Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Almost July. Let's See Your C&V RAGBRAI Bike.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Almost July. Let's See Your C&V RAGBRAI Bike.

Old 08-02-22, 04:09 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 152 Posts
I just got home to the Philly burbs after a few days of driving back from Lansing, which included stops at the Field of Dreams in Dyersville and a Guardians game in Cleveland.

My family and I had a blast! We camped on residents' lawns and had access to a bathroom and shower each night. The people of Iowa are incredibly welcoming and hospitable. I got to meet lots of people during the rides, which made what would've been tough miles go by without a second thought. I strained one of my Achilles midway through the week and had to nurse it the second half to make it through. Overall it was a great experience! I don't recall seeing any of the other bikes posted in this thread, but I did see a Claud Butler on the last or second to last day — I don't believe it was albrt 's, but maybe. I was a bit too tunnel-visioned at that point to make any useful conversion.
Likes For Rooney:
Old 08-02-22, 08:30 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 320 Posts
That was probably me - I didn't see any other Clauds. The bike looked a little different because I did not use the aeros.
Old 08-03-22, 12:43 AM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Makes sense. I think you and your crew were joining back onto the ride from an Amish or Mennonite-run refueling stop. I'd pulled off because I thought they had lemonade or something and decided to keep going but eyed up your bike pretty good. Had I not been so delirious, I might've put two and two together and struck up a conversation.
Old 08-03-22, 12:47 AM
Rooney 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Cool!

The first and last days are always a little nerve-wracking for me as they tend to be the hilliest, but everything else is generally smooth sailing. Just bring a little more cash with you each day than you think you'll need -- that's all some vendors will take. Oh, and remember to apply plenty of sunscreen and butt butter each morning, and drink plenty of water as you go.
This advice was incredibly helpful by the way. Subscribing to each aspect made the ride much more enjoyable, thank you!
Likes For Rooney:
Old 08-03-22, 05:25 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked 3,308 Times in 1,555 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooney
.... Had I not been so delirious, I might've put two and two together and struck up a conversation.
Part of the fun of these rides is the ability to notice someone on an interesting bike and start chatting with them. Perhaps this is easier when you are looking for vintage or custom steel bikes, but I'm constantly talking to whoever (whomever?) is riding a nice Jack Taylor, Rivendell, Waterford, etc. There are some neat bikes out there, and the owners are probably pretty interesting too!

I ran into this fellow on an incredible Waterford on the Hilly Hundred ride four years ago...

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-03-22, 11:05 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,559 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooney
This advice was incredibly helpful by the way. Subscribing to each aspect made the ride much more enjoyable, thank you!
So glad it helped! Good judgment comes from experience, as they say...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498