Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Blasphemy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-12, 07:38 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
There's a case to be made for the "dead-on" lonely appearance, but I am inclined to leave it where it is because:
1) there is a risk that 3's not enough and 5's too many
2) Most of the time the bike is viewed from one side or the other, where the caliper already looks great.
Hmmmm...

Well, I will make some people happy and disappoint others when I say I agree with the above statement. 3 is definitely not enough and I checked tonight: 5 ain't gonna make it, no matter how accurately I get them placed.

And 4 is right out

So, I am going to leave these be. I appreciate all the feedback, and who knows? Maybe in the future I'll get a bug up the posterior and go 5 smaller holes and it will all fit. As this was never really intended to be a drillium bike anyway, I think keeping a low drillium profile would be best.

I have to say, however, that I wish the right-hand arm was as similarly shaped as the other two - that way, I could simply do two more sets of 5 on those arms and be done with all the uncertainty...

DD
Old 01-03-12, 07:44 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by rootboy
Well, it is impressive, isn't it? I've done a bit-O-drill'ems too Alex. A pair of chain rings back in the mid 70's, which I still have. To imagine doing it with a hand-held Dremel, though. Good gawd-a-mighty. You got's one of those little Dremel/Foredom drill press attachments, D. Dude? I had a Foredom once, but figuring I would never need it, sold it a few years ago. I'm really wondering how D. Dude holds a NR derailleur when he mills out the face plate. Not to mention these brakes. As with all clever tinkerers, the Dude doesn't give up his secrets easily, but I'm going to keep plying him with bribes of Kobe beef and loose floozies.
Hey, what is the "Foredom" drill press attachment? I might be able to employ something like that, although a full-size drill press with variable speed/torque is fairly inexpensive and is next on my tool list. I want something that can take care of larger holes (such as chainrings) in one shot instead of the three-drill-bit-and-out method I have to employ with the Dremel.

And, hey - if you hook me up I'll pass along one secret per floozie (I prefer blondes)

DD
Old 01-03-12, 07:45 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by auchencrow
I like that^

That is good!

DD
Old 01-03-12, 07:53 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
But you want to see some really stunning recent drillium work, check out this by one of our members:

Isn't that insanely awesome?!

Otis, take a bow

DD
Thanks for the plug Jeff. I just checked in to see if you guys got a pair of GP4's stripped yet.

The calipers look cool, nice job!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54616231@N04/
Old 01-03-12, 07:55 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by gomango
Just about perfect if we could throw in a few sports cars and Ducatis.
How about sports sedans?

Much as I'd like, I can't supply the Ducati...

2001 330i Dinan:

The ex got the white 2002 325ci under cover in the background

DD
Old 01-03-12, 08:02 PM
Otis

Originally Posted by gomango
Pretty talented, no doubt.

If you folks have an hour or two to burn, stroll through DD's and Otis's Flickrs.

Beautiful bicycles, drilled/painted baubles beyond compare, great stereo gear, and attractive women.

Just about perfect if we could throw in a few sports cars and Ducatis.
I no longer own this one but I have the pics. Guess I was into "drillium" then as well, I forgot I cut up the timing belt covers like that. A Machinist buddy milled the clutch cover for me. That bike made some really beautiful sounds. Oh, and Columbus tubing!

Old 01-03-12, 08:06 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ NOW this thread is picking up some serious steam!

DD
Old 01-03-12, 08:36 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Jeeeesh, you guys are killin' me with these beauties.

I sold my 2002 tii to a fellow in Iowa and he's asked me not to post, otherwise I'd throw those pics up here for grins.

The BMW is fantastic Jeff. I drove an M5 from Trauenwalchen in Bayern, to Lake Garda, Italy 6 years ago.

My kids still look like they've seen ghosts after that ride.

As for the Ducati, I stop by Moto Primo, our Ducati dealer, just to drool on a Monster 696 on a semi-regular basis.

