Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh "R" Cotter Pin Nut - where can I find them?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-12, 02:46 PM
TNDave

Bikes: 2008 Gary Fisher Monona, 1997 Univega Alpina 550, 1980 Nishiki International, 1993 Specialized Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm restoring a 1974 Lady Sports for my wife and I have everything I need..... EXCEPT when I went to douse the cotter pins on the crank arms with penetrating oil in preperation for removing them this weekend I found that I was missing the Raleigh R nut on one of the pins. I have looked online and can't find them anywhere, and I understand they are a 26tpi thread that is pretty much impossible to find.

Has anyone had any luck finding these anywhere? I would like to keep as much original as possible, but if I have to order new cotter pins that is not the end of the world.....

Thanks!
Old 04-20-12, 03:02 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
If you have to order new pins, I get them here: https://bikesmithdesign.com/CotterPress/cotters.html

Hope you can find a matching one, though.
Old 04-20-12, 05:25 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
They're not cotter pins. They're cotters. (Unless you live in the UK)
Old 04-20-12, 06:39 PM
marley mission
people's champ

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rale...#ht_1121wt_952
Old 04-20-12, 06:46 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by TNDave
I'm restoring a 1974 Lady Sports for my wife and I have everything I need..... EXCEPT when I went to douse the cotter pins on the crank arms with penetrating oil in preperation for removing them this weekend I found that I was missing the Raleigh R nut on one of the pins. I have looked online and can't find them anywhere, and I understand they are a 26tpi thread that is pretty much impossible to find.

Has anyone had any luck finding these anywhere? I would like to keep as much original as possible, but if I have to order new cotter pins that is not the end of the world.....

Thanks!
They show up on and off at the bike coop,
where I work a shift as mechanic tomorrow.

I'll check and let you know what I find, but
honestly speaking, I'm not doing you any favors
enabling your OCD.
Old 04-20-12, 06:52 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by marley mission
Wow, 35 bucks for a set of cotters and nuts - crazy. I understand the desire to keep things original; however it is not uncommon for Sports to have replacement cotters with generic nuts so you would not be that far from original. I think that I may have a couple of R-nuts that I may be tempted to trade for other Sports stuff.

26 tpi cotters can be bought here: https://harmonywaterrestoration.com/cotterPin_pg.html

-G
Old 04-20-12, 07:22 PM
TNDave

Bikes: 2008 Gary Fisher Monona, 1997 Univega Alpina 550, 1980 Nishiki International, 1993 Specialized Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
If you have to order new pins, I get them here: https://bikesmithdesign.com/CotterPress/cotters.html

Hope you can find a matching one, though.
Thanks for the link - I may order a couple tomorrow to have just in case.
Old 04-20-12, 07:24 PM
TNDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
They show up on and off at the bike coop,
where I work a shift as mechanic tomorrow.

I'll check and let you know what I find, but
honestly speaking, I'm not doing you any favors
enabling your OCD.
Ha! I find that the older I get the more OCD I get! I appreciate you checking and enabling my OCD!!!!
Old 04-20-12, 07:52 PM
TNDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmt13
Wow, 35 bucks for a set of cotters and nuts - crazy. I understand the desire to keep things original; however it is not uncommon for Sports to have replacement cotters with generic nuts so you would not be that far from original. I think that I may have a couple of R-nuts that I may be tempted to trade for other Sports stuff.

26 tpi cotters can be bought here: https://harmonywaterrestoration.com/cotterPin_pg.html

-G
Thanks for the link - I had not run into that site yet in my searching. If you have any to trade drop me an email or PM - I am just getting started in this hobby (and it has a FIRM grip on me) and don't have a lot to trade (YET!). But hopefully we could work something out. Thanks!
Old 04-21-12, 12:32 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Originally Posted by Grand Bois
They're not cotter pins. They're cotters. (Unless you live in the UK)
Eh, whatever. That's like those gun nuts who flip anytime someone calls a magazine a "clip." Yes, it's not the right term. No, it doesn't really matter.
Old 04-21-12, 03:53 PM
TNDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stupid stupid stupid frickin cotters!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I have spent the ENTIRE day hammering, drilling, torching, cussing, hammering some more, drilled some more, torched some more. Sawed, broken 4 bits, dulled 5 bits, gone through who knows how much cutting oil, and the STUPID COTTER IS STILL FROZEN SOLID!!!

The first cotter almost fell out with the lightest tap and I thought "this will be easy" - BOY was I wrong! The other one is frozen hard and I am starting to think I will never get it out. Finally gave up for the day and am going to buy some new high-speed drill bits tomorrow to try again.

So based on the results of today I won't need that R nut anymore, as the frozen cotter is basically destroyed.
Old 04-21-12, 04:03 PM
Fenway

Bikes: 1983 Peugeot UO14, KHS Green-Heavily modified, 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27" (work in progress)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's why the BikeSmith cotter press is worth its weight in gold. Be sure to order one with the new cotters and save yourself endless grief.
Old 04-21-12, 06:27 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to the club. I have found that my bench vise is the most effective tool. Find a socket that fits over the head of the cotter (away from the threaded part). Do what you can to arrange to clamp cotter and socket in the jaws and then tighten. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mybfNsm1XwM
Old 04-21-12, 06:31 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
I checked and found nothing, but it looks like it matters not.

