or it may not. And that may have simply been the largest rear cassette sprocket they were selling at the time.

RD hanger extenders are fairly inexpensive, and may well allow a 40T or larger largest rear sprocket. I understand shifting smoothness/responsiveness may suffer a bit with a hanger extender, but I've never tried one personally so I can't verify that.

Hope this helps. With a specific model number (it will be embossed on the RD somewhere, likely on the inside of one of the cage plates), I might be able to be definitive on what Shimano says.
Hondo6 is offline  
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 11-30-22, 10:01 AM
  #38  
jeff3069
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you very much Hondo6.

If you could please show me a link to buying this extender, that will be Nice

May either get it or may buy a new RD that supports ~40
jeff3069 is offline  
Old 11-30-22, 11:22 AM
  #39  
Hondo6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: SW Florida, USA
Posts: 793

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff3069 View Post
Thank you very much Hondo6.

If you could please show me a link to buying this extender, that will be Nice

May either get it or may buy a new RD that supports ~40
One of these might work. Hopefully Amazon delivers to your location and any local taxes won't be a deal-breaker. You might also be able to find something similar locally.

https://www.amazon.com/derailleur-ex...KDNoIE9f8wGJ8I

I'd recommend you get the type that extends your existing RD hanger vice replaces it completely. Replacing an existing hanger with a longer one only works if (1) you have a replaceable hanger (on some frames, they're part of the frame itself) and (2) you can find one that's an exact match for your existing hanger's mounting scheme (they're NOT universally mounted the same way).
Hondo6 is offline  
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 12-01-22, 03:31 AM
  #40  
jeff3069
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you Hondo 6!
jeff3069 is offline  
Old 12-01-22, 08:46 AM
  #41  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,189

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff3069 View Post
Thank you very much Hondo6.

If you could please show me a link to buying this extender, that will be Nice

May either get it or may buy a new RD that supports ~40
Another reason to consider buying an entirely new RD (that handles a 40T cog) is that your above photos of the XTR RD show that the teeth are pretty worn on both the upper (guide) and lower (tension) pulleys.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 12-01-22, 08:49 AM
  #42  
jeff3069
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is right too.. Thank you!
jeff3069 is offline  
Old 12-09-22, 01:32 PM
  #43  
jeff3069
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guys, thanks to your knowledgeable advice, the bike is up and running with a new 9s crank, 36T cassette, chain, break pads.. Thank you !
jeff3069 is offline  
Old 12-09-22, 09:01 PM
  #44  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,189

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 522 Posts
Glad to see you got everything working. For when you eventually need to replace the RD pulleys: Shimano XTR M970 9-Speed Rear Derailleur Pulley Set: Version 2 - Modern Bike
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 12-10-22, 12:09 AM
  #45  
jeff3069
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir View Post
Glad to see you got everything working. For when you eventually need to replace the RD pulleys: Shimano XTR M970 9-Speed Rear Derailleur Pulley Set: Version 2 - Modern Bike
Thank you SoSmellyAir for the link.
Yesterday when my friend at the bike shop installed the parts, we had a new RD ready too, but when he saw that this veteran xtr works well with the 36T we thought we'll leave it on.
jeff3069 is offline  
Likes For jeff3069:
Old 12-17-22, 09:31 PM
  #46  
jeff3069
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, Can you please look at the enclosed photo? that's a SCHWALBE Marathon Plus 35mm. Do you think this clearance will safely allow a 40mm tire? Thanks!


jeff3069 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.