Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Leg Length and Left/Right Unequal Power Meter Balance

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-22, 02:56 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts

All,
I've had a professional fit at Specialized in Boulder, so I'm pretty dialed in. After the fit I got a Dura Ace two-side power meter. Same crank lengths, all that. Saddle is fine, no hip rocking.

As part of the fit I've got my left cleat shimmed 2 degrees to help with outside toe pain.

Interesting on the power meter; over a 20 to 25 mile ride, my left/right power distribution is normally 55% - 45% or more favoring the left side. Never in a million years would I have guessed that I had lop-sided power that much to the left based on feel alone. This is not a new, one-off experience as I've had the power meter long enough to see a consistency in these numbers.

Now my question. Could my legs be of different length and/or could the 2 degree shim on my left cleat be causing this? I'm thinking about adding a cleat riser to my right cleat. Do you think this might help? When I consciously pedal to even power, my left foot hurts even less than when I added the shims.

Any thoughts to get to even power balance, other than pedaling to even power based on the meter? I'd prefer to not watch it all the time.

Thanks.

Glenn
Old 08-18-22, 02:58 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Take out the shim and see what happens.

My prediction is that you will restore balance.
Old 08-18-22, 03:04 PM
GAtkins

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Take out the shim and see what happens.

My prediction is that you will restore balance.
For years I've dealt with the outside left toe issue. The shims have really helped in that regard, but not totally. I'm reluctant to try that as a first line solution. But maybe that would help the balance, but then how to re-fix the toe numbness issue?

Thanks.

Glenn
Old 08-18-22, 03:25 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Surprised your fitter didn't notice a leg length discrepancy. When I had a Retul fit mine did, and he gave me a cleat shim for the shorter leg.
Old 08-18-22, 03:30 PM
GAtkins

Originally Posted by surak
Surprised your fitter didn't notice a leg length discrepancy. When I had a Retul fit mine did, and he gave me a cleat shim for the shorter leg.
I'm not sure that there is a leg length discrepancy. As you know, those Retul fits are pretty comprehensive. He didn't say anything about one. Did he give you like a 2 degree shim or an a flat cleat spacer? That's why I'm wondering if a flat spacer on my right cleat might make up for the shim on my left cleat.

Thanks
Glenn
Old 08-18-22, 03:32 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by GAtkins
For years I've dealt with the outside left toe issue. The shims have really helped in that regard, but not totally. I'm reluctant to try that as a first line solution. But maybe that would help the balance, but then how to re-fix the toe numbness issue?

Thanks.

Glenn
Do you have another set of cleats without a shim? Or is the shim in the insole? I am not suggesting removing it permanently. But the scientist in me thinks you need an experimental control: power asymmetry in the absence of the shim.

(In my own case, I do have a leg length discrepancy. I tried a cleat shim and it was like torture. Now I just have one cleat set slightly further back.)
Old 08-18-22, 03:35 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
All,
I've had a professional fit at Specialized in Boulder, so I'm pretty dialed in. After the fit I got a Dura Ace two-side power meter. Same crank lengths, all that. Saddle is fine, no hip rocking.

As part of the fit I've got my left cleat shimmed 2 degrees to help with outside toe pain.

Interesting on the power meter; over a 20 to 25 mile ride, my left/right power distribution is normally 55% - 45% or more favoring the left side. Never in a million years would I have guessed that I had lop-sided power that much to the left based on feel alone. This is not a new, one-off experience as I've had the power meter long enough to see a consistency in these numbers.

Now my question. Could my legs be of different length and/or could the 2 degree shim on my left cleat be causing this? I'm thinking about adding a cleat riser to my right cleat. Do you think this might help? When I consciously pedal to even power, my left foot hurts even less than when I added the shims.

Any thoughts to get to even power balance, other than pedaling to even power based on the meter? I'd prefer to not watch it all the time.

Thanks.

