Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Unexpected weight loss after crash

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-26-22, 11:03 AM
The Clumsy Oaf

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Landyachtz Spitfire SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello
Three weeks ago, I crashed and broke my collarbone. I'm not exercising much at all, short infrequent walks only.
Today I weighed myself and I'm 4 or 5 pounds lighter than when I crashed, even though I have been eating poorly (to cheer myself up),
Does anyone have an idea that explains the weight loss? I can only guess that my metabolism hasn't slowed down yet, or perhaps a margin of error with my scale?
Old 09-26-22, 01:50 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts
I would suggest you're losing muscle. Also are you keeping hydrated?
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 09-26-22, 03:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I've never been able to fully control when weight comes off of me or not. Usually it's when I least expect it too.
Old 09-26-22, 09:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
Sorry about your wreck. To me, if you are eating poorly, getting minimal exercise and losing weight, I would see a physician. Your prior metabolism will not carry over unless you just have a naturally high metabolism.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-26-22, 10:44 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Opiate pain killers can do this.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-02-22, 10:30 PM
The Clumsy Oaf

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Landyachtz Spitfire SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appreciate the input, thanks.
Old 10-03-22, 09:43 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
I would suggest you're losing muscle. Also are you keeping hydrated?
This. Healing from trauma is an intensely catabolic state and muscle loss is expected.
Old 10-11-22, 11:35 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
I highly doubt that anyone will lose 5lbs of muscle in 3 weeks. IMO.
Old 10-12-22, 07:15 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Bmach
I highly doubt that anyone will lose 5lbs of muscle in 3 weeks. IMO.
As a hospital-based physician and fitness nerd, I don't doubt it at all. Here's a pretty good review of what happen to muscle when oldies stop moving.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...MC3276215/#R13

"...data from the only study to examine older adults suggests that the loss of lean tissue in healthy older adults during bed rest far exceeds the losses experienced by their younger counterparts. Specifically, Kortebein et al. observed a 0.95 kg loss of lean leg mass (0.63 kg·wk-1) following just 10 days of bed rest in otherwise healthy older adults [13]. Assuming the rate of muscle loss is somewhat linear during the initial days/weeks of bed rest, this represents an approximate 3 to 6-fold greater rate of muscle loss in bed-ridden older adults."
The study subjects in reference 13 were healthy volunteers, mean age 67, maintained on a normal diet. The full text is paywalled, but I can send it to anyone who's interested.

The OP was not on complete bed rest, but the acute phase of recovery from significant injury involves systemic inflammation and a catabolic state, where resources are diverted to healing and anabolic processes, such as amino acid deposition in muscle, is effectively halted.

Most old people are losing muscle at a slow, but measurable, rate anyway and the only way to maintain it is resistance exercise and lots and lots of dietary protein.
Old 10-12-22, 08:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
dunno about the weight loss. but the worst thing I can do is stop exercising after an injury. obviously don't exercise the injured area, but we have to keep doing other stuff. the injured area will benefit, even if it's not exercised

sorry to hear about the collarbone! sounds painful!
Old 10-12-22, 11:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
This. Healing from trauma is an intensely catabolic state and muscle loss is expected.
Yeah. I lost a good deal of muscle mass, especially in my upper body, after my heart valve replacement. I didn't do any vigorous exercise for 7 weeks after the surgery.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-12-22, 11:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yeah. I lost a good deal of muscle mass, especially in my upper body, after my heart valve replacement. I didn't do any vigorous exercise for 7 weeks after the surgery.
wow, but now you seem to be doing great! as pr your ride reports, you ride many long rides! my brother had a 7hr valve surgery February 2020 right before things started to shut down. anyway he had many valves replaced. he's lucky if he goes for a walk or a swim now
Old 10-12-22, 11:34 AM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 149 Posts
You were dehydrated.
Old 10-12-22, 11:51 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
wow, but now you seem to be doing great! as pr your ride reports, you ride many long rides! my brother had a 7hr valve surgery February 2020 right before things started to shut down. anyway he had many valves replaced. he's lucky if he goes for a walk or a swim now
The surgery was in 1990, when I was 25. I was born with a congenital defect. A hole between my ventricles. That cause my septum to sag and my aortic valve to leak. Leakage was very minor at the time, but I was told that as I got older, I would likely need surgery repair or place the valve. General prediction was around age 30-35. It happened sooner, likely because I was exercising so much. (I had lost 90 lbs. in 9 months in '86-'87, during my senior year of college, solely through diet change and cycling. Oh, the irony.) Had it done before my 3rd year of law school. Made a deal with the surgeon that if he thought he could get 20-25 years or so out of the existing valve he would repair rather than replace because there was something to keeping someone so young off blood thinners for the rest of his life. As such, I didn't know what I would wake up with.

