Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My dad's 40s Norman of England

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-24-22, 03:37 PM
lelila

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello. I was recently tasked with cleaning out my father's garage. In it was my father's Norman of England 3 speed that he bought as a young kid right after WWII. He once told me it was called 'fire and ice" because of the flame and icicles paint.

While cleaning up the garage, we found three more vintage bikes. A royal scot and two others I don't even know what they are. All four bikes are in seriously good condition having been kept indoors for literally decades.

First question: Was the bike really called "Fire and Ice"?
Second question: Are there people out there that can fix these bikes - like a new chain and tubes and tires? Or are they so old, no one has the parts or tools for them anymore?
Old 04-24-22, 04:16 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,373 Times in 3,665 Posts
Originally Posted by lelila
Hello. I was recently tasked with cleaning out my father's garage. In it was my father's Norman of England 3 speed that he bought as a young kid right after WWII. He once told me it was called 'fire and ice" because of the flame and icicles paint.

While cleaning up the garage, we found three more vintage bikes. A royal scot and two others I don't even know what they are. All four bikes are in seriously good condition having been kept indoors for literally decades.

First question: Was the bike really called "Fire and Ice"?
Second question: Are there people out there that can fix these bikes - like a new chain and tubes and tires? Or are they so old, no one has the parts or tools for them anymore?
Wow, welcome aboard, glad you found us, we live for this stuff.

There is somebody here that will have input, likely plenty of it. No bike is too old, maybe just more challenging.

I would encourage you to be careful, no cleanup or futzing until we get pics and have a look.

You will need 5 posts X 2 days for 10 posts so you can post pics, in the meantime you can try to upload some to your homepage album that may get moved here

We need good ones and plenty of them, chain side full on, closeups, components, decals, etc.

Respond to any and all posts here and comment on any others to get the posts.
Old 04-24-22, 06:48 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,044 Times in 1,252 Posts
Fire and Ice was a famous poem by Robert Frost, which was in a Pulitzer winning book and was likely first published in England. I could see Norman scooping the name for an illustrious 3 speed.
Old 04-24-22, 06:53 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Here is a good resource

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 04-24-22, 06:54 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,299 Times in 1,111 Posts
Give posting some pictures a go anyway. Someone today posted questions about their dad's Bates and was able to attach two pictures to it anyway for some reason. I thought perhaps the 10 post requirement got turned off for this sub-forum as it is a common place for new members to need to post pictures.

Old 04-24-22, 07:15 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Give posting some pictures a go anyway. Someone today posted questions about their dad's Bates and was able to attach two pictures to it anyway for some reason. I thought perhaps the 10 post requirement got turned off for this sub-forum as it is a common place for new members to need to post pictures.
I believe the 10 post requirement is only turned off if you become a paid member. (about $20 per year as I recall.)
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 04-24-22, 07:49 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,299 Times in 1,111 Posts
I believe you are correct. I didn't see the yellow jersey by her username and wasn't used to new members buying a paid membership that quickly.

Old 04-25-22, 06:02 AM
lelila

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for letting me know. I don't know what a homepage album is but I'll look around and figure it out.
Old 04-25-22, 06:05 AM
lelila

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Fire and Ice was a famous poem by Robert Frost, which was in a Pulitzer winning book and was likely first published in England. I could see Norman scooping the name for an illustrious 3 speed.
Honestly, I think my dad made it up but who knows. He told my brother that all the bikes back in the early 40s were black because of the war. I don't know why. But when my dad went to the bike shop there was only one that wasn't black and he bought it. The bike shop name is still on the bike. Tony's Bike Shop in Ronkonkama LI.
Old 04-25-22, 06:07 AM
lelila

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi
Here is a good resource
Thank you! I was reading in that place for a while before I decided to post.
Old 04-25-22, 06:09 AM
lelila

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac

There is somebody here that will have input, likely plenty of it. No bike is too old, maybe just more challenging.

I would encourage you to be careful, no cleanup or futzing until we get pics and have a look.

You will need 5 posts X 2 days for 10 posts so you can post pics, in the meantime you can try to upload some to your homepage album that may get moved here

We need good ones and plenty of them, chain side full on, closeups, components, decals, etc.