That is one outstanding Desmo you had Otis, for sure.
Old 01-03-12, 09:17 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Sacha just found out I do not plan on drilling any more holes in the Chorus calipers:

Grady: Ten years now I've owned that car - a daily driver, too. Sadly, I think this may be the year I go over to an Audi (A4) and 4-wheel drive...

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 01-04-12, 08:52 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Okay, I'm really surprised how many people have asked if I can make one of these for them:

Yes, I'll do them - but I won't destroy a working derailleur to do it. I know when I did this one (and a matching back parallelogram arm for a friend who supplied the derailleur) something was wrong with the unit; if I recall correctly there was a crack in the top pivot along the mounting bolt axis. Since I didn't have spare parts - or the know-how at the time - to take it apart and replace, we decided to make some jewelry

PM me if interested. I'm still looking for finishing touches for this build (hint, hint...), so let's talk.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 01-04-12 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-04-12, 09:10 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
pm sent (again...)
Old 01-04-12, 11:36 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Patience paid off tonight while refreshing my nightly "Campagnolo" search on Ebay:

This was right at the top upon refreshing to Page 1 of my search. BIN was spot-on for condition (well, at least as far as my latest perusals of Ebay's Completed Listings showed) so I snapped it up.

Almost there...

DD
Old 01-04-12, 11:41 PM
thirdgenbird

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nice score. It was cheaper than I would let my spare go for.
Old 01-05-12, 05:27 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
There's all kind of awesome in this thread! hooked! BTW DD, you mentioned you drilled some modern stuff for customers, does that include ergo levers? I can't seem to find pics of that on your flickr...

And nice to know that Ducati used Columbus tubing as well. Now I want a columbus tubed bike with campy magnesium wheels... and a honkin' big desmo engine in the middle!
Old 01-05-12, 06:05 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Hey, what is the "Foredom" drill press attachment? DD
I'm not computer savvy enough to do those direct captures, etc, but here's a link D. Dude. Wish I'd have kept the one I had I could have passed it along to you. meant to be used only with the Foredom #30 hand piece, however. I think Dremel makes something like this too.

https://www.seattlefindings.com/Fored...ce_p_2409.html
Old 01-05-12, 10:14 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Italuminium
There's all kind of awesome in this thread! hooked! BTW DD, you mentioned you drilled some modern stuff for customers, does that include ergo levers? I can't seem to find pics of that on your flickr...
Thank you!

Yes, they'll go up once the customer sends me pics back - he sent a disassembled front and rear derailleur and will put them back together to photograph for 43bikes.com. I took some pics, but they look weird since they don't represent the built-up units. I'm actually kinda excited to see what they look like in their usable forms.

As for my levers, they're still in work; I have nearly cleaned up all the scratches/couple deep scrapes and will do a little drilling on them this weekend I think. Because of the issue I had stripping the shifter levers, I am going to have to find spares for those, however. There's just too much pitting going on there

DD
Old 01-05-12, 10:17 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by rootboy
I'm not computer savvy enough to do those direct captures, etc, but here's a link D. Dude. Wish I'd have kept the one I had I could have passed it along to you. meant to be used only with the Foredom #30 hand piece, however. I think Dremel makes something like this too.

https://www.seattlefindings.com/Fored...ce_p_2409.html
I see - yes, Dremel does something similar (it's mostly plastic) and I had one and tried to use it. Bleah. For wood it would probably be okay, but it doesn't work well on metal; just not enough torque and the mount is fairly flimsy. The drill bit tried to walk down the side of a part I was drilling instead of drilling into it! I tossed it back in the box and I think it's now moldering away in the attic.

I wonder if a Foredom has a better rep - both the motor tool and its press?

DD
Old 01-05-12, 10:28 AM
Otis

I see - yes, Dremel does something similar (it's mostly plastic) and I had one and tried to use it. Bleah. For wood it would probably be okay, but it doesn't work well on metal; just not enough torque and the mount is fairly flimsy. The drill bit tried to walk down the side of a part I was drilling instead of drilling into it! I tossed it back in the box and I think it's now moldering away in the attic.

