Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sigh - about to retire one (old Litespeed content )

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-22, 12:06 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts

This is a rant of sorts more than anything. Bike is in that ethereal age range where it miiiiight be considered C&V or might not , but ive had this thing forever it seems

a bit over a year ago, i sold a very nice late model S-Works Tarmac to fund a mountain bike build, - thinking i would simply dust off my old Litespeed frameset -- , build it up with a 10 speed Record parts kit i had lying about - and ride off into the sunset - Ti being a "lifetime" frame material and all that . (It was first "retired" a decade ago when it was replaced with a carbon Cannondale Synapse , - and the Tarmac replaced that ) - so this will be its second retirement )

After giving this awesome bike quite a few chances, i have come to the unhealthy conclusion that i just can't get comfortable on it anymore with the top tube reach and saddle drop involved (which is by no means extreme at all - as the photos attest ) --- Every ride has ended in pain and soreness and i am unwilling to explore the possibility of installing a longer fork or performing some other dodgy modifications to try and squeeze a few more miles out of it ( you dont put an orthopedic back pillow in your Ferrari --- LOL) - the bike just needs a younger rider who is in better shape. And this particular frameset doesnt have that "magical Ti ride" people rave about -- due to the larger diameter tubes, the bike is a solid handling machine with a ride quality more in line with big tube aluminum

The frameset has some sentimental value or i'd just put it up for sale and wipe my hands of it , ---- but now i'm going to free up this quite nice and great performing parts kit and build up something steel frfom my C&V collection and a bit more mellow. I've got a couple of choices there, or i could just keep it together for a while and keep working on the 'ol beer belly

But for now - so long old friend - you're getting moved from the garage to my loft - where operational bicycles get sent to retire

Old 09-30-22, 12:34 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
What about a threadless stem with a more extreme upward angle? I have a 35-degree one on my old MTB, but I think even a 17-degree one would give you more lift.

In dialing in my Mercian, I noticed that sliding my quill stem up a few mm made the difference between neck pain and no neck pain.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 09-30-22, 01:02 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
I love 10 speed Record, so as long as that's going on your new ride, finding something that doesn't hurt is the right choice.
Old 09-30-22, 01:51 PM
dpd3672

Bikes: 02 Cervelo P2K, 07 Cervelo P2SL, 07 Cervelo Soloist, 09 Cervelo RS, 96 Quintana Roo Kilo, 80 Chicago Schwinn Letour, 12 Motobecane Nemesis, 97 Kona AA, 97 Cannondale f700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Seems a shame to let such a nice bike go to pasture. Are you sure your issues can't be solved with a different saddle/seat post/stem/bars or fitting?

I'm not a doctor, but as a fellow guy who's getting older...your body doesn't change THAT much as you age.
Old 09-30-22, 02:32 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
Pass it on then n+1
Old 09-30-22, 02:54 PM
retroshifter
too many bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Some things about getting older suck. My middle age body wouldn’t even attempt to ride a bike set up like that. I think you are right to retire that bike, but I agree it’s a bit sad. That said there are lots of C&V frames out there using super adjustable quill stems to dial in the best set up for you even as you age.
Old 09-30-22, 08:05 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,407 Posts
Sell it - let someone use it, get a thrill out of it, really enjoy it, and use some of those funds to play around with something that feels more healthy for you. Good luck!
Old 10-01-22, 06:16 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
The saddle to bar drop looks a bit much for a 20 something especially with almost no reach on the stem. It’s like you’re basically doing a crunch the whole ride. I definitely recommend trying a stem with a bit more elevation. How does the size, reach, saddle height etc compare to your other bikes?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-01-22, 10:27 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
When I look at that set up, I'd say the frame is too small for you,... by a lot. I suspect it cannot be remedied by component selection, it's just too small.

Don't buy a brand name or a tubing material or paint job - get a bike that fits.
Old 10-01-22, 10:45 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,874 Times in 1,078 Posts
handlebar is much too low - excessively low

as for the ride - ? - is next size up tire and lower pressure an option ?
Old 10-01-22, 11:03 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
I second noobinsf's suggestion of a different stem, and take it one step further.

What about an adjustable stem - a decent one, like a Ritchey - that's considerably stiffer than the average (poorly built) adjustable stem?

I put one on my wife's Madone, and that last cm of adjustment made a world of difference for her.

Even if you didn't want to keep the adjustable stem permanently, it might help dial in the exact rise / reach you need. Then you can get a non-adjustable stem in that dimension.
Old 10-01-22, 11:44 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
When I look at that set up, I'd say the frame is too small for you,... by a lot. I suspect it cannot be remedied by component selection, it's just too small.

Don't buy a brand name or a tubing material or paint job - get a bike that fits.
i’m the original owner - bikes a 53, I’m 5’7”

stack height is just too low now that I’m nursing a German boiler

its already got a zero offset post and a short reach stem —. If I went up to a 55 , top tube would just be too long

Last edited by DMC707; 10-01-22 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-01-22, 11:50 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
How does the size, reach, saddle height etc compare to your other bikes?

also a 53 , but with all day comfort. (Seat is level and bars are not up-turned that severely - kinda getting a fisheye effect with my photos)

also a 53 I can ride all day. - drops are early Cinelli deep drops so i pretty much just stay on the hoods here though

Last edited by DMC707; 10-01-22 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-01-22, 11:58 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 1,574 Times in 731 Posts
Ignore the heretical incantations for modification, a new bike is clearly called for.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 10-01-22, 12:17 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I’d say you should definitely try a stem that will get you upright. I’m on the third stem on this Boarala but frankly I think it just needs to go.

the top photo is the original build and the bottom is how it is now. Much better but still not perfect.

