Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Going without saddlebag

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Going without saddlebag

Old 04-08-22, 07:46 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2642 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Going without saddlebag

One of The Rules is being self sufficient, but do you think it’s obnoxious for a rider to go without a saddlebag because they know that if they get a flat someone will be bound to have a spare tube on them? The only time this didn’t work is when I needed a crescent wrench and didn’t know some multitools have one.
Old 04-08-22, 07:48 AM
Velogoth

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts
Yes I do.
Likes For Velogoth:
Old 04-08-22, 07:58 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
I don't own a cell phone because I know I can always borrow one in an emergency. I may be obnoxious or possibly, just cheap.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 04-08-22, 08:05 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
One of The Rules is being self sufficient, but do you think it’s obnoxious for a rider to go without a saddlebag because they know that if they get a flat someone will be bound to have a spare tube on them? The only time this didn’t work is when I needed a crescent wrench and didn’t know some multitools have one.
I think the technical term for this kind of behavior is "moocher."
Old 04-08-22, 08:15 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I've never thought of being self-sufficient as being a rule. Just a very good idea. If you ride with a group that doesn't care if you have tubes, levers, etc. and you don't mind risking riding solo without said implements it's not for me to tell you what to do. Better to ask those you ride with.
Old 04-08-22, 08:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Last year there was a thread and someone posted about how instead of just carrying a spare tube, they will call someone and make them drive 40min so they can be picked up.
That seems a bit extreme to me. But its apparently very OK to someone else. There is no consensus, Larry.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-08-22, 08:21 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
No saddlebag .... no shirt.
Old 04-08-22, 08:34 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
You can carry the tube, levers and mini pump in your jersey pocket.
Old 04-08-22, 08:42 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I am a big believer in being self-sufficient... I think it is foolish, selfish and irresponsible for a cyclists to go out riding and not carry a basic repair kit with them. I would not associate myself with people who intentionally refuse to prepare for emergencies because they always expect somebody else to bail them out.
Old 04-08-22, 08:47 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by bruce19
I've never thought of being self-sufficient as being a rule. Just a very good idea. If you ride with a group that doesn't care if you have tubes, levers, etc. and you don't mind risking riding solo without said implements it's not for me to tell you what to do. Better to ask those you ride with.
The people I ride with don't stop for people with mechanical issues. I try to carry a some cash for a tube , but frankly idk if anyone has ever accepted it, lots of people are nice and are happy to help. I don't expect someone to stop and help me, but it will pretty much invariably happen so i can rely on it, if that makes sense.
Old 04-08-22, 08:55 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I try to carry a some cash for a tube
This doesn't make sense to me...Why would you carry cash for a tube instead of just carrying a spare tube.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-08-22, 08:58 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
You can carry the tube, levers and mini pump in your jersey pocket.
He doesn't wear a jersey.
Old 04-08-22, 09:10 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Duct tape that stuff to your back.
Old 04-08-22, 09:19 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Tell you what - I have a couple saddle bags I'll never use. I'll bring them to the May C&V ride, and if you swing by at the start (10 AM, same place we met a couple months back), you can have one. That way you won't have to "Blanche DuBois" your way through rides.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-08-22, 09:26 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
I won't stop ! especially for a shirtless anything...
I'm big on lessons learned from thoughtlessness...

My truly ONE sexist, un-PC characteristic - I would only stop for a female of my chosing... LOL!
or
anyone under the age of 12 - gotta make sure the kids are ok...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 04-08-22, 09:37 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
The people I ride with don't stop for people with mechanical issues. I try to carry a some cash for a tube , but frankly idk if anyone has ever accepted it, lots of people are nice and are happy to help. I don't expect someone to stop and help me, but it will pretty much invariably happen so i can rely on it, if that makes sense.
As I stated in the last LarrySellerz thread; on the spectrum. If he doesn’t end up on my “ignore” list, I only have myself to blame.

Larry, these two posts combined suggest you’re attempting to sort out acceptable social norms and behaviors. Or, you enjoy engaging in antisocial behavior in a uniquely digital way. Ultimately, the lesson here is for me to stop expecting meaningful content or contributions from you.

The simplest remedy is for me to immediately ignore your threads, which I will do. I accept my responsibility in this. To the extent your posts invade into others’ threads, I may add you to my Ignore list. Naturally, I doubt that you understand or care, as such is the nature of being on the spectrum. I’m only posting this on the off chance that you have access to the help you need and can use this post as a source of discussion.

Take care of yourself Larry.
Old 04-08-22, 09:39 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by cyclezen
I won't stop ! especially for a shirtless anything...
I'm big on lessons learned from thoughtlessness...

My truly ONE sexist, un-PC characteristic - I would only stop for a female of my chosing... LOL!
or
anyone under the age of 12 - gotta make sure the kids are ok...
Ride On
Yuri
There are enough people around here that its fine if you don't stop, someone else will. I ask everyone on the side of the road if they are OK and need help. I don't carry tools or know much about fixing bikes, but want people to know that someone cares and is looking out for them.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 04-08-22, 09:42 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
I'd rather be mostly self sufficient, but I understand that a lot of people aren't that familiar with bikes or mechanics so either don't consider breaking down, or will do what car drivers do and call for a ride home.

