Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is a hybrid a hybrid of?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is a hybrid a hybrid of?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-22, 11:05 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
It's generational.
A hybrid was the marketing hype in the 90's
A gravel bike is the marketing hype in the 2020's
And if you're offended that someone says a hybrid is the same as or a pre-curser to the gravel, you're too sensitive
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 11-27-22, 11:06 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
A hybrid is the opposite of a monstercross.

Simple.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-27-22, 11:21 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute;
You keep moving the goal posts. Now they have to be tubeless ready. That can be changed if desired. Or you can do tubeless the old school way.
You seem to be under the impression that we're having an argument. I had just noticed that, unlike their gravel lines, the hybrids don't come with tubeless-ready wheels, and was wondering if that's how Trek/Spec makes their distinction between the categories, if they're so otherwise similar.

Originally Posted by cyccommute;
A “gravel bike” is kind of nebulous as well. There’s racing, all road, gravel, bikepacking, etc. It’s just as open a term as “hybrid”. In fact, “hybrid” is probably a better name since gravel bikes are just road bike built to act like a 1990 mountain bike or a 1990 mountain bike modified to act like a road bike.
The topic isn’t whether hybrids are really gravel bikes, or whether “gravel” is a nebulous word, or whether “hybrid” is the “better name.” The topic is whether the term “hybrid bike” still actually signifies the merging of two things, and if so, what are they?

Last edited by Rolla; 11-28-22 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-27-22, 11:29 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by MarcusT
It's generational.
A hybrid was the marketing hype in the 90's
A gravel bike is the marketing hype in the 2020's
I think “hybrid” initially held promise as describing a happy medium between road and mountain. I just wonder if it has skewed so far away from the mountain bike side that the name really applies anymore.

And if you're offended that someone says a hybrid is the same as or a pre-curser to the gravel, you're too sensitive
Not offended, just unconvinced. But, hard as it is to believe, that’s not the topic anyway.
Old 11-27-22, 11:32 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by badger1
Oh, and yes: the term 'hybrid' is utterly meaningless in today's bicycle market.
Seems to be the case. Nice bike, btw.
Old 11-27-22, 11:54 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I think “hybrid” initially held promise as describing a happy medium between road and mountain. I just wonder if it has skewed so far away from the mountain bike side that the name really applies anymore.

Not offended, just unconvinced. But, hard as it is to believe, that’s not the topic anyway.
I bought a "hybrid" in the late 90's and the selling point was; it was designed to ride on country lanes and gravel roads. Now, if that is not a gravel bike...
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 11-28-22, 12:00 AM
Rolla

I bought a "hybrid" in the late 90's and the selling point was; it was designed to ride on country lanes and gravel roads. Now, if that is not a gravel bike...
I remember them being advertised in the late 80s as "City Bikes." Another term that bit the dust, evidently.

This was Bridgestone's take:

Last edited by Rolla; 11-28-22 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-28-22, 02:05 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that when you said earlier that "modern hybrids are just flat bar gravel bikes," you really meant that "some higher performance hybrids" are like gravel bikes.

Can you show an example of one of these higher-performance 1X hybrids that has a carbon fork, hydro discs, gear braze-ons, and big tire clearance? I don't think I've encountered one.
Ehhh as much as I am not usually a fan of wolfchild I think to a point they aren't totally incorrect on the higher performance hybrids are gravel bikes or adjacent in some way or not called hybrids. I think it is marketing but one could argue that a flat bar gravel bike is a hybrid should they want to do so.

Some options that fit most if not all the criteria:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/di...=322110-199972
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/si...=322036-200213
https://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/urb...itness/sequel/
https://konaworld.com/dew_deluxe.cfm
https://www.norconorthshore.com/prod...r-384114-1.htm
https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/yarrr...ablooner-34927 (a shameless plug for myself, I do need to get photos of it in current mode but it has decent tire clearance (I haven't totally maxed it out) and fits the other requirements and has ridden on gravel many times.

