Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you wash your bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-21, 08:00 PM
Stateguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Was wondering how everyone cleans there bike
i was told not use a hose
i just brought a fat bike and want to know how to get the salt off
is there any products to use
how do you folks clean your bike
Old 11-07-21, 08:25 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 376 Posts
That's the neat part!
I DON'T!!!
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 11-07-21, 08:32 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
That's the neat part!
I DON'T!!!
Likes For atwl77:
Old 11-07-21, 08:35 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by Stateguy
I think that's a reference to firing high pressure water from a hose? Yeah, I think that's a no-no unless you're in a pro team with pro mechanics and replaceable bikes.

But I do use a hose, just not in high pressure. Just to get the bike wet, then wipe down with wet cloth.
Also degreaser on the chain and cassette, then hose with not-high-pressure water to wash it away.
Old 11-07-21, 08:37 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts

When I do…but that’s not often…a car wash does the trick. If you have loose bearing hubs, headset and bottom bracket keep the high pressure spray away from them. Most car washes have a low and high presssure setting. Just use the low pressure near the bearings.

If you have cartridge bearings in those locations, spray away. There is a GCN video out there where they put a pressure washer directly on the bearing and got no penetration.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-07-21, 09:00 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Usually, I just wipe the frame down with a cloth sprayed with Lemon Pledge, degrease the drivetrain parts, wipe them off, and lube the chain. If the bike's gotten muddy, I'll use the "shower" setting on my hose nozzle for the frame and wheels, then wipe and polish with dry rags. If you get in the habit of giving it a five-minute wipe-down after every couple of rides, you'll rarely have to deal with a major cleaning.

Last edited by Rolla; 11-07-21 at 09:03 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-07-21, 09:45 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I wash and wax my bikes regularly. I use dish detergent most of the time, but for really tough areas Simple Green works well. A coat of car wax does a good job of making it easier to clean the next time. It also keeps the bike looking nice.

This is part of a sequence of pictures I used in a bike maintenance class. Gentle, fine spray from a hose will not hurt anything.

A toothbrush, a small brush, and a sponge are all you need, unless you are doing a deep cleaning and lubrication.

[

Last edited by Doug64; 11-07-21 at 09:55 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 11-07-21, 09:53 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
I think that's a reference to firing high pressure water from a hose? Yeah, I think that's a no-no unless you're in a pro team with pro mechanics and replaceable bikes.

But I do use a hose, just not in high pressure. Just to get the bike wet, then wipe down with wet cloth.
Also degreaser on the chain and cassette, then hose with not-high-pressure water to wash it away.
This is just not true. I was one for over 10 years. The last thing any team mechanic wants to do is build another bike unnecessarily. I've fired lots of high pressure water at lots of bikes for lots of years. Use your brain and it's not a problem.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-07-21, 10:02 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by cxwrench
This is just not true. I was one for over 10 years. The last thing any team mechanic wants to do is build another bike unnecessarily. I've fired lots of high pressure water at lots of bikes for lots of years. Use your brain and it's not a problem.
I think you mischaracterized my meaning of "replaceable bikes". I don't mean it in the way where they get rebuilt unnecessarily, but the fact that pro teams get practically brand new bikes every year (or at least every time the sponsor/manufacturer releases a new model), is the meaning I was going for.

Also it's easy to say "use your brain" for those of us who are careful and know what to look out for, but if the intent is to convey advice to random strangers on the Internet who may read this message days/months/years from now on, I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and don't assume they'll be competent enough to direct the high pressure jet appropriately and responsibly (not referring to the OP, but this is a public forum and any Tom, Dick and Harry can find and read it, after all).
Old 11-07-21, 10:43 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
When my chain picks up enough dirt from my daily rides its time to clean the bike.

1 - Clean the chain. I use automatic transmission fluid just squirting it on the chain without getting it on the tires then wiping with a towel till I get the crud off.

2 - I use a soft long bristle hand brush and laundry soap. I brush and lather the entire bike top to bottom, front to back.

3 - I then rinse all the soap off.

4 - I blow it with a leaf blower to remove as much water as possible. I might let it dry a little but most of the time I don't.

5 - I then spray it completely with a thick coat of Armour All tire foam (Brand Specific). I get everything especially the spoke nipples. The tire foam spares and protects paint and synthetic materials as well as leaving a fine coat of most likely silicone on the surfaces.

5 - I hit it with the leaf blower again then with a clean rag go over everything getting the foam off and leaving a nice shine.

6 - Finally I lubricate, tighten, adjust, and inspect everything. I don't use special lubricants, just Marine Grease, ATF, 30 Weight Motor Oil, and on very special occasions CPL.

If the bike is not too dirty then I'll just hit it with the foam and do a good wipe down. Also note the other tire foams are not proven. They could damage the paint. The ArmorAll has not hurt anything on my bikes in well over15 years of use.

Last edited by zandoval; 11-07-21 at 10:49 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 11-07-21, 10:55 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I use diluted Simple Green in a spray bottle.

Hose it off with the nozzle set on mist.

Dry chain and re-apply White Lightning.

Lube derailleurs, brake calipers with TriFlow.

Every so often, remove guide and tension pulleys; clean and lube with TriFlow.

John
Old 11-07-21, 11:09 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
A good hosing and wash down with rag and water.
I've never had a problem in 50 yrs of doing it this way.
Old 11-08-21, 12:04 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
sponge and a bucket of warm soapy water. Then rinse it off with a hose set on shower, not jet. Wipe off the excess water with an old towel, let it dry, than lube all the bits that need lubing. I look after the mechanicals regularly - I wash the bike every few months, so it works better than it looks.
Old 11-08-21, 05:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
maybe it depends on the circumstances. this weekend rode the MTB thru some mud & water. got plenty of buildup under the fenders & on the tires. still have the hose hooked up, so gave it a quick spray. stayed away from the wheel bearings & bottom bracket
Old 11-08-21, 07:07 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I haven't washed a bike in three years. I do something akin to a sponge bath infrequently, without spraying water. This is especially true in winter months, when my hose bibs are off.

