Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nipples and section rims.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-05-22, 12:59 AM
gate28

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hullo. Is there anyway to do get nipples down to the holes of a deep section without buying a special tool?
Thanks.
Old 08-05-22, 01:46 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 189 Posts
Just use another spoke threaded a little bit into the top (cap) of the nipple to guide it in and start threading it onto the proper spoke, then unscrew the "tool' spoke

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 08-05-22, 02:43 AM
gate28

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
But for a whole wheel? It would take ages?
Old 08-05-22, 05:36 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 363 Posts
Kabob skewers work if you have a pencil sharpener handy. I build with rims as deep as 88 mm and it works for me.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 08-05-22, 07:36 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Just use another spoke threaded a little bit into the top (cap) of the nipple to guide it in and start threading it onto the proper spoke, then unscrew the "tool' spoke
Originally Posted by gate28
How long is it taking you to shake each nipple down into the right place in the right orientation?
Old 08-05-22, 08:03 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 2,743 Times in 1,678 Posts
Were you being serious when you typed that?
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-05-22, 08:40 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 734 Posts
JoeTBM's suggestion to thread a spoke into the nipple really doesn't take much time at all and may be the best method. You only need to thread it about two turns. You could also use some old shifter or brake cable, insert cable from inner side of rim into spoke hole, slide spoke nipple on cable down into hole but I think you'll find it's not as quick as using the spoke method. Cable may be substituted with straightened paper clip or a hundred other things.
Old 08-05-22, 08:44 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4153 Post(s)
Liked 3,751 Times in 2,245 Posts
I use a machinist's scribe (K&D offers one). At work we use a sharpened spoke. With a little practice one can place the nipple of the sharpened end of the tool, place the nipple into the rim's hole, line up the spoke and get the initial threads to engage before pulling out the tool. One only has to shake the rim if the nipple is lost off the tool before it is started on the spoke threads.

How long this takes? Only an extra minute per spoke. Is this reasonable (my take on the OP's "take ages" comment)? Well if you want to use that rim then yes. That is what that choice will need time wise. Pretty much a choice and result driven need.

I'll make a snarky comment here. If this kind of procedure and the time it takes is unacceptable than don't do it and pay someone else for their skill and patience. If the OP was working for me at a shop I was running and expressed this attitude more than a few times I would wonder why they were trying to be a bike mechanic at all. Andy
Old 08-05-22, 10:51 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I have a tool that locks into the grove of the spoke head and it comes off easily.

Ullman Devices Ullman DE-2 Aluminum Double Ended Screw Starter - 6-3/4 in. Screw Holder with Phillips and Slotted Head. Industrial Hand Tools: Hand Tools: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement
Likes For davidad:
Old 08-05-22, 10:58 AM
veloz

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I use a cotton swab (Q-tip) with the head cut off at a sharp angle.
Likes For veloz:
Old 08-05-22, 11:01 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked 1,218 Times in 842 Posts
If that's ages, life is so fleeting for you you'd be dead by now and this post would be moot.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 08-05-22, 12:14 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 363 Posts
I have a few of those and I never use them anymore. For 60 mm and under rims I use Wheel Fanatyc nipple holder and the aforementioned kabob skewers for the deeper ones. I find it works better and faster and I lose fewer nipples inside the rim
Old 08-05-22, 12:30 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4730 Post(s)
Liked 3,831 Times in 2,491 Posts
Nipple starters

The trick (and it's both easy and fast) - take a dead spoke of the right diameter and thread, screw a nipple on backwards all the way and tighten a little more with the spoke wrench. Cut the spoke roughly midway and bend a nice handle on. This leaves just enough threads to quickly thread the nipple on. Screw on the nipple. Reach in with the nipple, start the spoke, grab with the spoke wrench and unscrew your new tool. (Make separate tools for every thread and diameter that you used.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 08-05-22 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typos!
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-05-22, 01:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,559 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by veloz
I use a cotton swab (Q-tip) with the head cut off at a sharp angle.
Similar; toothpick with the pointed end trimmed off here. Just cut off a bit more when the end gets munged up.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-06-22, 02:26 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 189 Posts
Hullo. Is there anyway to do get nipples down to the holes of a deep section without buying a special tool?
Thanks.
Originally Posted by JoeTBM

So let me understand you, you ask a question looking for "any" answer, we give you one and now you are complaining!

It really doesn't take long, just a few seconds a nipple extra.

The reason I like this method is that the nipple will not slip off the "tool "insuring proper insertion (and easier reinserting), great to work at any angle.

Last edited by JoeTBM; 08-06-22 at 02:32 AM.
Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 08-06-22, 02:46 AM
gate28

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yes.
Old 08-06-22, 10:09 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I have a few of those and I never use them anymore. For 60 mm and under rims I use Wheel Fanatyc nipple holder and the aforementioned kabob skewers for the deeper ones. I find it works better and faster and I lose fewer nipples inside the rim
I don't build many and as of late haven't built any.
Old 08-06-22, 10:37 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4730 Post(s)
Liked 3,831 Times in 2,491 Posts
I forgot in my post above what I do each spoke. I poke the nipple driver with spoke through, push the spoke into it, turn the driver until the nipple is fully started, push the spoke into a bend with the hand holding the spoke wrench and tighten spoke to the end of the threads (for usual builds; sometimes I need to let two or three threads show). I can tighten till the spoke hits the driver spoke if I want. I back the driver out while still holding the spoke wrench.

Yes, not an instantaneous process. But I never drop a nipple. And I hate chasing them out. It's also brain dead easy so I can save those cells for truing. And the drivers hand nicely with my spoke wrenches so for next wheel they're ready to go
Old 08-07-22, 03:39 AM
gate28

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I forgot in my post above what I do each spoke. I poke the nipple driver with spoke through, push the spoke into it, turn the driver until the nipple is fully started, push the spoke into a bend with the hand holding the spoke wrench and tighten spoke to the end of the threads (for usual builds; sometimes I need to let two or three threads show). I can tighten till the spoke hits the driver spoke if I want. I back the driver out while still holding the spoke wrench.

Yes, not an instantaneous process. But I never drop a nipple. And I hate chasing them out. It's also brain dead easy so I can save those cells for truing. And the drivers hand nicely with my spoke wrenches so for next wheel they're ready to go

Nice solution 79pmooney. This will work for me. Thanks also for all the suggestions.
Old 08-17-22, 04:32 AM
gate28

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Actually this just arrived. What a fantastic tool!
Ullman Devices Ullman DE-2 Aluminum Double Ended Screw Starter - 6-3/4 in. Screw Holder with Phillips and Slotted Head. Industrial Hand Tools: Hand Tools: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement
Perfect.