Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Old 08-22-22, 07:26 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Every time I read waxing instructions, I get as far as step 2 and,,,, no thanks, I'd be done already.
It's what happens when you only see parts and not the big picture.
Old 08-22-22, 07:42 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Every time I read waxing instructions, I get as far as step 2 and,,,, no thanks, I'd be done already.
Step 1: Melt wax.
Step 2: Immerse chain. (Optional: wipe it down with a paper towel first)
Step 3: Swirl it around and let equilibrate to the temperature of the melted wax.
Step 4: Pull it out and hang it on a nail and let it drip and cool.
Step 5: Put it on the bike.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-22-22, 07:52 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8184 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,390 Posts
Here are a few dozen more threads.
Bike Forums - Search Results
Likes For big john:
Old 08-22-22, 07:58 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Step 3: Swirl it around and let equilibrate to the temperature of the melted wax.
Sorry, I was mistaken.

I would not even make it past the first step before it took more time than lubing my chain.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-22-22, 08:00 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by yaw
It's what happens when you only see parts and not the big picture.
Oh, so enough steps that all take longer, and eventually it would take shorter?

OK.

Look it you wan to wax, go for it. Just explaining why it is not more popular.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-22-22, 08:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by big john
Here are a few dozen more threads.
Bike Forums - Search Results
I wonder what the chain waxing recumbent Venn diagram evangelism overlap looks like...
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-22-22, 08:15 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Each person's going to have a different opinion on what is easier. works better, more convenient, etc, etc. Also, don't discount the fact that a lot of riders might think of lubing their chain as a type of pre game ritual similar to airing up one's tires.
Old 08-22-22, 08:23 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Oh, so enough steps that all take longer, and eventually it would take shorter?

OK.

Look it you wan to wax, go for it. Just explaining why it is not more popular.
Provided you care to maintain a reasonably efficient drivetrain, you will spend more time on cleaning it alone than a hot waxer spends waxing and swapping chains.
Likes For yaw:
Old 08-22-22, 08:29 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by yaw
Provided you care to maintain a reasonably efficient drivetrain, you will spend more time on cleaning it alone than a hot waxer spends waxing and swapping chains.
No, I don’t. I use pro link and seldom need to clean my chain. Maybe one or twice, in some cases never in the life of the chain.

And when I do, it about the same amount or work as a waxing. Throw it in some mineral spirits (which I don’t need to melt) soak, wipe off, let dry, re-lube.

My drivetrain is not sparkling clean looking, but it is not very dirty, either. If a sparking clean looking drivetrain is worth the extra work to you, have at. I’d rather spend my time on other things.

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-22-22 at 08:46 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-22-22, 08:36 PM
seypat

Let's talk about the lubing methods a little deeper. We could compare it to the options cyclists have when they want to remove body hair. They have the longer lasting products/processes such as Nair, Nads or Lazer removal. Like chain waxing, those products might do a better job and require a lot less overall time/maintenance. Then we have ordinary shaving which is similar to ordinary chain lubing. Definitely requires more maintenance than the other methods and doesn't last as long. You'd think shaving would be the least popular method, but that's not the case. I wonder why?
Old 08-22-22, 08:39 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
This method has a 100% participation rate within 50’ of my garage.

I see no reason to degrease a new chain. The small amount of emulsifiers disperse in a much larger quantity of wax.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 08-22-22, 08:47 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Many people think it is more time consuming than what they are used to, but it is the opposite.
False, for me, at least. I tried waxing a chain once or twice. It involved removing the chain from my bike, finding a pan and putting it on the stove to melt the wax, submersing the chain and letting it penetrate, fishing it back out and letting it cool, then reinstalling it on the bike. Am I doing it wrong? My favorite drip lube, Boeshield T9, takes me less than five minutes to apply. (Much less when I'm not being picky about it.) There is very little mess, and my drivetrains work fine. I like the idea of waxing, but I don't see how I could possibly do it with anything comparable to the ease of a drip bottle. By the time I get to step 2 out of 5 for waxing, I could have been done with the T9.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-22-22, 08:49 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Whats the hardest thing about being a chain waxer who goes to Cross-Fit?

Deciding what to tell everybody about first.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-22-22, 08:54 PM
seypat

You've also got to get yourself a cooker/ingredients and deal with the prep/maintenance both pre and post waxing. That's a lot different than bottles of brake cleaner/lube and some paper towels. Not to mention removing the chain and keeping a spare quick link close by.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-22-22, 08:55 PM
seypat

Whats the hardest thing about being a chain waxer who goes to Cross-Fit?

Deciding what to tell everybody about first.
Add vegan to that list.
Old 08-22-22, 09:03 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Add vegan to that list.
And 'bent riders, sometimes.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-22-22, 09:16 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8184 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
I wipe my chains with a rag. Takes a few seconds. I'm not big on maintenance, don't really care as long as it still works. I replace the drivetrain parts when they get trashed. Doing it that way for almost 40 years.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-22-22, 09:27 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

You've also got to get yourself a cooker/ingredients and deal with the prep/maintenance both pre and post waxing. That's a lot different than bottles of brake cleaner/lube and some paper towels. Not to mention removing the chain and keeping a spare quick link close by.
I have a mini crock pot. The only ingredient you need is paraffin. There is no prep/maintenance pre/post waxing. That's the beauty of it.

