Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Mi:TAP SEMCOG Interactive map

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-22, 02:12 PM
detroitjim

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 48 Posts

Ever wonder what has happen or is happening with those SE Michigan Transportation Alternatives Program grants you heard about.
I did..... This is what I found.

Very Nice!!!

https://maps.semcog.org/TAP/

Likes For detroitjim:
Old 01-16-22, 02:36 PM
detroitjim

RAISE/BUILD/TIGER Interactive map

Here's one for RAISE/BUILD/TIGER 2009-2021 Awarded Projects ...Entire US(not all cycling related)

https://www.transportation.gov/polic...ards-2009-2020

Likes For detroitjim:
Old 01-19-22, 07:36 PM
DTownDave22

Bikes: hybrid

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've noticed Telegraph Rd. in that stretch there in the map on the SOUTH-bound side in Taylor doesn't have sidewalks.

I notice something that is common in townships but in cities..it should not exist hardly at all. That is: the existence of stretches of a road with NO bleeping sidewalk. I'm generally aware there are stipulations regarding sidewalks being adjacent to properties with improvements in a city but that kind of ignores the fact that the sidewalks are part of a larger inter-connected system and something that I, like others, will use to bike occasionally for moderate distances on roads with 1-lane each way as it;s not ideal but better than the aforementioned alternative. Not to mention people walking longer distances or even running..which I do.

I wouldn't want to just give input blindly without trying to do some homework. Problem is, I don't know how I'd learn more about the conditions that must exist for a sidewalk to be able to be constructed, not the question of there being money in the budget. Might just have to start politely pestering people until I get some answers in different cities

KEY QUESTION: Really though, how much $/1 mile of a sidewalk does it take to construct and then how much does it add to a budget long-term?

It feels like something that is hard to make an argument against in comparison to how much money is spent elsewhere in DOT budgets. I don't want to be brushed off, and being ignorant.

Does anyone have suggestions for learning more about this matter, mainly regarding the key question highlighted above? Think I may at least try MDOT. Think I might still have some contact info (supposedly someone in MDOT that is a bike person..though I won't get my hopes up high at all). Maybe he could direct me to someone who does if he does not.

Feels rather ambitious if it's not given it's Michigan, but I feel like at the very least, if it's not already, advocates should be pushing for ped infra to be eligibile for state and fed. DOT $. If it is, then wtf are they doing with the money? The codes need to be updated into the 21st century..unless again my primary question..what are the requirements for a sidewalk to be constructed?
Old 01-19-22, 08:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by DTownDave22
I've noticed Telegraph Rd. in that stretch there in the map on the SOUTH-bound side in Taylor doesn't have sidewalks.

I notice something that is common in townships but in cities..it should not exist hardly at all. That is: the existence of stretches of a road with NO bleeping sidewalk. I'm generally aware there are stipulations regarding sidewalks being adjacent to properties with improvements in a city but that kind of ignores the fact that the sidewalks are part of a larger inter-connected system and something that I, like others, will use to bike occasionally for moderate distances on roads with 1-lane each way as it;s not ideal but better than the aforementioned alternative. Not to mention people walking longer distances or even running..which I do.

I wouldn't want to just give input blindly without trying to do some homework. Problem is, I don't know how I'd learn more about the conditions that must exist for a sidewalk to be able to be constructed, not the question of there being money in the budget. Might just have to start politely pestering people until I get some answers in different cities

KEY QUESTION: Really though, how much $/1 mile of a sidewalk does it take to construct and then how much does it add to a budget long-term?

It feels like something that is hard to make an argument against in comparison to how much money is spent elsewhere in DOT budgets. I don't want to be brushed off, and being ignorant.

Does anyone have suggestions for learning more about this matter, mainly regarding the key question highlighted above? Think I may at least try MDOT. Think I might still have some contact info (supposedly someone in MDOT that is a bike person..though I won't get my hopes up high at all). Maybe he could direct me to someone who does if he does not.