After 7 weeks, I was told I could do a relatively light workout on the trainer. I was pretty scared and kept the phone on the floor by the front wheel in case I had to call 9-1-1.

Hopefully, my valve will last the rest of my life.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-12-22, 12:15 PM
MoAlpha
• —

The surgery was in 1990, when I was 25. I was born with a congenital defect. A hole between my ventricles. That cause my septum to sag and my aortic valve to leak. Leakage was very minor at the time, but I was told that as I got older, I would likely need surgery repair or place the valve. General prediction was around age 30-35. It happened sooner, likely because I was exercising so much. (I had lost 90 lbs. in 9 months in '86-'87, during my senior year of college, solely through diet change and cycling. Oh, the irony.) Had it done before my 3rd year of law school. Made a deal with the surgeon that if he thought he could get 20-25 years or so out of the existing valve he would repair rather than replace because there was something to keeping someone so young off blood thinners for the rest of his life. As such, I didn't know what I would wake up with.

After 7 weeks, I was told I could do a relatively light workout on the trainer. I was pretty scared and kept the phone on the floor by the front wheel in case I had to call 9-1-1.

Hopefully, my valve will last the rest of my life.
I ride with a guy with a prosthetic valve due to a congenital defect. When I met him, the thing was leaking and he was due for a replacement, so I could out-climb him. Once he got the new one he started cleaning my clock. He's a few years younger than I, but definitely stronger.
Old 10-12-22, 12:44 PM
indyfabz

I ride with a guy with a prosthetic valve due to a congenital defect. When I met him, the thing was leaking and he was due for a replacement, so I could out-climb him. Once he got the new one he started cleaning my clock. He's a few years younger than I, but definitely stronger.
One post-op adjustment was getting used to the ticking. Losing muscle mass in my chest didn't help with muffling the sound. I started sleeping with a pillow clutched to my chest and did for a long time, mostly out of habit.
Old 10-12-22, 01:04 PM
MoAlpha
• —

One post-op adjustment was getting used to the ticking. Losing muscle mass in my chest didn't help with muffling the sound. I started sleeping with a pillow clutched to my chest and did for a long time, mostly out of habit.
That would drive me nuts and would be a tell on the bike if the competition could hear it.
Old 10-12-22, 09:13 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
As a hospital-based physician and fitness nerd, I don't doubt it at all. Here's a pretty good review of what happen to muscle when oldies stop moving.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...MC3276215/#R13

The study subjects in reference 13 were healthy volunteers, mean age 67, maintained on a normal diet. The full text is paywalled, but I can send it to anyone who's interested.

The OP was not on complete bed rest, but the acute phase of recovery from significant injury involves systemic inflammation and a catabolic state, where resources are diverted to healing and anabolic processes, such as amino acid deposition in muscle, is effectively halted.

Most old people are losing muscle at a slow, but measurable, rate anyway and the only way to maintain it is resistance exercise and lots and lots of dietary protein.
I will stand by what I said as the study you posted showed less than 4lbs while confined to complete bed rest. The op is not and is also pity eating.
Interesting read anyways thanks for posting.