Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fall / winter jersey / jacket reco for long arms?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-17-22, 12:50 PM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

I am at the point of just simply wearing my summer hear with arm warmers. I have not met a long sleeve jersey that would go down to my wrist and stay there. The only thing I have that does this is Pearl Izumi jacket with thumb loops. Need something that would be race cut, warm and long in arms without going XXL. Ideas?
Old 08-17-22, 01:08 PM
GGDaddy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I wear a 37-38" shirt sleeve length, yet am thin enough to need a size medium. These all have sleeves that work for me:

They don't necessarily go all the way to my thumb, but close enough that I'm happy with them. Particularly the Santini, which has really good wrist coverage. I also wear thin wrist gaiters to close the gap to my gloves, and it's a winning combo. In particular, I like these a lot:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Santini COLORE PURO - THERMAL JERSEY fits me great. I've tried other Santini jerseys that didn't work quite as well, so those can be hit & miss—but they honor returns. Good luck!

Edited to add: for jackets, I love the Santini Adapt for 32-60 degrees Fahrenheit. Bontrager Softshell also has sleeves that work for that temperature range. For below freezing my Bontrager Velocis S2 Softshell is ridiculously warm. Note that the two Bontrager jackets I mentioned do not have wind protection, so you'll need to include something windproof (I usually use a GORE Windstopper base layer which does the trick). The Santini Adapt is windproof (and water resistant) so you can use a thinner base layer that isn't necessarily windproof.

The two Bontrager jackets are old model years, and probably aren't available. But worth seeing what they launch for the cold-weather season since their sleeves are long enough..

This year I'm going to see if I can afford an Assos Johdah (pronounced "Yoda," apparently no kidding named for the Star Wars character). It is supposed to be the very best out there according to reviews. At $700, it'd better be!

Last edited by GGDaddy; 08-17-22 at 01:17 PM.
Likes For GGDaddy:
Old 08-17-22, 01:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
All of my Rapha LS jerseys have rather long sleeve lengths..And the company does free shipping and free returns -- so no risk in trying it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-17-22, 02:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Arc'teryx Kyanite AR. Size down. Thank me later.
Old 08-17-22, 04:09 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
All of my Rapha LS jerseys have rather long sleeve lengths..And the company does free shipping and free returns -- so no risk in trying it.
I was going to mention the same. I'm 5'11" with longish arms and my M LS jerseys are more than long enough. No issue with my Core Winter Jacket, either, though the sleeves seem a little shorter, proportionately, compared to the LS jerseys.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-17-22, 05:55 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
I have the Oakley thermal jersey and it's warm and comfy (I am OK at 5c (40f) temperature). True to size.

Bought the Essential Road Mid Long Sleeve from POC last week, it is less warm for sure. Should be OK for 10c (50f) temperature.
Old 08-17-22, 08:05 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Just clarifying for the OP. Are the sleeves not long enough? Or, they're long enough but slide up the arm?
Old 08-18-22, 12:20 PM
crazyravr

Just not long enough. I am 190cm and 75kg. Typically wear size L race cut clothing on the bike. But I have long arms and when stretched on the bike, this is amplifies the issue.
The only one that I have found that works for me is the Pearl Izumi PRO.
Looking to try others.
Old 08-18-22, 12:39 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Do you have to wear something cycling specific?

Personally if it isn't that cold, I just wear normal jersey with arm covers, and then when it does get cold a long sleeve sports shirt (I have one from Nike, and one from Oddlo that I also use for XC skiing) and a yellow high viz jacket that is also wind and rain proof. And if that's too cold, I don't ride outside. Although to be fair I hardly ever even wear that, I just use the trainer for half a year or so.
Old 08-19-22, 08:46 AM
crazyravr

Originally Posted by ZHVelo

Personally if it isn't that cold, I just wear normal jersey with arm covers, and then when it does get cold a long sleeve sports shirt (I have one from Nike, and one from Oddlo that I also use for XC skiing) and a yellow high viz jacket that is also wind and rain proof. And if that's too cold, I don't ride outside. Although to be fair I hardly ever even wear that, I just use the trainer for half a year or so.
Have to....... nope. Would like to...... yeap. I dont like things floppying around when I am on the road bike.
Old 08-19-22, 01:17 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
Have to....... nope. Would like to...... yeap. I dont like things floppying around when I am on the road bike.
There is something between skin tight and flopping around...
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 08-19-22, 01:21 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/tall...g-apparel.html
Old 08-19-22, 02:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by ZHVelo

You should start a thread this winter and post ski photos from your part of the world. I'd love to see them!
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-19-22, 04:48 PM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I was going to mention the same. I'm 5'11" with longish arms and my M LS jerseys are more than long enough. No issue with my Core Winter Jacket, either, though the sleeves seem a little shorter, proportionately, compared to the LS jerseys.
Another one for Rapha, both my LS jerseys and Brevet Insulated jacket have long sleeves.
Old 08-21-22, 05:03 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
Need something that would be race cut, warm and long in arms without going XXL. Ideas?
I've been super-impressed with the Pearl Izumi Kodiak jersey I bought maybe a decade ago...so impressed in fact that I bought a second one a few years later and left it in a drawer sealed in the package, waiting for the day that I finally wear out the first one. (Though now that I've been spending winters in Arizona it looks like that time may never come!)

No idea if the Kodiak is still available though.
Old 08-21-22, 10:14 AM
Seattle Forrest

This works fantastically to add maybe 10* F. Goes between your base layer and jersey. Extremely breathable, dries quickly, anti stink works well, it's incredibly versatile, also soft and comfy.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-21-22, 10:19 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
This works fantastically to add maybe 10* F. Goes between your base layer and jersey. Extremely breathable, dries quickly, anti stink works well, it's incredibly versatile, also soft and comfy.
In very cold weather, I often use a very similar garment that's made of merino wool; mine has the same shape and cut, and goes between a base layer and jacket. On days like that, I don't even bother with a proper cycling jersey -- there's no point as long as my jacket has a few pockets.