Feels rather ambitious if it's not given it's Michigan, but I feel like at the very least, if it's not already, advocates should be pushing for ped infra to be eligibile for state and fed. DOT $. If it is, then wtf are they doing with the money? The codes need to be updated into the 21st century..unless again my primary question..what are the requirements for a sidewalk to be constructed?
from my little bit of poking the bear, I've came to the conclusion that it boils down to politics/stereotyping. Most places that dont have ped thru-ways that connect cities & towns is a form of purposed segregation.
Old 01-19-22, 09:22 PM
DTownDave22

Bikes: hybrid

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Troul
from my little bit of poking the bear, I've came to the conclusion that it boils down to politics/stereotyping. Most places that dont have ped thru-ways that connect cities & towns is a form of purposed segregation.
I'd need to know a bit more than "poking the bear." I would guess drainage is one issue in some cases and adding to the budget..but that doesn't mesh with the fact that they choose automobile-heavy infra in this area by far. There is more to infrastructure than what meets the eye but I'm just starting to feel motivated to actually ask. I just often cringe at the thought of much of anything changing in this area though but am going to at least get involved more. Kind of hard when I go to watch a video of a past meeting and it's not available. (Sigh...I mean..is it surprising?) There are meetings most months (if not all) twice a month. Is one tomorrow on Jan. 20 @ 10A. I've really not been following the news for a while and grown tired of a lot in the world..which is one reason I'm feeling more motivated to at least try getting involved. Zoom meetings make attending virtually way more accessible but this being Michigan, I'm guessing there's more than a marginal chance they did away with that in a lot of meetings.

I literally just looked at Wayne County's website and doing some basic reasoning, figure that the Wayne Co. commissioners are the ones that are a general body to whom I could contact/ attend a meeting of regarding at least one lower hanging fruit. Adding f***ing sidewalks or a path to a damn Co. park that has lacked one for years. Yes, there are sidewalks there but they don't encompass the park (as I'm probably repeating myself now). I'm looking at how they rubber stamp construction to the HUGE funds for roads..

JOURNAL OF THE COMMISSION
CHARTER COUNTY OF WAYNE
STATE OF MICHIGAN

Thursday, December 16, 2021

"Approval of an intergovernmental agreement between the Charter County of
Wayne and the Michigan Department of Transportation in the estimated amount
of $3,526,230 for road improvements along West Outer Drive from West Jefferson
to the Ecorse city limit"
https://www.waynecounty.com/elected/...-journals.aspx

They have money for 3.5 million dollars for a segment of a road..and I am not so sure about this but it says W. Outer Drive TO Ecorse City Limits

Accordingto Google Maps that is about 1 milehttps://goo.gl/maps/sBjoE7pNH3ZY5ZWn8

Yet they can't add a damn path to a park in an area that isn't exactly filled with recreation that is easily accessible for people (read: boating). I feel like kayaks would be somewhat similar to biking in this hellscape on most roads. Navigating obnoxious boaters/jet skis and huge freighters (not all are obnoxious but most boaters are not putzing along at 10 MPH and create a wake, especially freighters) ..but not nearly as bad as road cycling in busy areas (as again there are fewer boats compared to cars on the road). Pretty sure kayaks stay closer to shore anyway but my overall original point stands as I digress.

Last edited by DTownDave22; 01-19-22 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-19-22, 09:31 PM
detroitjim

No doubt ....What year is this ???? No sidewalks in the urban areas of SE Michigan is disgraceful.

There are at least two spots that I ride that don't have ADA sidewalk ramps. Fortunately I don't use sidewalks much but must occasionally on no shoulder,hjgh traffic,high speed thoroughfares. Luckily it was daylight when I first encountered it ,noticed the drop and stopped before any catastrophe. Brought it to the attention of an employee of that city's engineering department I saw a few days later. Ain't nothing been done. That was several years ago.
Old 01-19-22, 10:46 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
If a legit bicycle infrastructure was built & maintained, that'd take away finger pointing & complaining that some of society tends to do as a full-time job.