Glenn
I have a imbalance as well perfectly normal and not something you can do a lot about or necessary need to.
Old 08-18-22, 03:35 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Glenn
Maybe I am mis-understanding. I am using shim as a noun, for some object you put between your cleat and your shoe, or possibly between your shoe and your insole.

If you are using this (as a verb) to mean the cleat is rotated 2°, disregard everything I said.
Old 08-18-22, 03:36 PM
GAtkins

Do you have another set of cleats without a shim? Or is the shim in the insole? I am not suggesting removing it permanently. But the scientist in me thinks you need an experimental control: power asymmetry in the absence of the shim.

(In my own case, I do have a leg length discrepancy. I tried a cleat shim and it was like torture. Now I just have one cleat set slightly further back.)
The shim is a separate part and is between the cleat and the bottom of the shoe, so easy to remove. Might should do a control. I do have custom insolse from Retul, however. Interesting on the "torture" and "further back."

Glenn
Old 08-18-22, 03:41 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I'm not sure that there is a leg length discrepancy. As you know, those Retul fits are pretty comprehensive. He didn't say anything about one. Did he give you like a 2 degree shim or an a flat cleat spacer? That's why I'm wondering if a flat spacer on my right cleat might make up for the shim on my left cleat.
I was fitted with a cleat shim (aka stacker) for the shorter leg along with both internal and cleat wedges.
Old 08-18-22, 03:41 PM
GAtkins

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I have a imbalance as well perfectly normal and not something you can do a lot about or necessary need to.
You're probably right, but the imbalance was something that got me to thinking "why" it was there and if there was anything I could do to fix it. As I mentioned above, when I watch the meter and try to get 50/50 it seems to help the pain in my outer left toes (numbness) more that just the shims in the left cleat do. Weird stuff.

Thanks.

Glenn
Old 08-18-22, 03:43 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The shim is a separate part and is between the cleat and the bottom of the shoe, so easy to remove. Might should do a control. I do have custom insolse from Retul, however. Interesting on the "torture" and "further back."

Glenn
As Edward Abbey would say, I have a tendency to over-exaggerate. But I did have to stop mid-ride and remove it.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-18-22, 03:44 PM
GAtkins

Originally Posted by surak
I was fitted with a cleat shim (aka stacker) for the shorter leg along with both internal and cleat wedges.
That's good to know. That's what got me thinking along the lines of my question. Thank you.
Old 08-18-22, 04:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Seems like if the shim solves our pain, you'll be able to put out more power longer. With pain you'll be inclined not to put out as much power for so long.

I wouldn't care what the left / right balance is.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-18-22, 04:30 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I've never measured my r/l power balance, but from what I have heard, it often diminishes at higher power output. Do you see any chages like that when you drope the hamer?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-18-22, 04:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I was diagnosed by a (cycling) PT (unrelated Achilles issues) with one leg 1/2" shorter. First 5 minutes as soon as she saw me walk. I now wear 1/2" lifts on every right heel and 1/4" plate shims between ever right cleat and the sole. Life changing. (Plate aluminum bent to fit the sole curvature. Not easy or fun to bend! Bench vise. sledgehammer and a very long lever.) Edit: raised the seat the 1/8" difference between the cleats.

For the first time ever, I sight down the center of the front wheel and bike frame. Fewer seat issues and sores. Ride no hands in no wind with the bike straight up and down and in line with it.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-18-22, 05:47 PM
GAtkins

I've never measured my r/l power balance, but from what I have heard, it often diminishes at higher power output. Do you see any chages like that when you drope the hamer?
I will pay attention to that.
Old 08-18-22, 05:57 PM
GAtkins

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I was diagnosed by a (cycling) PT (unrelated Achilles issues) with one leg 1/2" shorter. First 5 minutes as soon as she saw me walk. I now wear 1/2" lifts on every right heel and 1/4" plate shims between ever right cleat and the sole. Life changing. (Plate aluminum bent to fit the sole curvature. Not easy or fun to bend! Bench vise. sledgehammer and a very long lever.) Edit: raised the seat the 1/8" difference between the cleats.