The bike is in complete working order and my dad rode it every day until two years ago. He replaced the seat about 15 years ago. The original seat had the fire and icicles on it too and was much narrower. So I know there are places that have compatible parts but I don't know about thinks like wheels. Do they change after 70 years?
Old 04-25-22, 11:33 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 346 Posts

Fire and Ice

By Robert Frost
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Anyway, glad you found us. As someone mentioned at the beginning, this is right in our collective wheelhouse. You'll get all of the advice you care to haul away. Most of it will probably even be good advice.

Was there a green bike as well? This is my single favorite Frost poem, especially at this time of year, when the first green leaves are just few weeks away:

Nothing Gold Can Stay

By Robert Frost
Nature’s first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf’s a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 04-25-22 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-25-22, 11:41 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Thank you for letting me know. I don't know what a homepage album is but I'll look around and figure it out.
https://www.bikeforums.net/members/lelila-553365.html
Old 04-25-22, 12:02 PM
merziac

The bike is in complete working order and my dad rode it every day until two years ago. He replaced the seat about 15 years ago. The original seat had the fire and icicles on it too and was much narrower. So I know there are places that have compatible parts but I don't know about thinks like wheels. Do they change after 70 years?
They do and can be a bit challenging as they used an odd size but can usually be sorted out, you really don't want to change anything as anything this old is best kept original as possible.
Old 04-25-22, 12:30 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Norman made a whole range of bikes from the heavy duty utilitarian ones to lightweight bikes with Reynolds tubing. The higher end ones had pretty fabulous decals. Fire and Ice decals sounds like fun-- I'd like to see that.
Old 04-25-22, 12:33 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
They do and can be a bit challenging as they used an odd size but can usually be sorted out, you really don't want to change anything as anything this old is best kept original as possible.
Most parts can be sourced for English bicycles.

As far as Norman goes, there are a few on here. I think RHM has some. I've seen a Norman Conquest in person, and a Norman Tourist. That said, I've never heard of a Fire and Ice.
Likes For gna:
Old 04-25-22, 12:42 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by gna
Most parts can be sourced for English bicycles.

As far as Norman goes, there are a few on here. I think RHM has some. I've seen a Norman Conquest in person, and a Norman Tourist. That said, I've never heard of a Fire and Ice.
Yep, true enough but rims, wheels and tires can be a pita if you want original in good shape, etc.

Ms. merziac's Call the Midwife bike, we have two of these, wish they were older.
Old 04-26-22, 10:42 AM
lelila

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara

Anyway, glad you found us. As someone mentioned at the beginning, this is right in our collective wheelhouse. You'll get all of the advice you care to haul away. Most of it will probably even be good advice.

Was there a green bike as well? This is my single favorite Frost poem, especially at this time of year, when the first green leaves are just few weeks away:

Holy Cow how did you know about the green bike? There is also a blue bike with "Royal Scot" on it and an orange bike. I don't know the make of the green or orange bikes.
Old 04-26-22, 11:17 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Go to your BF "user control panel" and profile and find "pictures & albums" an create photo albums. Others can then access that until you reach the number of posts so you can up load pictures to threads.
Old 04-26-22, 04:31 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 346 Posts
Holy Cow how did you know about the green bike? There is also a blue bike with "Royal Scot" on it and an orange bike. I don't know the make of the green or orange bikes.

I guess I must have psychic powers. Really, just a guess, based on my liking for the poem I quoted.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the fleet when you have time.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 04-27-22, 07:25 PM
lelila

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I guess I must have psychic powers. Really, just a guess, based on my liking for the poem I quoted.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the fleet when you have time.
I posted pictures in my album since I haven't met the threshold for posts.
Old 04-27-22, 07:26 PM
lelila

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Norman made a whole range of bikes from the heavy duty utilitarian ones to lightweight bikes with Reynolds tubing. The higher end ones had pretty fabulous decals. Fire and Ice decals sounds like fun-- I'd like to see that.
I uploaded the pictures to my album.
Old 04-27-22, 07:28 PM
lelila

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm still not at the threshold so I put the pics in my album. I'm only allowed 5 posts per day? Not sure - I keep getting messages that I've reached my limit for the day.
Old 04-27-22, 07:29 PM
lelila

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm still not at the threshold so I put the pics in my album. I'm only allowed 5 posts per day? Not sure - I keep getting messages that I've reached my limit for the day or I have to wait 30 minutes to post again. Then I get a message to wait 20 seconds. Must be a caching issue.
Old 04-27-22, 07:30 PM
lelila

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that didn't work. I thought I was multiquoting but obviously I failed at that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.