Sure, it is easier to put tri-flow or whatever on your chain. It is the mess and labor after 300 miles where this pays off. Also, my drive train lasts years rather than months now, under the gritty sandy conditions where I ride. The chain cleaner sits unused. I don't even have to use one of those brushes to clean the cassette. Even my derailleur pullys are pristine. No greasy hands when I change a chain. No chain tattoos. No sand/lube grinding paste chewing on all the cassette and chainring teeth.

I have a friend who I ride with whose white carbon Trek Domane has a brownish chain-stay from all the crap he dumps all over his chain, and there are globs of filth that accumulate in his cassette and derailleur. That's just nasty.

Of course everyone should do as they see fit. If I lived where it rains all the time, I might not want to wax my chain. But it does a disservice to tell people it is prohibitively time-consuming, or that you need to put in toxic ingredients like teflon powder or molybdenum sulfide or whatever the magic ingredient of the day might be. Pure paraffin, aka canning wax, is all you need to do this.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-22-22, 09:41 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Originally Posted by Broctoon
False, for me, at least. I tried waxing a chain once or twice. It involved removing the chain from my bike, finding a pan and putting it on the stove to melt the wax, submersing the chain and letting it penetrate, fishing it back out and letting it cool, then reinstalling it on the bike. Am I doing it wrong? My favorite drip lube, Boeshield T9, takes me less than five minutes to apply. (Much less when I'm not being picky about it.) There is very little mess, and my drivetrains work fine. I like the idea of waxing, but I don't see how I could possibly do it with anything comparable to the ease of a drip bottle. By the time I get to step 2 out of 5 for waxing, I could have been done with the T9.
One way to speed this up, and make it much safer, is using a crockpot or similar which you can set on 'low' and be guaranteed that it won't overheat the wax. You can just turn it on with the wax already inside and put the chain(s) on top before it even melted. You can walk away and at some point later just agitate and fish the chain(s) out when convenient and hang them to dry, ideally directly over the pot. So you don't actually have to watch any of the heating up or keep time. If you do 2-3 chains at once, you have nearly a thousand km of dry weather riding covered and all you need to do is swap the chains out via the quick link when they become due and re-wax the old chains when convenient.

In actual 'attendance time' I would say that I can wax a couple of chains, dry them, break them, store them, within the 5 minutes you do your Boeshield T9. Sure more time passes as these things soak and dry, but when it comes to ride readiness, it will take just a minute to swap an old chain with a pre-waxed one in-between batch waxing.
Likes For yaw:
Old 08-22-22, 09:47 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Originally Posted by big john
I wipe my chains with a rag. Takes a few seconds. I'm not big on maintenance, don't really care as long as it still works. I replace the drivetrain parts when they get trashed. Doing it that way for almost 40 years.
The point is your drivetrain parts wouldn't get trashed as quickly on hot wax. Your friction losses would be reduced throughout your riding. So you have 40 years of accelerated part trashing and living with a less efficient drivetrain but that is not a reason to avoid an improvement if it is practical for you. Even with a money no object replace what come approach, the task to source and fit new parts, or trip to the bike shop, eats into time.

Last edited by yaw; 08-22-22 at 10:01 PM.
Likes For yaw:
Old 08-22-22, 09:48 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
OK... Ok... ok... !!!

I'll give it a try...
Old 08-22-22, 10:00 PM
seypat

I have a mini crock pot. The only ingredient you need is paraffin. There is no prep/maintenance pre/post waxing. That's the beauty of it.

Sure, it is easier to put tri-flow or whatever on your chain. It is the mess and labor after 300 miles where this pays off. Also, my drive train lasts years rather than months now, under the gritty sandy conditions where I ride. The chain cleaner sits unused. I don't even have to use one of those brushes to clean the cassette. Even my derailleur pullys are pristine. No greasy hands when I change a chain. No chain tattoos. No sand/lube grinding paste chewing on all the cassette and chainring teeth.

I have a friend who I ride with whose white carbon Trek Domane has a brownish chain-stay from all the crap he dumps all over his chain, and there are globs of filth that accumulate in his cassette and derailleur. That's just nasty.

Of course everyone should do as they see fit. If I lived where it rains all the time, I might not want to wax my chain. But it does a disservice to tell people it is prohibitively time-consuming, or that you need to put in toxic ingredients like teflon powder or molybdenum sulfide or whatever the magic ingredient of the day might be. Pure paraffin, aka canning wax, is all you need to do this.
So you just turn the crock pot off and leave the wax in to harden back up? You don't clean or wipe the chain down before it's dipped in wax?
Old 08-22-22, 10:02 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

OK, now back to Rene Herse tires...
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-22-22, 10:03 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by yaw
The point is your drivetrain parts wouldn't get trashed as quickly on hot wax. Your friction losses would be reduced throughout your riding. So you have 40 years of accelerated part trashing and living with a less efficient drivetrain but that is not a reason to avoid an improvement if it is practical for you. Even with a money no object replace what come approach, the task to source and fit new parts, or trip to the bike shop, eats into time.
It works for him, so no reason for him to change.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-22-22, 10:04 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

So you just turn the crock pot off and leave the wax in to harden back up? You don't clean or wipe the chain down before it's dipped in wax?
Exactly. The chain doesn't get dirty. I guess it can't hurt to run it through a rag or paper towel, but I've never seen any dirt or residue come off, so I don't bother. The wax eventually gets kind of grey, so I just dump it into the trash and stick a new block in.

Lifetime supply of chain lube (sorry about the fuzzy photo):

Mini crockpot with solid wax waiting for the next chain waxing event:

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 08-22-22 at 10:24 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.