I kinda want to put these wheels in a early’80s MTB/ATB with a real long wheelbase.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 10-01-22, 12:24 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Ignore the heretical incantations for modification, a new bike is clearly called for.
Old 10-01-22, 12:48 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
This is a rant of sorts more than anything. Bike is in that ethereal age range where it miiiiight be considered C&V or might not , but ive had this thing forever it seems

a bit over a year ago, i sold a very nice late model S-Works Tarmac to fund a mountain bike build, - thinking i would simply dust off my old Litespeed frameset -- , build it up with a 10 speed Record parts kit i had lying about - and ride off into the sunset - Ti being a "lifetime" frame material and all that . (It was first "retired" a decade ago when it was replaced with a carbon Cannondale Synapse , - and the Tarmac replaced that ) - so this will be its second retirement )

After giving this awesome bike quite a few chances, i have come to the unhealthy conclusion that i just can't get comfortable on it anymore with the top tube reach and saddle drop involved (which is by no means extreme at all - as the photos attest ) --- Every ride has ended in pain and soreness and i am unwilling to explore the possibility of installing a longer fork or performing some other dodgy modifications to try and squeeze a few more miles out of it ( you dont put an orthopedic back pillow in your Ferrari --- LOL) - the bike just needs a younger rider who is in better shape. And this particular frameset doesnt have that "magical Ti ride" people rave about -- due to the larger diameter tubes, the bike is a solid handling machine with a ride quality more in line with big tube aluminum

The frameset has some sentimental value or i'd just put it up for sale and wipe my hands of it , ---- but now i'm going to free up this quite nice and great performing parts kit and build up something steel frfom my C&V collection and a bit more mellow. I've got a couple of choices there, or i could just keep it together for a while and keep working on the 'ol beer belly

But for now - so long old friend - you're getting moved from the garage to my loft - where operational bicycles get sent to retire

* deleted *
Old 10-01-22, 02:40 PM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by DMC707
i’m the original owner - bikes a 53, I’m 5’7”

stack height is just too low now that I’m nursing a German boiler

its already got a zero offset post and a short reach stem —. If I went up to a 55 , top tube would just be too long
I have no idea what a "German boiler" is but I'll reiterate my advice - get a bike that fits. It has to provide good fit to your leg length and to your combined (torso + arm) length.

JMO, that large vertical offset between the height of the seat and the depth of the bar tops is an indicator of trouble (poor fit). As I said, JMO.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 10-01-22 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-01-22, 06:47 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,874 Times in 1,078 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I’d say you should definitely try a stem that will get you upright. I’m on the third stem on this Boarala but frankly I think it just needs to go.

the top photo is the original build and the bottom is how it is now. Much better but still not perfect.

I kinda want to put these wheels in a early’80s MTB/ATB with a real long wheelbase.
would a handlebar with a different bend help ?

the hoods / brake levers appear to be fairly low on that handlebar due to the bend (?)
Old 10-02-22, 05:35 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by t2p
would a handlebar with a different bend help ?

the hoods / brake levers appear to be fairly low on that handlebar due to the bend (?)
Perhaps. I’ve actually been considering a what do call it North Road bar or Dove bar but I’m not certain the shifter will fit them.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-03-22, 11:07 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
I have no idea what a "German boiler" is but I'll reiterate my advice - get a bike that fits. It has to provide good fit to your leg length and to your combined (torso + arm) length.

JMO, that large vertical offset between the height of the seat and the depth of the bar tops is an indicator of trouble (poor fit). As I said, JMO.

Its code for a beer belly

and i think you for your insights - but clearly its been a while since you've pinned on a number and lined up for your local criterium. (but obviously - its been a while for me too or i wouldnt be sad about the bike ) - Race fit can be a bit more aggressive than JRO fit (Just riding around ) - but it still has to work for ideally a few hours

Im going to have to break out the tape measure and compare the numbers to my Italian bikes - the saddle top to bar top height differential doesnt seem that far off, but Litespeed's geometry could be quite a bit longer
Old 10-03-22, 01:20 PM
Bad Lag

German boiler = LOL! Good one.

Thoughts of racing are long since over for me. For me, it is now about fitness.

Perhaps, it is time to adjust the bike set up to your aging body and current physical situation. Sometimes half an inch one way or the other makes a big difference in comfort, especially if it reduces an over-extension (as opposed to not extending far enough).

Ten years ago, I bought a new stem that was 20 mm shorter than my youthful 120 mm version. Now, I'm wondering if an 80 or 90 mm would be better still.

I started comparing and measuring your bikes using some computer tools I have but, sorry, did not finish.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 10-03-22 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-04-22, 03:31 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
DMC707,
Sounds like you might be willing to part with that bike we spoke about eons ago.......
PM, me if you interested.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 10-04-22, 03:41 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I do a simple TT size measurement. I rest my elbow on the front nose of the saddle and reach forward to the handlebars. If my fingers reach the bars, good. If my fingers are short of the bar, time for a shorter stem. Fingers past the bar, time for a longer stem. I use a lot of dirt drop type stems to get the bars ~ level with the saddle.