Honestly in the end a bike you ride on gravel could be considered a gravel bike. Some bikes are certainly more ideal for gravel but I think we get so hung up on naming sometimes but when we look back into history most bikes at the time were gravel bikes by default as roads weren't really there. I mean look at the Buffalo Soldiers who rode almost (or maybe all) of 2000 miles back in 1897. They rode a 1x bike back then festooned with frame bags and handlebar bags and this was 1897 https://onlinebicyclemuseum.co.uk/18...ding-roadster/
https://rediscovering-black-history....iment-part-ii/

I say gravel is just a surface and in the end if you enjoy riding on it and you can handle it with your bike, go for it have fun and you'll be fine.
Old 11-28-22, 04:14 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The topic is whether the term “hybrid bike” still actually signifies the merging of two things, and if so, what are they?
Hybrid is a jack of all trades master of none type of a bike. Good for pavement, commuting, fitness riding and not too bad off pavement if you put some off-road tires on it. Just like a crossover suv.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-28-22, 04:19 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
According to Marin, the DSX is a flat bar gravel bike, so yeah, I guess it’s like one.

They call the Muirwoods a “transit / urban” bike, which I guess is the new “commuter.”
Muirwoods has clearance for up to 29 x 2.1 tires, which makes it very suitable for off road riding... DSX can fit tires up to 700 x 50 mm.
Old 11-28-22, 04:49 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
It still works like it did if you replace the "mountain bike" with "XC mountain bike".
Likes For subgrade:
Old 11-28-22, 05:09 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
I still see them as a hybrid between a mountain bike and a road bike, albeit not an aggressive version of either.

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
A hybrid is a bike that does everything poorly. LOL. So they are sold to beginners that are poor at knowing anything about bikes.
To be fair they do suit a lot of people who only want a single bike. They aren't better than a mountain bike off road or a road bike on the road, but if you only take it out a few times a year along some MUPs and easy trails then they do the job perfectly.

If I only had a single bike (!!) then I'd probably have a hybrid with one of the 63mm suspension forks, and some fairly chunky tires.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 11-28-22, 05:37 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
The term "hybrid" (referring to a practical, versatile, comfortable bike) could only have been coined in an automobile-centered country, where such unglamorous bikes were of no interest. Elsewhere, they have been used for everyday transportation since the early 20th century and are called (in various languages) simply "bikes."
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-28-22, 06:21 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,550 Times in 727 Posts
Hybrid, schmybrid, whatever you want to call it, the bike for the Mrs is not out there (or I haven't found it) and all the new bikes I've seen so far require changes upon purchase.

Requirements
CF frame preferred, would go AL
commuter style handlebars, higher than the saddle
1x electronic shifting
disc brakes preferred

Canyon Roadlite CF 9 is close, would need different stem and handlebars.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 11-28-22 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-28-22, 08:16 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Hybrids lack the tire clearance and gearing for gravel, but nice try at being incendiary, gangsta.
While I don't necessarily agree that a hybrid is just a straight bar gravel bike, my first adult bike - a 2002 Cannondale Silk Adventure 400 has clearance for at least 45mm tires. Some gravel bikes don't have that much clearance. It also has a front shock which most modern hybrids don't seem to have. In fact, when the Cannondale Quick first came out, I didn't see it as anything except a road bike with straight bars - or what I called a "rybrid" or somewhere in between a road bike and a true hybrid bike. Today, my old hybrid would probably be considered very close to a hardtail 29er. And looking at today's Cannondale Adventure, it looks more like a comfort bike than a hybrid.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-28-22, 08:47 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
In the UK "hybrids" are usually flat bar road bikes with upright geometry and fairly wide tyres. Aimed at either city commuters or for very tame on/off-road riding. Also mostly aimed at the lower end of the market, although Canyon offer some pretty high-end "hybrids" which are very much flat bar road bikes.
Old 11-28-22, 08:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Interesting. They call the FX Sport 4 a "fitness bike for riders who want the speed of a lightweight road bike with the comfort and control of a flat handlebar," so I guess it's a "hybrid" of a fitness bike and a flat-bar road bike.

