Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Pinched seat post, worth the trouble?

Old 09-26-22, 01:05 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 139 Posts
Pinched seat tube, worth the trouble?

Raleigh TEAM 853 frame set, just about my size, would be a bit of a winter project, but one glaring problem....
Seller says it's just deformed and not cracked. I sort of know him and he's proven to be reliable in the past.

In this case I have my doubts though and it would be half a day's worth of traveling to go look at it in person.

Paint is not a problem, would strip and respray

Last edited by Mackers; 09-26-22 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Seat tube, dammit!
Old 09-26-22, 02:25 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 328 Posts
Given that it’s “just about” your size and a long trip away, I’d probably pass. If it were close and I was interested I’d look at it in person to assess the damage.
Old 09-27-22, 03:26 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Is that Reynolds 853 steel, or something else?

I'm having troubles orienting your photo. How far down is the pinch in the seattube?

If the flaw is down in the middle of the seattube, you could probably just fill it and paint over. Possibly find something to press it back out, but not necessarily. Silver Braze?

If the flaw is near the top, then you'll have troubles with your seatpost unless you can actually get the tube pushed back round before repairing.
Old 09-27-22, 04:14 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Unless getting that particular frame has special meaning, pass. I rarely, if ever, spend money and then effort (meaning time and probably more money) on a frame that has suffered structural damage (structural damage = dented, bent or cracked - serious rust pitting also falls into the pass category). Of course, that is just me.
Old 09-27-22, 04:18 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
All depends on the cost, selling price...
Old 09-28-22, 12:33 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 139 Posts
$50, probably worth it for the fork alone.
Reynolds 853 tubing which is why when the front derailleur clamp was overtightened it pinched the tube.

All academic now, decided to let it be.
Old 09-28-22, 01:46 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Ahh... down at the derailleur mount. That is a moderate stress area. But, fill it with your silver solder.

Then braze one of these onto the frame. No more clamps.

Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-28-22, 10:59 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
boils down to how many hours and dollars you're willing to give on this. if the answer is "limited" then keep walking. if the answer is "I'm looking for a project and I don't mind spending time and money" then have at it. but I don't think you've really found anything especially special.
Old 09-28-22, 12:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I picked up a Pro Miyata from a forumite I didn't know with rust, paint issues and almost given, other issues for probably too much money last summer. His photos were excellent so only issues that were well hidden and he would not have known yet were there.

And? I got a frame that is true, stiff, fits like a dream, rides like the very best of the mid-80s race bikes and is a joy! (Well the fork blades are spread 5mm. Too stiff for an easy squeeze; like good high quality tubing. I'll address them when I set up a jig and decide to get real in some future year. The seat pin threads stripped the second or third seat height adjust. That rust. A very serviceable and not bad looking SS Ace Hardware bolt and nut is now doing the job.

The bike will never look the part it should for what I paid. But - I got a dream ride, a bike that takes me back to the bike I raced and loved, only a decade later and better. Now set up with almost the wheels I trained and club raced. Gel330s and Conti 22mm Giros. (Then it was Arc en Ciels and Vittoria (but branded otherwise) 300g cottons.) Small slice of heaven.

And for those who care - I believe this was a Superbe equipped bike. FD, RD and unmarked brakes came with it but were so rusted they are a future project. Put on some almost NOS Cyclone brakes, an old Cyclone RD and newish Cyclone FD. (The brakes because they are so short. And with the pads pushed all the way up, fit is perfect. Did I say mid '80s race? Yup, tires are that close! FD spanning a 52-42-30 Campy crankset works perfect. RD didn't have enough spring to get the small cog so I wrapped bungie cord around the parallelogram. Blue to match the paint and it works perfect! I never think about it and wouldn't mention it but I noticed it yesterday moving the bike. Hubs - not perfect but they work just fine. Rear is a probably Taiwan OEM 7-speed FW. Saches 12-26. (I have a bunch of nicer hubs but finding rears with straight axles is a challenge!) Front is an older Campy low flange. Satin finish, no oil cap so it may be a Tipo. Sapim 2.0-1.6 DB, 2.0-1.8 RR, 3X.