For the first time ever, I sight down the center of the front wheel and bike frame. Fewer seat issues and sores. Ride no hands in no wind with the bike straight up and down and in line with it.
That's similar to my line of thinking. My first inclination is to put a flat cleat spacer between my right cleat and the sole and see what happens. I'm gonna use the factory made ones, which only go to 3mm or ~1/8 of an inch. Thank you.
Old 08-18-22, 08:43 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Here's another sick thought: could the difference be an artifact of the precision/accuracy of the two power meters? Is there any way to switch them? Can you get someone else to ride your bike and see if they have a similar imbalance?
Old 08-18-22, 09:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

That's similar to my line of thinking. My first inclination is to put a flat cleat spacer between my right cleat and the sole and see what happens. I'm gonna use the factory made ones, which only go to 3mm or ~1/8 of an inch. Thank you.
After the changes, shim and seat height, I told the PT. She said that's exactly what she would have told me to do.
Old 08-18-22, 09:38 PM
GAtkins

Here's another sick thought: could the difference be an artifact of the precision/accuracy of the two power meters? Is there any way to switch them? Can you get someone else to ride your bike and see if they have a similar imbalance?
I've heard anecdotally over time that some meters may not be dead on. But these are consistent anyway.

They are built into a Dura Ace crank set so I don't think there is a way to switch them out. I calibrate them nearly every time my Garmin 1040 asks.

I ride entirely alone and plus I ride a 62cm, both probably hindering factors for a test rider.

I can get them to 50/50 by paying attention and it doesn't feel unnatural pedaling that way. But when I just pedal there is that imbalance. Again, my left toes feel better at 50/50 because, I guess, it takes some load off my natural pedal stroke favoring that side. That brings me back full circle to thinking my right leg may be a little shorter. Having my left cleat shimmed at 4 degrees (not 4mm in flat rise) seems like it would compound a shorter right leg length. That led me to the thought of putting a flat spacer on my right cleat.

Heck, I don't know what I'm talking about. I guess everyone's right and I just need to experiment and see what happens.

Thanks.

Glenn
Likes For GAtkins:
Old 08-18-22, 09:42 PM
GAtkins

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
After the changes, shim and seat height, I told the PT. She said that's exactly what she would have told me to do.
Alrighty then, that's encouraging news. That's what I'll do. It's supposed to rain here for the next several days. I'll put some miles on and be back.

Thank you.
Glenn
Old 08-18-22, 09:55 PM
79pmooney

Alrighty then, that's encouraging news. That's what I'll do. It's supposed to rain here for the next several days. I'll put some miles on and be back.

Thank you.
Glenn
I have heard that the 50% "rule" (shim 50% of leg difference) is good for those with legs that are of similar proportions, ie one leg is a scaled version of the other, but doesn't work so well (or at all) if the discrepancy is largely in the thigh (or calf). I seem to be a scale factor guy so I haven't tried to stretch my brain to figure out what would work for the thigh and calf people.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-19-22, 09:10 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Interesting on the power meter; over a 20 to 25 mile ride, my left/right power distribution is normally 55% - 45% or more favoring the left side… Any thoughts to get to even power balance, other than pedaling to even power based on the meter? I'd prefer to not watch it all the time.
The easy solution is to not display L/R balance on your bike computer.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-21-22, 09:31 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Why is the idea of using a shorter crank arm for the shorter leg frowned upon (vs a shim)?

The problem I had when I tried a shim was that the stack height really made it hard to tolerate, whereas the shorter leg only bothers me if the saddle is at the high/optimum for the longer leg. (This difference is small enough that I didn't notice it existed until my bike fitter/framebuilder mentioned it to me, but I can feel one leg can be over-extended when the other is comfortable.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.