There are a number of tricks to dealing with cotters, the most
essential one being not to hammer them. But you know that now.

They can be pressed in and out with a purpose built tool,
like that Bikesmith one, or with a bench vise or even a smal
drill press vise, using the appropriately sized socket to provide
a negative space for the head end to slide into as it breaks free.

Liberal use of Kroil or PB Blaster also usually helps.

Once you've started drilling, it's usually easiest to drill
out the whole end until you're just below the crank arm
lip, then use a drift of the appropriate size to punch it
out.........at least that usually works for me.

Vincit omnia veritas.
Old 04-21-12, 07:50 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
If you don't want to pay up for the original "R" nuts, you can sometimes buy reproduction "R" decals from a guy on UK eBay, stick them on nuts of your choice, and cover them with clear urethane. It was a while ago when I did that; can't seem to find the seller, now. But in any case, it looks pretty good.
Old 04-21-12, 08:52 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I have some R nuts for cotters. Who wants 'em? I'd rather have useable cotters....
Old 04-22-12, 03:19 PM
TNDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FINALLY the blasted thing is out! Took a LOT of drilling and once we got all the way through had to go back in with a little bit bigger drill bit, then hit it with the torch and the punch finally drove it out. That was one tough little bugger!!

I will either invest in a press or look into making my own with my bench vise, but as of right now I don't plan on picking up any more bikes to fix up that have cottered cranks, but time will tell I guess!!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Old 04-22-12, 03:22 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

FINALLY the blasted thing is out! Took a LOT of drilling and once we got all the way through had to go back in with a little bit bigger drill bit, then hit it with the torch and the punch finally drove it out. That was one tough little bugger!!

I will either invest in a press or look into making my own with my bench vise, but as of right now I don't plan on picking up any more bikes to fix up that have cottered cranks, but time will tell I guess!!

I tried making my own--it worked, but not super well. Eventually I got the bikesmith press. It is excellent. I no longer have a fear of cotters. If you ever plan on doing this again, even once or twice, I really think it's worth the fifty bucks.
Old 04-22-12, 03:33 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Well I have spent the ENTIRE day hammering, drilling, torching, cussing, hammering some more, drilled some more, torched some more. Sawed, broken 4 bits, dulled 5 bits, gone through who knows how much cutting oil, and the STUPID COTTER IS STILL FROZEN SOLID!!!

The first cotter almost fell out with the lightest tap and I thought "this will be easy" - BOY was I wrong! The other one is frozen hard and I am starting to think I will never get it out. Finally gave up for the day and am going to buy some new high-speed drill bits tomorrow to try again.

So based on the results of today I won't need that R nut anymore, as the frozen cotter is basically destroyed.
Without a cotter press tool most drive side pins just won't come out. They can be done with a big hammer and punch other pins work for this but it will likely wreck the crank BB and may damage the frame.
Old 04-22-12, 06:56 PM
brianinc-ville

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
I tried making my own--it worked, but not super well. Eventually I got the bikesmith press. It is excellent. I no longer have a fear of cotters. If you ever plan on doing this again, even once or twice, I really think it's worth the fifty bucks.
+1
Old 04-22-12, 07:22 PM
larwyn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The one I made works fine for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HPIM2545.jpg (90.7 KB, 230 views)
Likes For larwyn:
Old 04-22-12, 08:02 PM
echo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I remember the first time I had to remove these blasted things...they were on a an old Raleigh and had never been removed before (I think), there's nothing like that first time without the proper tool!
Old 04-23-12, 04:53 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Wow ! I'm glad I casually glanced at this thread . Never dealt much with cotters before now , but I picked up an early 70's Raleigh Grand Prix at a metals recycler yesterday . Now I have an idea as to how to get the cotters out . I do have an old drill press mech I'll customize for this .
Old 04-23-12, 06:35 AM
TNDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
Wow ! I'm glad I casually glanced at this thread . Never dealt much with cotters before now , but I picked up an early 70's Raleigh Grand Prix at a metals recycler yesterday . Now I have an idea as to how to get the cotters out . I do have an old drill press mech I'll customize for this .
Like echo2011 said above - I learned quite a bit with this little project - primarily the need for the right tools! If I ever tackle this job again I will be buying the Bikesmith cotter press or looking to fabricate one myself like some I have seen. However based on my "weekend of cotter fun" I don't plan on tackling that job for a LONG time again!
Old 07-29-14, 07:21 AM
joetkach

Bikes: Fuji fixed gear conversion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a set of "R" nuts I can let go for $15 shipped if anyone is interested. Lubed and abused my cotters getting them out so I'll be replacing w/ bikesmithdesigns cotters (Can't use R nuts). Lesson learned; do research before using a hammer on a late 60's bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.