I'm fairly competent mechanically, but beyond a tube repair or something involving some minor spanner/screwdriver work then I'm just getting a taxi back to my car.
Old 04-08-22, 09:49 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Going without a saddlebag?

No saddlebag. I find they come loose and get lost too easily in my collisions with pedestrians and automobiles when I run red lights and blindly blast across crosswalks.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 04-08-22, 09:51 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
In all seriousness, I don't carry tubes or a phone, and often no tools. Yes, I've had to do a few REALLY long walks (and at least one or two train rides) over the years, just to get home. Whatever. Makes for some good stories thirty years later.

I would never think to ask for tubes or tools from another rider; I just suffer the consequences of my own making.
Old 04-08-22, 09:56 AM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 66 Posts
If I'm just going on a 20-ish mile ride out of my front door by myself and it's not critical I get anywhere in a timely fashion as I'm just looping back home, I don't bother as worst case I just walk home. My roommate also doesn't mind if I give him a ring if need be to get picked up,

When I take the bike to work, I definitely bring supplies to patch a flat as time is of the essence. I also have my backpack on me so it's easy to carry repair stuff.

When I do go on group rides, they're small, usually 4-5 of us, and we always make sure someone has a patch kit with them (usually my brother) and they're always happy to help anyone. Due to the small size of the group, if one person stops with an issue, we all stop to help fix it anyways, so it makes it unnecessary for each person to have a patch kit.

That being said, I've been meaning to get a small saddlebag to carry a patch kit for my rides but keep forgetting to get one.

Lastly, I'll stop for anyone if it looks like they're having issues, whether it's a cyclist, a car, motorcycle, tractor, I'll pick up hitch hikers in my car, whatever. I like helping people and don't judge on a lack of skills or tools to repair a problem. It has never even once crossed my mind to think less of someone just because they don't have a patch kit. Not everyone is going to have one and that's okay. If you have one, great, and be willing to share. Don't be stingy just because you forgot your 8 foot ladder to climb down off your high horse.
Old 04-08-22, 10:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

There are enough people around here that its fine if you don't stop, someone else will. I ask everyone on the side of the road if they are OK and need help. I don't carry tools or know much about fixing bikes, but want people to know that someone cares and is looking out for them.
That's great, till you're riding somewhere at a time or place where few other riders ride. Oh, you COULD just stick to places where there are lots of riders, but, dude, you're a young guy, and sooner or later you'll want to do things like climbing West Alpine, and you might wait a LONG TIME for someone to pass by.

I carry a pump, a spare tube, tire levers, a patch kit, and a multitool. ALWAYS. The thing about asking for someone else's spare tube is not that it cost them maybe $5 or so. It's that, once you've taken THEIR spare tube they don't have a spare tube anymore. You're making them ride at risk of having to make The Call Of Shame, when you could easily carry your own stuff.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-08-22, 10:09 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Kedosto
As I stated in the last LarrySellerz thread; on the spectrum. If he doesn’t end up on my “ignore” list, I only have myself to blame.

Larry, these two posts combined suggest you’re attempting to sort out acceptable social norms and behaviors. Or, you enjoy engaging in antisocial behavior in a uniquely digital way. Ultimately, the lesson here is for me to stop expecting meaningful content or contributions from you.

The simplest remedy is for me to immediately ignore your threads, which I will do. I accept my responsibility in this. To the extent your posts invade into others’ threads, I may add you to my Ignore list. Naturally, I doubt that you understand or care, as such is the nature of being on the spectrum. I’m only posting this on the off chance that you have access to the help you need and can use this post as a source of discussion.

Take care of yourself Larry.
If you really think he's On The Spectrum, why don't you just piss off and ignore him instead of announcing your drive-by diagnosis and flouncing?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-08-22, 10:12 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

If you don't know much about fixing bikes, learn. This place is an excellent resource, and if you're going to depend on picking up clapped-out junker bikes and riding them in groups with others, you really owe it to the riders around you to make them work as well as they can.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-08-22, 10:18 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
I always stopped, for many years... But eventually I also learn... In the recent 20 ish yrs there are way more clueless riding...
Last time I stopped for someone who needed help... He was about 10 yrs younger (I was 65 ish...) (he had pinch flat on rear of 1st tube) he was trying to get his 'replacement' tube pumped up... not holding air...
took out my tube to give to him... he took off the 2nd tube - we looked at it - he had TORN the valve internally, at the stem...
gave him my spare... he put it in, with some coaching to minimize risk of pinching during install... proceeded to put on his hand pump and started pumpin and yankin on the pump.... I tried to coach him on how to properly hold and use pump... before he would stop and listen, he TORE the valve on the tube I gave him...
I said bye...
... I was still 15 mi. out from my finish... and had I had a flat, I would have had to 'patch' the tube in the wheel... evening was getting dark...
nope... other dumb bunnies are no longer my concern...
... I do stop for riders I know...

... why would YOU ask anyone else if"They are OK" ; since you don;t have anything which could possibly help? cash? give it to them as a 'boot? ROTFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you must a a construct of the matrix... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.