Neither the Trek nor the Sirrus has tubeless-ready tires or wheels, so maybe that's what distinguishes them from true gravel bikes. I suspect the geometry is different as well, but I haven't bothered to compare.

IMO, all of this just further establishes that "hybrid" is an outdated term for a vague-at-best bike category.
And that the manufacturer doesn't even call them hybrids. It just a term that we as cyclists can't seem to let go of.

edit.....

Well heck, seems I'm wrong, Trek still lumps them by a Hybrid category.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-bikes/c/B528/

I guess just like 700C tires the term will be with us forever. The manufacturers probably wont fully let go of it as long as we continue to use it. And we won't let go of it if the manufacturers keep using it.... a viscous circle!

Last edited by Iride01; 11-28-22 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-28-22, 09:18 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
IIRC, in the early 90’s when mtbs became popular, a large number of them were only used on pavement. There has been, and always will be, a large segment of the cycling world that will want flat bars.

Manufacturers basically put out a 700c version of a hardtail with a triple crank. The gearing fell in between road and mountain, although easily mtb gearing was not very low compared to later years.

I don’t see it as marketing hype, but supplying a bike to a lot of people who will never ride off-road, nor ride drop bars. I don’t have any numbers, but I would guess hybrids have outsold their counterparts over the years.

John
Old 11-28-22, 10:11 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by Herzlos
I still see them as a hybrid between a mountain bike and a road bike, albeit not an aggressive version of either.

To be fair they do suit a lot of people who only want a single bike. They aren't better than a mountain bike off road or a road bike on the road, but if you only take it out a few times a year along some MUPs and easy trails then they do the job perfectly.

Agreed, and my intention wasn't to bash the bike. They clearly fill a demand, even though the category has morphed into something that only tangentially corresponds to the name.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-28-22, 10:18 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I don’t see it as marketing hype, but supplying a bike to a lot of people who will never ride off-road, nor ride drop bars. I don’t have any numbers, but I would guess hybrids have outsold their counterparts over the years.
Agreed on all counts. The shop where I occasionally work sells a ton of hybrids, mostly to moms and dads who want to ride with their kids or put a child seat on them, and also a fair number to those who want to give commuting a shot.

They're sort of the mini-van of bikes: unglamorous but useful.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-28-22, 10:25 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by Lombard
And looking at today's Cannondale Adventure, it looks more like a comfort bike than a hybrid.
Yeah, the "comfort," "fitness," and "hybrid" categories seem to have a lot of overlap.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-28-22, 11:54 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
I think this was discussed in an episode of Seinfeld.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 11-28-22 at 11:57 AM.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-28-22, 12:12 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Yeah, the "comfort," "fitness," and "hybrid" categories seem to have a lot of overlap.
Note that Cannondale no longer even has a hybrid subcategory. They call them "fitness" bikes which is part of the larger "Active" category.

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...&priceMax=2975

In fact, they only have 3 categories - Road, Mountain, Active and Kids. Active includes the subcategories of Fitness, Urban and E-bikes.

The latest Adventure looks like the rentals you would find near bike trails and in some cities.

Last edited by Lombard; 11-28-22 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-28-22, 12:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think this was discussed in an episode of Seinfeld.
What's the deal with hybrids? Their quality is low. Their price is low. Why don't they call them lowbrids?

BTW....They're hybrid, and theyre spectacular.

I don't know how you guys ride around on those things.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-28-22, 02:11 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
IIRC, when hybrids first came out they were like MTBs with 700c wheels, less extreme low gears and non-knobby tires. No suspension fork, but MTBs didn't had them either back then.

Last edited by Reynolds; 11-28-22 at 02:15 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.