Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Importance Of Cycling Pants

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Importance Of Cycling Pants

Old 07-20-22, 04:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I've often wondered what SAG stood for and now I know. This train wreck of a post turned out to be educational.
The “SAG Wagon” is the actual vehicle used in providing support.
Old 07-20-22, 05:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The “SAG Wagon” is the actual vehicle used in providing support.

It's also fun to say 3 times fast.
Old 07-20-22, 10:18 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 1,232 Times in 711 Posts
Do you not realize that’s his goal?
Of course.
Old 07-20-22, 10:19 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by phughes
Of course.
Don’t let him get to you.
Old 07-20-22, 10:27 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 1,232 Times in 711 Posts
Don’t let him get to you.
He doesn't come close to getting to me. I don't know him, and don't personally care what his opinions are, nor is anything related to bicycling even remotely important enough to in any way upset me. On top of that, it is an internet discussion, so nothing I would get upset about. What I do though, is enjoy poking holes in his tiresome, deluded posts, when I have time and feel like doing so. I am sure though that he will soon be relegated to the ignore list unless he miraculously begins to post something worthwhile. Until then, I will keep an eye out for him riding his bent out in the wild, hoping his will be the third or fourth bent I will have seen in the wild at that point. I don't expect that will happen though, nor do I expect to see another bent anytime soon, the odds are against it.
Old 07-20-22, 10:33 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,559 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I've often wondered what SAG stood for and now I know. This train wreck of a post turned out to be educational.
I'm pretty sure "Support And Gear" is a backronym. The "sag wagon" picks up riders who are "sagging", a common way to describe someone who is running out of energy and/or motivation.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-20-22, 10:42 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
You know all about DF bikes, and yet you get so much wrong about them in your arguments. You have finally though made a correct argument in the post I'm quoting. You say, "For me," and that is the only correct statement you have made in al your arguments, and that one I can agree with. The bent works for you, and that is great. That is why we have different styles of bikes, and I am happy you found a style that works for you.

The only issue anyone has with what you post has nothing to do with the merits of a bent, the issue is you caustic manner in your arguments, making nonsensical conclusions that DF bikes are bad for one reason or another, based on the number of posts you see about an issue related to them, compared to what you see posted about the issues bents have, ignoring the fact there are simply many more DF bike on the order of millions I would estimate compared to bents. Of course there will be more posts regarding issues with DF bikes, there are simply vastly more DF bikes.

So instead of making snide, incorrect arguments about DF bike, thereby turning people off from even considering anything you say, why don't you focus on what makes a bent good for you, instead of telling people the bent is God's gift to bikes, they aren't. They are interesting, and meet the needs of some, but if they truly were so universally wonderful, they would have taken off a long time ago, and you would see them everywhere. I have seen maybe two or three in the wild. They aren't even close to popular, and there are many reasons for that. If you change you approach, and become someone people actually want to listen to, and possibly even respect, then maybe you can get some people to try them, and possibly even help someone who is dealing with issues a bent may help alleviate.
I, and others, have made the same points to him. He doesn't care.

As a recumbent rider myself, I have also have made the point to him that his evangelizing is counterproductive, and actually is turning people off to recumbents. Other bent riders have told him the same. I thought him hearing from a fellow bent rider might get through. Nope. I used to think his anti-DF posts were, in fact, a poorly executed way of espousing the virtues of recumbents, but I am no longer so sure. I think Rydabent needs counseling to deal with the massive inferiority complex he obviously has to deal with.

Most people who try recumbents and stick with them soon get over whatever insecurities they may initially feel in riding them in a world dominated by something different. Not Ryda. He's the one guy who stayed with bents but never got over it, and tries to deal with those feelings here by saying how stupid everyone else is to not like what he likes. The fact that he has 3x more posts here on BF compared to the most popular bent-only forum on the internet is telling. Why he would hang out here among the unwashed when "his people" are somewhere else? Answer: He can't plausibly tell fellow bent riders they are stupid for not liking bents.
Likes For Steamer:
Old 07-20-22, 11:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by rydabent
Again--------------------I rode DF bikes for 60 years, and know all about them. I know the plusses and minuses. For me any way the comfort and view from a bent simply cant be beat. And yes, after 17 years I know the plusses and minuses of bents too.

If that's the case, why would you ask me something as stupid as how many of my 135 miles did I spend staring at my front wheel?