I wonder if a Foredom has a better rep - both the motor tool and its press?

DD
Foredom is the real deal. Expensive but worth the investment. I'm getting ready to buy one of their shaft drive systems.

Old 01-05-12, 10:30 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ Thanks for the tip, Otis, and to Rootboy for bringing them to my attention - I'll have to check them out.

DD
Old 01-05-12, 01:56 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Since I took today off (having some tree guys come over and remove nine of them from my front yard), I was up late getting the brake levers cleaned up. Filing of the old scrapes/scratches/pits is complete, and I'm getting close to sanding out the odd file marks remaining. The final sand/brass polish and - you guessed it - a little bit of drilling.

Here are the levers as they stand now; compare to the earlier pics in the thread:

I might have these ready for drilling tonight if my back's held out after today's tree-cutting adventure

DD
Old 01-05-12, 07:39 PM
catmandew52

Bikes: Mongoose Switchback

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DD.
I did a lot of hand finishing, barbering and polishing with air and electric die grinders in the 28 odd years I worked as machinist, machine builder and NO WAY would I have the patience to drill ALL those holes with a Dremel, let alone with the precision you seem cabable of. You have a gift.
As Otis said, Foredom's ain't cheap!! https://www.foredom.net/, but If you had one, the drill press attachment, is quite solid, but you will be limited to drills that fit the collets.
For bigger holes, your best bet is a good bench top drill press. I like Grizzly tools for their quality, over most of the other imported home shop tools. https://www.grizzly.com/products/5-Sp...ll-Press/G7942
Prices are good too!

Since 3 holes are not enough and 5 won't fit, maybe you should think about taking the next step on your path to enlightenment https://www.engravingschool.com/private/introduction.htm
Old 01-05-12, 08:14 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Yeah DD, I suspected the Dremel drill press thing was probably pretty flimsy. I have both the flex shaft Dremel and a Foredom, and the Foredom certainly is a precision tool, though I use the Dremel for hand held stuff with no problems. I'm kind of kicking myself for selling that Foredom drill press now. But what the heck. Can't keep everything and for precision stuff I have a really interesting machine. Called a high speed drill dress, for drilling tiny holes. You should see the RPMs this thing kicks out. Who knows why I bought that sucker. I don't drill too many tiny holes. Just another cool old machine. Maybe I'll try some Mini_Drilli-um with it. :>
Old 01-07-12, 07:11 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Catmandew52 - thanks for your nice comment; as it's said: practice makes perfect! And I appreciate the links as well - Grizzly's a name I've heard before and I gather they have a location near me in Bellingham.

Rootboy: If your drillium winds up half as good as your tool-making or lathe-work, I'm gonna retire my Dremel

Got my Chorus BB in the mail today; damn, this is one fine piece of engineering! Makes my old NR BBs look like they're from the Bronze Age. Since I don't have the special tools to install it, I will be visiting my LBS again in the next week.

Okay, but get this: the Davidson is the only frame I have that is English threading. I don't want to screw up removing the NR BB, so, which way do I turn the wrenches to remove the cups?

Still learning - see? You can teach an old dog new tricks

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 01-08-12 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-08-12, 04:05 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
What a great thread! Love the touches on those calipers.

I'm also looking for an English-threaded Chorus/Record BB for my Record double. That's a beauty alright.
Note: the spline tool for this BB is also the same tool for their cassette lockring. If you're adding Campy freehubs to your rides, definitely worth investing in the tool.
Oh yeah, the drive side cup is left-threaded and non-drive side is right-threaded on your Davidson.
Old 01-08-12, 05:03 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
DD, you are right about that bottom bracket, the NR version came right out of campagnolo's chromed bronze age! Those modern bb's are so much easier. Can't say that I've tried the new outboard cup design though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.