Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ksyrium tubeless ?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ksyrium tubeless ?

Old 07-21-22, 09:14 AM
merlinrkd

Bikes: BMZ Performance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Ksyrium tubeless ?

I have a pair of older Mavic Ksyrium wheels. Pre disc. Wondering if I can go tubeless with new Conti Gran Prix 5000. The tires are not tubeless ready. Moderate recreational riding. Usually not more than 15 miles from home.
Old 07-21-22, 09:22 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,559 Times in 1,574 Posts
I would guess not. You want the rim to be shaped properly for tubeless, especially if using higher pressures.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-21-22, 09:25 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 952 Posts
Non tubeless tires on a non tubeless rim is not a safe combination even if you could manage to get the tire inflated
Old 07-21-22, 09:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
IMO, as long as you make your rims capable of going tubeless, you should have no worries other than maybe it won't compare well to a wheel that is built with the intention of use with tubeless tires.

And don't forget that Continental GP5000's come in tubed or tubeless versions. Just like wheels, expect the tubeless version to perform better in a tubeless setup.

I doubt you'll have a life threatening experience if you try.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...ss-ready-rims/
Old 07-21-22, 12:37 PM
merlinrkd

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thx for the ideas. What kinda got me thinking is the Mavic rims don't have spoke holes. So there isn't a taping the spoke holes issue at all. And the Contis are so dang tight. When I looked at the Tubeless Ready stuff put out by Mavic they show a TR tire that readily mounts without tools!
Old 07-21-22, 03:47 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
If you don't have tubeless ready rims and tires don't do it. Especially the tires. Why would you take the chance?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-21-22, 06:52 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 297 Posts
I have the same older Ksyrium wheels (no exposed spoke holes where the tire seats, but not labeled as tubeless). You can try a tubeless tire and see how it seats. I wouldn't do it for a road tire (high psi) but it might be ok for a gravel tire (low psi) application. My only tubeless tires are already mounted to another wheelset otherwise I'd check it for you.

You might still need tubeless tape though if there is a seam in the rim.
Old 07-22-22, 01:08 PM
merlinrkd

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the input. I think I'll go with latex tubes.
Old 07-26-22, 09:28 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 335 Posts
Ksyrium's tubed and commando.....

I have several sets of Ksyriums, as well as several sets of Mavics. I have both the "older" versions and the UST versions of Ksyriums.

1-The older Ksyriums, despite not showing spoke holes, are not great candidates for tubeless. They were simply not designed for them, and conversion kits are not as reliable as some might say. It can be done, but can it be done well? Maybe. There are exceptions to every "rule."

2-The Ksyrium UST's are excellent tubeless wheels, and work best with the Yksion tubeless tires. Good pairing of like-minded items. I would not use them with non-tubeless tires in tubeless mode. If you use tubeless tires in tube mode, have fun if you get a flat. They are tough getting on/off.

3-My Conti GP5000 TL tires are excellent, but pretty fat for my Ksyrium UST's. I use them on Bontrager RXL/TLR's and HED Ardennes. I think the interior width on these is better suited for the beefy GP5000 TL than the Ksyrium UST's.

Were I to run older Ksyriums again (and once a nipple is replaced, I will), I'm going with GP4000's x 25. Just seems a better match, in my experience.

When I run my newer Ksyrium UST (a set each of Elites and Pro's), I'm running Yksion tubeless tires, x25. Just seems a perfect match, in my experience.

When I run my GP5000 TL's, I look for a wider rim, as stated before. The HED Ardennes actually work better than the Bontrager RXL/TLR's but I like the Bonnie hubs. I just acquired a set of Mavic Open Pro CD UST rims, laced to DA9000 hubs. I think these may be actually great with GP5000 TL's. Or Schwabe Pro One's.

Sidebar: I'm not a fan of latex tubes, but everyone has their preferences. I prefer lightweight tubes, but have had issues with latex.

Good luck with whatever you do, just wanted to let you know I've experienced both era of Ksyriums, and I stick to tubes where so designed and tubeless where so designed.