You obviously know squat about riding DF bikes, anyone who actually knows how to ride a bike knows the answer to that question is none. You, on the other hand, thought it was some kind of gotcha.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-20-22, 11:27 AM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
To ride a DF bicycle for 60 years he must have liked something about it. Maybe he can no longer ride one so he has to be hard on them to not miss them.

I rode my beater Trek yesterday, I remembered to look at the front wheel so I can say I did it. Later I rode the recumbent trike, I don't know if I can ever get used to being so low to the ground and being at eye level with the tires of passing cars.
Old 07-20-22, 11:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by m.c.
To ride a DF bicycle for 60 years he must have liked something about it. Maybe he can no longer ride one so he has to be hard on them to not miss them.
I notice he's very vague about how much riding he did over those 60 years. I doubt it was very much, and am almost certain none of it was on drop bars. I think it's the last part that makes him think you need to stare at the front wheel to ride.
Old 07-20-22, 11:41 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 2,743 Times in 1,678 Posts
I hate that word "bent" to refer to a recumbent. I think I'll just call that type of bike a "***." You think Ryd would prefer that? (the three letters before "bent").

Last edited by smd4; 07-20-22 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-20-22, 12:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by smd4
I hate that word "bent" to refer to a recumbent. I think I'll just call that type of bike a "***." You think Ryd would prefer that? (the three letters before "bent").
No ***ment.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-20-22, 12:39 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8148 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Nasty.
Old 07-20-22, 12:46 PM
big john

I rode my beater Trek yesterday, I remembered to look at the front wheel so I can say I did it. Later I rode the recumbent trike, I don't know if I can ever get used to being so low to the ground and being at eye level with the tires of passing cars.
A few times the guy from the recumbent store and a friend would come out on those super-low cf bikes, the ones where your butt is only a few inches off the ground and you are almost lying down. They are so fast on the flats but we stopped at a light and the tailpipe of an old van was right in the guy's face. They were also all black and very hard to see when they went into shade.
Old 07-20-22, 01:13 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Steamer
I, and others, have made the same points to him. He doesn't care.
He doesn't care because he's trolling. He doesn't really believe many of the things he writes. He's just trying to get a rise out of people. He keeps repeating the same old tripe because it achieves its objective.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-20-22, 06:50 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 1,998 Times in 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Our club has always been recumbent friendly, partly because they are so rare. I have been a member for 33 years and there have been as many as 500 members. In all that time I can only recall 4 recumbents riding with us. One of these was on a 17 pound cf bent and he was the one who came out the most. He did fine but wouldn't do longer climbing rides. Another was the owner of Bent Up Cycles, a bent store here who used to make the Carbent brand frames. He wouldn't climb at all.

There was a young guy who rode a titanium bent and did do the long climbing rides with us, the only bent rider I ever saw doing that. He did quite well, not the fastest rider but I rode with him a bit. I'm not the fastest rider, either, btw.

There was a BF member years ago who did PBP on a bent. I think his name was Ron Smith. He was tall, like 6'6" and I met him on BF rides. Nice guy, funny, and pretty strong on the bent.

So yeah, in around 40 years and well over 200K miles of riding in a bicycle rich area and riding with several clubs I've only ridden with a handful of bents. Never had a problem with one and never had a bent rider criticize df bikes except in a friendly way.

I also can't remember staring at my front wheel, who does that?
I met Ron at PBP, probably 2015. We rode together quite a bit on Oregon brevets after that. Nice guy, strong rider for sure. Some good rando stories, but that's another thread. We both had upright bikes but rode bents on brevets. I'm a shrimp next to him at 6'3", but i think for both of us found r bent easier to get comfortable on. But evangelizing? Meh.

As far as the looking thing, personally I find a significant difference in my field of view. I'd describe it as looking up on the upright vs looking forward on the bent. But that's me, my body, my fit, my positioning.

I've ridden a 1200k on an upright, and a 1500k on a bent. It's not about the bike, that's for damn sure.
Old 07-20-22, 07:12 PM
big john

Originally Posted by downtube42
I met Ron at PBP, probably 2015. We rode together quite a bit on Oregon brevets after that. Nice guy, strong rider for sure. Some good rando stories, but that's another thread. We both had upright bikes but rode bents on brevets. I'm a shrimp next to him at 6'3", but i think for both of us found r bent easier to get comfortable on. But evangelizing? Meh.

As far as the looking thing, personally I find a significant difference in my field of view. I'd describe it as looking up on the upright vs looking forward on the bent. But that's me, my body, my fit, my positioning.