Normally, a wipe down while lubricating the drivetrain is all that you need.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 11-08-21, 07:39 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
I use this, don’t normally buy it from Amazon though, directly from Griots, or local Autozone.
Tim

Old 11-08-21, 07:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
If there's salt on the bike, like the O.P.'s bike, the normal "wipe it down with Lemon Pledge" approach won't work. You need water to rinse the salt off.

I start cleaning and lubing the chain. Do this first instead of last so your chain lube doesn't seal water inside the chain.

Option 1, a good squirt of Dawn in a bucket of warm to hot water. Using a good brush, start with the bars, work your way down and back. Finish with the wheels (don't forget the spokes) and the cassette. You don't need to rinse the Dawn off.

Option 2, spray water at a low flow rate. I figure if I can see the individual drops' trajectory turning down, it's not going to penetrate any bearings. Wash with detergent of your choice, brush, sponge, or rag, and rinse.

It's best if you can let the bike stand in the sun for an hour or so to dry off, but balance that "goodness" with the possibility your bike will ride off under a thief. Picnic on the porch while the bike's in front of you in the sun? Great! Bike left leaning against the side of the garage while you take a shower indoors? Not good.
Old 11-08-21, 08:11 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
I only wash my bikes with soap and water about once a year, or if they get particularly muddy. But if you're fighting salt, that's a different story. Whoever told you not to use a hose was wrong. Like others have said, just use common sense with high-pressure water. When I was touring, every few days I'd visit a carwash and hose her down - no harm done. It actually doesn't require a lot of pressure to clean a bike anyway.

I like the tire foam idea - I'll have to give that a try.
Old 11-08-21, 08:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Do whatever you care to do. If that's hose it down with a garden hose, go for it. I find just wiping it off with a moist towelette easy and can be done inside with the comfort of my HVAC.

When I ride in the rain, I'll sit a box fan in front of my bike to circulate air around all those spaces that are too tight to get a towel in to dry it, so if you do use a hose, maybe consider using the fan to help it dry quick.

Pressure washer? I haven't ever needed to, but if it was dirty and gunky enough I would. Just try not to blast the axles with the wand close to it or else you might force water past the seals and into the bearings. But if you hold the wand back like they say to in the machines instructions, you are probably good. Then, like before, try to do something to dry it off. And again, a fan works wonders for lazy people like me.
Old 11-08-21, 08:20 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
Stateguy if you’re washing salt off a fat bike, that describes a winter scenario, so a lot of the advice above is probably not practical unless you have a particularly suited facility to work in. For example, up until I sold my business last year, I had a heated warehouse with a truck bay, floor drain, hose and equipment at my disposal anytime, so that was deluxe.

Last winter I had to re-adapt my cleaning regimen of 12 years to an unheated home garage scenario. I’ve been using a wash/rinse program with a hand-pressurized, 1gal. garden sprayer. First I fill the sprayer with warm water and rinse down the bike, getting the big dirt off. I then use a little car wash— I like a shampoo with ceramic component— in a bucket with a brush (or rag) to hand wash the bike, followed by a spray down rinse, and a detailer spray and a towel dry to finish.

The nice thing a out the garden sprayer is that it’s very parsimonious with the water, so I can use it in the garage without getting everything wet or worrying about runoff freezing on the driveway. Its got a little pressure to knock stuff loose, and the tiny wand head lets me work around the bike very precisely using only as much water as needed.

Really, it works great, so much so that I found myself using the sprayer this summer even though I have just as ready access to garden hoses with sprayer heads and an electric pressure washer, too. It’s just so easy and efficient, although admittedly doesn’t develop enough pressure to really blast out gummed-up cassettes. A $20 Park Tool cleaning kit with the cassette scraper is a charm tool for that, and just for general cleaning, too.

Lastly, a propane heater for my garage was a smart addition to the arsenal, making winter chores like that much less burdensome.
Old 11-08-21, 08:23 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
A gentle hose sprayer, some diluted Simple Green and a soft brush works well.

I creamic-coated all my painted surfaces so the dust pretty much just rolls right off with the water. It's a lot like a really good and durable wax job.
Old 11-08-21, 08:27 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I haven't washed a bike in three years. I do something akin to a sponge bath infrequently, without spraying water. This is especially true in winter months, when my hose bibs are off.

Normally, a wipe down while lubricating the drivetrain is all that you need.
Hose bibs [sic] is a term I didn’t know! I was pretty sure it was what I simply call a spigot or tap, but is apparently more specific in that a bibb always has a threaded fitting for a hose whereas a spigot or tap does not. The things I learn on BF…
Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-08-21, 09:18 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
maybe it depends on the circumstances. this weekend rode the MTB thru some mud & water. got plenty of buildup under the fenders & on the tires. still have the hose hooked up, so gave it a quick spray. stayed away from the wheel bearings & bottom bracket
There’s a reason you don’t use fenders on a mountain bike. Just sayin’.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-08-21, 09:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
There’s a reason you don’t use fenders on a mountain bike. Just sayin’.
like you I have lots of clearance, if that was the reason you were referring to? or ... it doesn't matter cuz everything is gonna get dirty anyway?
Old 11-08-21, 09:56 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
...so it works better than it looks.

That's the ticket!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.