Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hookless wheels, tubetype tyres?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hookless wheels, tubetype tyres?

Old 07-21-22, 07:07 AM
RiccardoITA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hookless wheels, tubetype tyres, for Mavic: yes?

I have a set of Mavic Allroad S wheels, and my new bike comes with Schwalbe One tubetype tires, 30/32mm.

Can I use my wheels with the stock tires?

Wheels are hookless, and you generally need TLR tires for them. However Mavic specifications are: "Tire: UST Tubeless and tubetype" (Source: Mavic website on Allroad S).

I even wrote to Mavic Italy, and they replied that all their wheels are compatible with "tubeless o tubeless ready o clincher standard."

Why? Any advice? The Schwalbe tires are (I think) folding but ( for sure) tubetype.

Last edited by RiccardoITA; 07-21-22 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-21-22, 08:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Maybe a little dated since hookless is somewhat making a comeback. But this is from Schwalbe's FAQ.

WHAT SHOULD BE OBSERVED FOR THE FITTING ON HOOKLESS RIMS?

A "hooked rim" is the normal case nowadays - i.e. a rim where the rim flanges end inwards at the top with a hook. However, there are also many so-called "Westwood" rims on the market. Dutch bikes, for example, are often on it. These classic rims have no hook to hold and center the tire. In addition, Westwood rims are made of steel with a very smooth surface. These rims require special attention during installation.

Manual centering. Before the tire is inflated tightly, it is necessary to ensure that it is centered on the rim. Unlike a hook rim, the tire does not automatically slide into place when inflated. If the tire sits unevenly, it can easily pop off the rim.
Air pressure max. 4 bar. Generally, such rims are not suitable for high pressure. The maximum possible air pressure of the tire can usually not be exhausted on such rims. The ETRTO standard limits the air pressure to 5 bar. We recommend that you allow for a little more safety reserve and leave it at four bars. This also means that these rims are not well suited for narrow tires or heavy riders.
Meanwhile, there are also modern MTB carbon rims without hooks on the market. According to our experience so far, however, tire mounting on them works without any problems. Through appropriate flank heights and material surfaces (friction) is a sufficient jump-off security.

[size=13px]

[/size]

https://schwalbetires.com/technology-faq/fitting/

Unless you just wish to be experimental and assume your own risks, then going by the manufacturer recommendations are probably the best way to go. Not all manufacturer's recommend the same. So read through their documentation and FAQ's so you know these things.

Not certain about the desperation I sense in your post. Nor what the actual question is. But even if you shouldn't put the tire on that rim, you'll find out at some point that you shouldn't have done it. And at worst you'll probably just have to call someone to come get you.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-21-22 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-21-22, 08:10 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 734 Posts
If Mavic flat out says they're OK for tubed, I think that is all the evidence you need. Mavic is aware that they would have to deal with so many lawsuits of blown off clinchers they would be out of business if the rim/tire weren't compatible.
Old 07-21-22, 08:33 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,559 Times in 1,574 Posts
Seems like it should work as long as you observe the max pressure ratings.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-21-22, 09:13 AM
RiccardoITA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you for all replies, I will look - this weekend - at the specifics on the rim for max pressure (and maybe for tyre compatibility, if there is written something).

Of course, I was (and I still am) not sure about my interpretation of the information I found, because I have no experience on tires/wheels compatibility; that's the reason I asked on the forum.

Last edited by RiccardoITA; 07-21-22 at 09:38 AM.