I've ridden a 1200k on an upright, and a 1500k on a bent. It's not about the bike, that's for damn sure.
Have you met Shai? He's done PBP twice on a fixed gear bike. He's also done lots of randos and Furnace Creek 508, etc., on a fixed gear.
Old 07-20-22, 09:29 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 1,998 Times in 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Have you met Shai? He's done PBP twice on a fixed gear bike. He's also done lots of randos and Furnace Creek 508, etc., on a fixed gear.
Not that I'm aware. I've ridden plenty of miles alongside people without knowing their name, but a fixie rider I'd remember. Are they ORR or SIR? I never rode Furnace Creek. A year in west Texas gave me my fill of heat, something called furnace.. eek.
Old 07-20-22, 09:44 PM
big john

Originally Posted by downtube42
Not that I'm aware. I've ridden plenty of miles alongside people without knowing their name, but a fixie rider I'd remember. Are they ORR or SIR? I never rode Furnace Creek. A year in west Texas gave me my fill of heat, something called furnace.. eek.
I don't know those initials. I asked because he's done so many of the endurance type events and, like you said, a fixie sticks out.
Furnace Creek 508 was a 508 mile race in and around Death Valley. It was shut down by the park service/forest service a few years ago when they were killing events all over by demanding money. They even stopped the L.A. Wheelmen from running a club supported century through the national forest in Southern California.

Anyway the Furnace Creek race became the Silver State 508 when it was moved to Northern Nevada.
Old 07-21-22, 12:06 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
You can get STD by riding on wet roads without fenders and pants.
I know STP is Seattle to Portland.

Is STD Seattle to Denver or Dover or Dallas?
Old 07-21-22, 01:11 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4183 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
I know STP is Stone Temple Pilots

Is STD Seattle to Denver or Dover or Dallas?
FTFY

They've been called STI for a number of years now, but STIs used to be called VD before STD.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-21-22, 03:21 PM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3345 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If that's the case, why would you ask me something as stupid as how many of my 135 miles did I spend staring at my front wheel?

You obviously know squat about riding DF bikes, anyone who actually knows how to ride a bike knows the answer to that question is none. You, on the other hand, thought it was some kind of gotcha.
Quite frankly I think it is you that knows squat about how people ride DF bikes. In those 60 years I rode DF bikes and the 17 years I have been on bents I have observed how people ride their DF bike. They spend A LOT OF TIME STARING DOWN AT THE FRONT WHEEL OR THE GROUND. Cranking your head up to look ahead causes pain in the back of the neck on long rides. Been there done that.
Old 07-21-22, 03:30 PM
rydabent

What a crock. I just measured the top of the tire on my pick up. The top of the tire is 30 inches. Name one bent that puts your eye level just 30 inches off the ground.

BTW I also ride a TerraTrike Tour II. It is one of the lower trikes. The lowest point is only 6 inches off the ground. I sat in the seat, and I had my wife measure the height of my eyes off the ground. She measured almost 40 inches, and again that is on my trike.
Old 07-21-22, 03:43 PM
rydabent

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I notice he's very vague about how much riding he did over those 60 years. I doubt it was very much, and am almost certain none of it was on drop bars. I think it's the last part that makes him think you need to stare at the front wheel to ride.
From the 3rd grade to the 11th grade I rode my DF bikes to school every day weather permitting. I was off any bikes while I was in the Navy, and the early years at work. I started riding again in the early 70s, and all the time after the late 70s riding with my boys. I got a cheap bike about 70, a nice Schwinn LeTour about 76, a good touring bike in the mid 80s followed by two mountain bikes after that. I put tens of thousands of miles on them. Even more when I joint the local bike club in 84. Then in 2005 I went bent, and just passed 25,000 miles on them last year. At this point I am very well versed on bikes of all kinds and trikes also.

So as you can see, your personal attacks on me are a crock. Just because I have moved on to what I personally consider a newer modern type of bike, all your attacks WILL NOT get me to go back to the sore ass, arms, neck and hands of a 1890 design bike. If you or any one else likes them, fine the pain is not in my ass. Also being coldly logical I am well aware there places bents and trike cant go for the most part, like single track mountain biking.

The real question is-------------how many of the wanna be racer boyz that roundly denounce bents of any type on this forum have ever ridden one over 100 miles. I would be willing to bet very few. OTOH as I noted I have tens of thousands of miles on several DF bikes.

Last edited by rydabent; 07-21-22 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-21-22, 03:56 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 2,743 Times in 1,678 Posts
You don’t ride with a little orange flag on your recumbent, do you??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.